Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Devaluation..30k max award level no longer the case! Some Radisson's showing at 35k

Devaluation..30k max award level no longer the case! Some Radisson's showing at 35k

Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Devaluation..30k max award level no longer the case after the merger!

I think this is worth a separate thread as it is a devaluation!

Now that Radisson hotels are bookable on the Choice website, it appears that the more desirable Radisson properties are at 35k for an award night. In addition, it appears that they used this opportunity to also increased some more desirable traditional Choice hotels to 35k as well.

Radisson's Above 30k:
Radisson Blu Chicago 35k
Radisson Blu Toronto 35k
Radisson Blu Aruba 35k

Old Choice Hotels now above 30K:
Cambria Fort Lauderdale Beach 35k
Country Inn & Suites San Carlos, CA 35k
Cambria Anaheim, CA 35k

Last edited by christianj; Jul 26, 2023 at 6:09 pm
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
I think this is worth a separate thread as it is a devaluation!

Now that Radisson hotels are bookable on the Choice website, it appears that the more desirable Radisson properties are at 35k for an award night. In addition, it appears that they used this opportunity to also increased some more desirable traditional Choice hotels to 35k as well.

Radisson's Above 30k:
Radisson Blu Chicago 35k
Radisson Blu Toronto 35k
Radisson Blu Aruba 35k
Country Inn & Suites San Carlos, CA 35k

Old Choice Hotels now above 30K:
Cambria Fort Lauderdale Beach

Not true. They were before 70000 radisson points (=35 000 choice points). The radisson integration is fair.
mswtravels likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northernstar84
Not true. They were before 70000 radisson points (=35 000 choice points). The radisson integration is fair.
You're clearly missing the point here! I am saying that Choice which previously had a max redemption level of 30k for an award night, upped the max redemption level to 35k with the addition of the Radisson portfolio. I did NOT say that previous Radisson Reward members are going to loose out vs what the redemptions were with Radisson USA. (I think we can all do the math you showed of 35k Choice = 70k RR based on the conversion they offered.)

I would think that most people assumed that there would be some benefit to the Radisson properties that cost more than 60k RR points were transitioned over the Choice since they had promoted their program as having a 30k max redemption level.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:07 am

You're clearly missing the point here! I am saying that Choice which previously had a max redemption level of 30k for an award night, upped the max redemption level to 35k with the addition of the Radisson portfolio. I did NOT say that previous Radisson Reward members are going to loose out vs what the redemptions were with Radisson USA. (I think we can all do the math you showed of 35k Choice = 70k RR based on the conversion they offered.)

I would think that most people assumed that there would be some benefit to the Radisson properties that cost more than 60k RR points were transitioned over the Choice since they had promoted their program as having a 30k max redemption level.
Then the max is now 35 000 . I agree with them would do the same. For example Radisson Aruba is very expensive.

There is even an hotel in Denmark for 40k and this before the merger
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Then the max is now 35 000 . I agree with them would do the same. For example Radisson Aruba is very expensive.
If you think it is fair, then great for you! You also missed the point that clearly they also increased some Choice hotels in the process to 35k as well so that's a devaluation of 17% for those properties.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:13 am

If you think it is fair, then great for you! You also missed the point that clearly they also increased some Choice hotels in the process to 35k as well so that's a devaluation of 17% for those properties.
but the max 30k is not true. There are hotels in Sweden and Denmark for 35k and 40k and this already BEFORE the radisson merger. How comes?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:30 am
Original Poster

but the max 30k is not true. There are hotels in Sweden and Denmark for 35k and 40k and this already BEFORE the radisson merger. How comes?
News to me as I was only familiar with the 30k max. Is it because those are Nordic Choice (now Strawberry) properties which are separate?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:32 am

News to me as I was only familiar with the 30k max. Is it because those are Nordic Choice (now Strawberry) properties which are separate?
Was it in the T&C that the max should be 30k for one night?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:08 am

Have you seen any Choice properties above 30k that are not Strawberry and not Radisson?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Have you seen any Choice properties above 30k that are not Strawberry and not Radisson?
Yes, What Christian quoted above the Cambria @ FLL Beach & Country Inn San Carlos -- although I am new to choice, too, as many here are, there apparently was a rule that the top most point hotels in the Americas portfolio would be 30K -- that has now been pierced by the Cambria, which I assume heretofore was only at 30K.

As a new Choice, and old, Radisson member, I can live with that as I was "not around" previously, and point devaluation is inevitable.

Moreover, although there are many many many Choice hotels that I would pass by -- given their reviews -- I think the pricing is fair and I like that I could often book upwards to a suite for the same points -- if I get in early -- for the standard hotel room.

So too, do I like the quarterly discount award sales on some hotels similar to what IHG used to run. In fact, just snagged a hotel room at the Black Swan Inn (Ascend) in the Berkshires for 20,000 points.

And, although it probably is nothing more than an old warmed over motor hotel, the $$ cost is over $400/night plus taxes -- no wonder some reviews are not complimentary.

At old Radisson rates of 1/4 cents per point and for the conversion amount of 40,000 Radisson points at 1/4 cents per point = $160. That is a steal for the published room rate and also quite good for a Saturday night in the summer -- so I will test it out and no doubt will be satisfied -- as well as happy that Radisson properties have now been integrated.

Not only do those properties now appear more often with award availability on weekends than they did under the old website, they also allow one the ability to select other rooms than just a standard room.

So, altogether happy especially when compared to Radisson non-Americas reward schedule, albeit recognize that Choice has pierced the 30,000 point limit on US properties.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

I only found the two Choice properties now at 35k by chance. If anyone else finds any, please add to this thread.

I’ve added Cambria Anaheim to original post at 35k.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 26, 2023 at 6:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.