Econo Lodge Vs. Rodeway Inn

Old Oct 3, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Econo Lodge Vs. Rodeway Inn

Given that Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn serve as the low-end brands for Choice Hotels, what are the similarities and differences between the two? I know Choice Hotels bought them both in 1990.
Old Oct 3, 20, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker View Post
Given that Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn serve as the low-end brands for Choice Hotels, what are the similarities and differences between the two? I know Choice Hotels bought them both in 1990.
It's tough to answer your question, because the biggest issue with Choice is a complete lack of consistency between brands. Some Econo Lodges are cleaner and have better amenities, and a higher level of service than Quality Inns. Some Quality Inns are better than some Comfort Inns, etc. It really all comes down to the individual owner / franchisee and how much work they put into their properties. Corporate doesn't seem to do a very good job of holding the bad operators accountable.

That being said, Rodeways are actually the *most* consistent chain; consistently bad. I'm not a snob - I'm actually a big fan of Choice in general. But that's one chain I just can't stay in. They are pretty comparable to Motel 6 (many are actually just re-flagged Motel 6s): very basic accomodations, rough neighborhoods, questionable maintenance, shady people hanging out in the parking lots...

Econo Lodge is a different story. There are some real hidden gems in this chain. A lot of dumps too, so always consult online reviews. They are definitely value oriented, but as long as they're clean, they've got everything you need for a comfortable stay. Every now and then you'll find some with things like in-room whirlpools and extra large suites.

My advice to anyone who isn't familiar with Choice is: READ THE REVIEWS. There are a lot of properties that make for fantastic bang-for-your-buck stays, but many that are run-down, poorly maintained, and unsafe. Online reviews are usually pretty accurate, and can help you pick the good ones, and avoid the bad.
strickerj and marquiss22 like this.
Old Oct 3, 20, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by midgrade View Post
It's tough to answer your question, because the biggest issue with Choice is a complete lack of consistency between brands. Some Econo Lodges are cleaner and have better amenities, and a higher level of service than Quality Inns. Some Quality Inns are better than some Comfort Inns, etc. It really all comes down to the individual owner / franchisee and how much work they put into their properties. Corporate doesn't seem to do a very good job of holding the bad operators accountable.

That being said, Rodeways are actually the *most* consistent chain; consistently bad. I'm not a snob - I'm actually a big fan of Choice in general. But that's one chain I just can't stay in. They are pretty comparable to Motel 6 (many are actually just re-flagged Motel 6s): very basic accomodations, rough neighborhoods, questionable maintenance, shady people hanging out in the parking lots...

Econo Lodge is a different story. There are some real hidden gems in this chain. A lot of dumps too, so always consult online reviews. They are definitely value oriented, but as long as they're clean, they've got everything you need for a comfortable stay. Every now and then you'll find some with things like in-room whirlpools and extra large suites.

My advice to anyone who isn't familiar with Choice is: READ THE REVIEWS. There are a lot of properties that make for fantastic bang-for-your-buck stays, but many that are run-down, poorly maintained, and unsafe. Online reviews are usually pretty accurate, and can help you pick the good ones, and avoid the bad.
Good point. Funny enough, I used to write for the school newsletter when I was in high school and living up North (I did hotel reviews when I was 17 and a junior). I was reviewing Choice Hotels, and the ones I remembered from the past when I was a little guy. For the 2019 Alumni edition (I was 22), I brought hotel reviews back by talking about four things I learned about Choice Hotels. I did say something about reading the reviews, so both of us have a point.
Old Oct 4, 20, 12:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Econo Lodge was founded in my hometown, a rare non-military, non-maritime venture from my city that became bigger. This article discusses the founding, development, and briefly, the distinction between Econo Lodges and Rodeways: https://hotels.fandom.com/wiki/Econo_Lodge.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 5, 20, 11:08 am

While they have a lot in common, I've found a few major differences:
  • Econo Lodges seem to be moving to a semi-standard bedding setup (there's a couple of variants, though.) Rodeways seem to have whatever the hotel owner decided to buy, without any requirement from Choice on what that looks like. On a similar vein, almost every Econo Lodge room seems to have that wall art of the 50 state plates on the wall in each room.
  • Econo Lodges have at least some breakfast available, at least pre-pandemic. Rodeways may only have coffee available, but not even a muffin or snack bar for breakfast.
  • Rodeway seems to be purely a conversion brand, and aimed at property owners who don't want to have to worry about particular brand standards but want to be part of a chain. Econo Lodges are mainly conversion as well, but some work eventually has to go into the property to "convert" it to Econo Lodge, from what I've seen.
Old Oct 5, 20, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jebr View Post
  • Econo Lodges have at least some breakfast available, at least pre-pandemic. Rodeways may only have coffee available, but not even a muffin or snack bar for breakfast.
But some Rodeways have a better breakfast than some EconoLodges. So with both you have to check the reviews to try to figure out if the breakfast will be acceptable to you.

Originally Posted by jebr View Post
While they have a lot in common, I've found a few major differences:
  • Rodeways seem to have whatever the hotel owner decided to buy, without any requirement from Choice on what that look like. [...]
  • Rodeway seems to be purely a conversion brand, and aimed at property owners who don't want to have to worry about particular brand standards but want to be part of a chain.
How is that different then from the lower-end (two-story motels) of the Ascend Collection brand? I know of a former two-story-exterior-corridor-no-elevator Comfort Inn that wasn't particularly up to Comfort Inn standards, that was refurbished into an indie hotel that then later became part of Choice's Ascend Collection, I think just because of artwork showing surfers in every room (this motel is a few miles from California beaches).
thunderdeacon likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 5, 20 at 11:41 pm
Old Oct 7, 20, 10:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
I occasionally stay in the Williamsburg area--it's an hour from home, and if I'm having dinner and drinks there, as I will with some friends from DC this Sunday, I'd rather pay for a cheap hotel stay than drive back home. Strangely enough, two of the highest rated Choice properties (albeit on the Choice website) in Williamsburg are Rodeway Inns. I understand that there's no consistency across these reviews so that a highly-rated Rodeway might still be worse than a Choice Suites given a mediocre rating, but having driven by these properties regularly, I can say that the exteriors and landscaping are kept at a much higher standard than the usual Rodeway. Might be time for me to spend the night at one of those two properties since under the current circumstances, breakfast is catch as catch can almost at any hotel that would otherwise offer it.

At the other end of the spectrum, but still within my reach, the Virginia Beach Oceanfront Rodeway fully deserves scathing reviews: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19953912-post147.html. And on a slightly related note, the two Choice properties that I recommended in this post from seven years ago are still there and still charging $63 and $49 respectively in the offseason.
Old Oct 11, 20, 9:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Both brands can be great values or really sketchy. Econo lodge might have nominally greater brand standards, but both brands have to evaluated on a location by location basis. By carefully choosing Econo and Rodway locations that are acceptable for many of my paid stays, I have milked tremendous value out of Choice's periodic promotions.
synergistic and trooper like this.

Last edited by thunderdeacon; Oct 17, 20 at 12:52 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 13, 20, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon View Post
Both brands can be great values or really sketchy. Econo lodge might have nominally greater brand standards, but both brands have to evaluated on a location by location basis. By carefully choosing Econo and Rodway locations that are acceptable for many of my paid stays, I have milked tremendous value out of Choice Privlige's periodic promotions.
Absolutely. The addition of Rodeway and Economy several years ago as eligible properties for the various "stay two, get 8K" promos brought them more into my orbit--so long as the properties meet certain minimal standards.
Old Oct 13, 20, 1:13 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Hello, there! Feedback like this helps us pinpoint what is working and what is not. My team appreciates your valuable feedback because we will be sharing this information with the appropriate parties internally to further review and address with hotel management and ownership for the necessary corrective actions to be taken. Take care!

Liz
Choice Hotels International
Old Oct 17, 20, 6:39 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, AA,
Choice Hotel added ripoff fees appear after checkout

It depends. I have stayed in 3 different Rodeway inns in last 2 months, 9 nights total (Utah, CA, AZ). Prices were good and locations were very good.
Two of the hotels added extra fees to my credit card that were never disclosed anywhere. One hotel added $5.00 per night property fee, another added $7.00 per night utilities fee.
I contacted the hotels to complain about the fraudulent fees added after checkout -- they DO NOT CARE.
I contacted Choice since I have been a member for 15 years -- they DO NOT CARE AT ALL.
Choice told me that it is not their problem when I book at one price -- on their website, using Choice CC -- and am charged another fee by the operator on my CC. Really.
I THINK I WILL AVOID CHOICE UNTIL THEY BECOME MORE HONEST -- SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME!!
Old Oct 17, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, AA,
Choice allows bad hotel operators to ripoff clients

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels View Post
Hello, there! Feedback like this helps us pinpoint what is working and what is not. My team appreciates your valuable feedback because we will be sharing this information with the appropriate parties internally to further review and address with hotel management and ownership for the necessary corrective actions to be taken. Take care!

Liz
Choice Hotels International
Liz: It sounds nice to say "Choice Cares" but my experience is that Choice allows bad operators to ripoff clients. I have been in contact with 2 Choice reps in last week. BOTH REPS SAID IT IS NOT A CHOICE PROBLEM IF GUESTS ARE OVERCHARGED; IT IS AN OPERATOR ISSUE.

THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM THAT WILL KILL YOUR BRAND.

I booked on the Choice website, using Choice CC, am 15-year member, and then when I was ripped off twice ... Choice said its "not our problem".

Last edited by ord100; Oct 17, 20 at 6:55 pm
Old Oct 19, 20, 1:36 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Hi again! I completely understand your disappointment with this experience. We would like to have a second opportunity to investigate more about this situation. Can you please send us a private message with your full name, date of arrival, confirmation numbers so that we can assist you? Best regards, Liz.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: