Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Sleep Inn Hotels That Are No Longer A Sleep Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:41 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Name a Sleep Inn property that is no longer a Sleep Inn. Ready, set, GO!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: I sign up for programs so they have my preferences on file.
Best Western Plus, Travelers Rest, SC. (Has been a BW for several years now if not longer).
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Sleep Inn Parsons, KS - built as Sleep Inn, converted to Rodeway Inn, now Quality Inn. They must sure like to buy signs...

Sleep Inn Auburn, CA - built as Sleep Inn, now Motel 6
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:58 pm

If they want to stay with Choice- they are just downgraded to either a Quality Inn or Rodeway inn ; or if switching to Wyndham then either a Baymont or Travelodge or Days inn. Or a Motel 6 or Red roof. If the property is in decent shape - then best western with some minor changes. Either way I would simply avoid at staying any of those as they are going to be pretty beat up and have a lot of wear and tear!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by deltheking
If they want to stay with Choice- they are just downgraded to either a Quality Inn or Rodeway inn ; or if switching to Wyndham then either a Baymont or Travelodge or Days inn. Or a Motel 6 or Red roof. If the property is in decent shape - then best western with some minor changes. Either way I would simply avoid at staying any of those as they are going to be pretty beat up and have a lot of wear and tear!
I generally agree with what you are saying but it depends. The property in Parsons, KS was built as Sleep Inn and converted to Rodeway a couple years after it opened. It was a very nice property with very low occupancy and I am suspicious it is cheaper to use Rodeway Inn and they switched for money reasons. Now I find it interesting they went with Quality instead of back to Sleep or even to Comfort.

The only other time I stayed in a Sleep Inn was at MCI Airport after a flight was canceled and it was one of the few places with availability that was not very overpriced. I knew at that point it was a bad sign. There was literally no Hilton affilated property available within 30 miles of the airport due to all of the canceled flights. Rather than waste more time I took a chance on the, at the time, 3.5/5 on Trip Advisor Sleep Inn. It was acceptable but rather beat up, not the cleanest, and felt somewhat safe but not as safe as I'd prefer... would not stay there again unless in a bind, but would consider it again in a bind.

Parsons isn't the only time I've experienced a low end Choice brand placed on a hotel that should not have it because the hotel is too nice...

In Hadley, MA there is an Econo Lodge. This hotel opened as Econo Lodge. There is no way this was built as an Econo Lodge. The rumor is it was built to be a Fairfield Inn but something happened and it ended up as Econo Lodge. Doesn't look like a Fairfield to me... looks more like a Sleep Inn. But room size is too large for it to have been built as a Sleep Inn.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

The Smokey Mountain Inn & Suites in Cherokee NC used to be a Sleep Inn back in the 90's...maybe the early 2000's.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:54 pm

The Days Inn at Flint MI airport was built as a Sleep Inn… it became a Rodeway Inn sometime between 2011 and 2017… and then switched to Days Inn sometime between 2019 and 2022.

(My dates are based on the google street view dates)
Will Stonehocker likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:23 am
Original Poster

More often than not, these former Sleep Inn hotels tend to be poorly maintained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.