Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Hotels to acquire Radisson Hotels Americas.

Choice Hotels to acquire Radisson Hotels Americas.

Old Oct 17, 22, 1:07 pm

I'm getting a vibe from the Marriott/Starwood merger that happened in 2016.
centrifuge41 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 22, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; IHG/BW Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Either you misread or you mistype. It is to consolidate the Radisson America accounts before the benefit is taken away.
I did mistype. I'm good for one per week. Hopefully some will benefit anyway.
Old Oct 18, 22, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker View Post
I'm getting a vibe from the Marriott/Starwood merger that happened in 2016.
Thats my concern too. I am just hoping Choice is lazy enough to not change too much. But given how company management and their backers justify these kind of acquisitions, squeezing blood out of a penny may be the expected order of the day.
Old Oct 18, 22, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
That’s my concern too. I am just hoping Choice is lazy enough to not change too much. But given how company management and their backers justify these kind of acquisitions, squeezing blood out of a penny may be the expected order of the day.
I think most of the people that were with Starwood were generally ok with how Marriott handled the transfer of points and elite levels....it was the execution and the complete lack of Customer Service and not actually living up to what they promised that started the revolt among SPG elites.
Old Oct 18, 22, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I think most of the people that were with Starwood were generally ok with how Marriott handled the transfer of points and elite levels....it was the execution and the complete lack of Customer Service and not actually living up to what they promised that started the revolt among SPG elites.
Its the point devaluation trajectory that concerns me. I have had at least two waves of bailing on whatever program Radisson has had, and it was the points devaluations that had me ditching them each time. Have never trusted Radissons programs since.

Ive not had to ditch Choice over program devaluations yet, but Im concerned that this acquisition of Radisson Americas and the Radisson points could turn out to put a stop to the awesome returns I get from redeeming Choice points. 8k-10k Choice points to avoid a $200+ night outlay? Thats what Im more concerned about losing than my remaining Radisson points converting over to Choice even at 3:1. The Choice elite levels are basically useless from my perspective, and the customer service is in need of service things that this Choice acquisition of Radisson Americas would not change for the better either.

With Marriotts acquisition of Starwood, many had higher expectations and assumed they would get the best of both not appreciating what the price paid and competitive landscape would mean. With Choices acquisition of Radisson, expectations should have been low from the beginning.
Old Oct 18, 22, 8:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Its the point devaluation trajectory that concerns me. I have had at least two waves of bailing on whatever program Radisson has had, and it was the points devaluations that had me ditching them each time. Have never trusted Radissons programs since.
I stopped trusting Radisson after ValueMags.

I stopped trusting Choice after Amtrak.

Both were essentially zero-notice devaluations.

Choice recently had a promo to transfer to United, so I cleaned out my account. No orphan points to think about, and reduced exposure to treachery. On the other hand, United did screw its Lifetime United Club members even when AA and DL decided to play fair. So maybe I chose wrong.
Old Oct 19, 22, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I stopped trusting Radisson after ValueMags.

I stopped trusting Choice after Amtrak.

Both were essentially zero-notice devaluations.

Choice recently had a promo to transfer to United, so I cleaned out my account. No orphan points to think about, and reduced exposure to treachery. On the other hand, United did screw its Lifetime United Club members even when AA and DL decided to play fair. So maybe I chose wrong.
I remember that ValueMags-Goldpoints debacle. Some wanted to use that to fly the Concorde on the cheap but then had to wait until the InsideFlyer-SPG-Qantas deal came about.

Choice is notorious still for no-notice devaluations by suddenly changing/introducing higher prices in points for award nights. But I still gain so much from my participation in the Choice program that I still have to eat the risk of treachery for now when it comes to Choice. Radisson hasnt given me anything much to really discount the risk of treachery from them since they got rid of the possibility of my getting two The Mayfair hotel award nights for the price of one award night.
Old Oct 19, 22, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA1k 3.00mm, AA ex-EXP, Hy Glob, Acc Plt, HH Dia, Onyx Plt, Mar LT Tit, IHG DiAm, RR P, RRA G, BW D
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
For careful users of Starwood points, the transfer ratio from Marriott to SPG should have been closer to 6:1 rather than 3:1.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 19, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
For careful users of Starwood points, the transfer ratio from Marriott to SPG should have been closer to 6:1 rather than 3:1.
At today's Bonvoy redemption levels I would agree but back in the day most people thought the 3:1 was a good value. I simply cannot remember an uproar among SPG elites (including myself) about the transfer ratios specifically.
Brendan and kevino like this.
Old Oct 19, 22, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA1k 3.00mm, AA ex-EXP, Hy Glob, Acc Plt, HH Dia, Onyx Plt, Mar LT Tit, IHG DiAm, RR P, RRA G, BW D
Correct, no uproar by most Starwood elites, but I remember calculating how I used my SPG points (before the conversion ratio was announced) and knew my SPG stash of points would be devalued. SPG used to have saver awards on weekends at some properties, if I recall correctly. Marriott still had good travel packages for a couple of years after the merger though.
Old Nov 21, 22, 9:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Given that I stayed 35 nights in Marriott Putrajava for 142000 points. the same stay would have cost more under legacy spg program.

i think 2 Radisson Amer to 1 choice program would be a fair trade since base members earn 20 points per dollars on Radisson and only 10 points per dollar on Choice.

Search this Thread