Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Getaways?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
But IHG has become a pretty lousy deal at $5 per thousand points. I used to get great value out of their points, both through Point Breaks and just through value-priced properties. I have trouble finding any deals right now. I bought a bunch of points three years ago and still have 200,000. When I've stayed with them I've used cash instead of points in hopes that a good deal will pop up.
That's curious to me. I think if you buy points at that price, you would pay significantly less than published rates for your room at least 80% of the time -- sometimes much less.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by iahphx
That's curious to me. I think if you buy points at that price, you would pay significantly less than published rates for your room at least 80% of the time -- sometimes much less.
There is often, perhaps usually, some savings. But they used to have deals that were screamingly good, now it is just a little bit of a discount. With Choice it is frequently possible to get a $300-400 a night hotel room for 25,000 points, which comes out to just over $125 worth of Daily Getaways points. IHG used to have deals almost that good.

Addendum: I just booked a great value on IHG as compared to the cash rate. Not as good as the top Choice value, but a great value. Glad I had the points.

Last edited by Rebelyell; Jul 30, 2022 at 9:25 pm
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
With Choice I redeem for a mimimim value of $100 per 10k points, but that’s my value for what I get in return. But when using just the published rates, I am typically getting $150+ per 10k point redeemed.

I’ve not stocked up like crazy on IHG points in quite some time, but I still find some value in them. Just not like the value I get with Choice points.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
With Choice I redeem for a mimimim value of $100 per 10k points, but that’s my value for what I get in return. But when using just the published rates, I am typically getting $150+ per 10k point redeemed.

I’ve not stocked up like crazy on IHG points in quite some time, but I still find some value in them. Just not like the value I get with Choice points.
It always depends "when and where." In the summer, I would suggest an IHG point is generally worth more than a Choice point, but not always. I always have both. And, recently, I have add Wyndham points to my "portfolio" of programs I use for non-fancy accommidations.
"
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:30 pm

Have anyone received this year's points? Should I wait or email daily getaway?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Too many to count!
Originally Posted by Sophia Shi
Have anyone received this year's points? Should I wait or email daily getaway?
I have not gotten my Choice Points yet. (Edit: I just checked my similar purchase from last year, and it took 8 days for the points to show in my account. So hopefully they’ll appear by tomorrow.) On top of that, I just checked my credit card transactions. I was charged correctly for the 2 sets I bought, but then on Friday there is a refund for a random dollar amount. It doesn't match the total amount for the 2 sets or the even the price for 1 set. I also got one of the accidental letters last week. Suppose it's connected?

Anyone else seeing a refund like mine?

Last edited by CynthiaD; Aug 1, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:44 pm

I got the accidental letters, but my charges are correct with no strange refunds. No points yet, of course. Hope they get yours sorted and deposited appropriately!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by synergistic
I got the accidental letters, but my charges are correct with no strange refunds. No points yet, of course. Hope they get yours sorted and deposited appropriately!
Even when I’ve see them make mistakes previously, they’ve fixed nearly all without a need to follow-up. Even to my disadvantage at times.
synergistic likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
No points yet

All charges correct for the two sets of points I purchased. I hope the deposit doesn't take the full two weeks, I have a trip I'd like to take this weekend.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: HH + IHG DIA
Originally Posted by gohan403
All charges correct for the two sets of points I purchased. I hope the deposit doesn't take the full two weeks, I have a trip I'd like to take this weekend.
Keep in mind that the T&Cs state 14 business days, so almost 3 weeks. I wonder that this time frame was extended compared to the 2021 Daily Getaways.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by SlowTraveler123
Keep in mind that the T&Cs state 14 business days, so almost 3 weeks. I wonder that this time frame was extended compared to the 2021 Daily Getaways.
Good point about the business days. Still, I hope they can expedite the postings, though they have no reason too.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by gohan403
Good point about the business days. Still, I hope they can expedite the postings, though they have no reason too.
please post when you receive your points from daily getaway
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by metoometoo
please post when you receive your points from daily getaway
Got this message today.
"Choice is currently working through the deposits from the initial purchases onwards. Your points will be deposited within the redemption window listed in the offer."
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I haven't gotten my Daily Getaways points yet but just redeemed 30K for a reservation at The Draper, an Ascend Collection hotel, on West 37th Street in Manhattan. Cash price, which seems similar to other Manhattan hotels across multiple chains I've checked over the Labor Day weekend, was $400. The Draper is a new addition to the Choice brand and wasn't listed in search results when I last checked ten days ago.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
My 42k just posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.