Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel: Are They A Conversion Brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Anyone familiar with Suburban Extended Stay by Choice Hotels? Are they a conversion brand to take over a few extended stay hotels that no longer meet requirements? I understand they are low-end and they are on the level of an Extended Stay America...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Choice, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton, Wyndham, Delta, American, United, Jet Blue, SWA
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
Anyone familiar with Suburban Extended Stay by Choice Hotels? Are they a conversion brand to take over a few extended stay hotels that no longer meet requirements? I understand they are low-end and they are on the level of an Extended Stay America...
I believe that this chain was acquired by Choice back in the late '00s - an existing chain. It was not a collection of unrelated/or other mutt extended stay hotels that Choice cobbled together.

I've only stayed at one, one night. Richmond, VA, 2013.

Definitely you will not mistake it for the Ritz (you knew that!) It had a limited desk, closed early (10pm) open late (8am). Overnight problems - they have a # for you to call. If you arrive late, after close, it's like some properties in Europe, they will leave a key for you. You'll have to settle the financials in advance in those cases. It appeared to me to be a lesser economic class clientele (<$.) There were non-smoking rooms but the place reeked of stale smoke-infused hallways. This was only for this property - so I can't speak for the chain. Some of their hotels seem to get not-so-bad reviews - in the right circumstances ($, lack of better options) I would give them a go in the future. For Choice Privileges I believe the points awarded are less than at the more mainstream Choice brands - and may not qualify for the Stay Twice Promotions - read the fine print.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:35 pm

In my limited experience with them in West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania, they seem to be popular with construction/maintenance crews that have work in the area. They are usually pretty cheap, though the rooms are fine. Smallish bathroom, though sink toilet and shower are in same room. Beds are fine, furnishings are "upscale Motel 6", as it were. Perfectly functional and clean, though never 24 hour front desk service.

The main reason I've stayed is that there were some 6000 point redemptions (remember those?). After doing the math from buying Choice points in the Daily Getaways promotion, I figured it was less than $30 a night, with no tax, for the room. The rooms are certainly worth that, just have to know there's no breakfast or extra amenities that come with them.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCABarry
I believe that this chain was acquired by Choice back in the late '00s - an existing chain. It was not a collection of unrelated/or other mutt extended stay hotels that Choice cobbled together.

I've only stayed at one, one night. Richmond, VA, 2013.

Definitely you will not mistake it for the Ritz (you knew that!) It had a limited desk, closed early (10pm) open late (8am). Overnight problems - they have a # for you to call. If you arrive late, after close, it's like some properties in Europe, they will leave a key for you. You'll have to settle the financials in advance in those cases. It appeared to me to be a lesser economic class clientele (<$.) There were non-smoking rooms but the place reeked of stale smoke-infused hallways. This was only for this property - so I can't speak for the chain. Some of their hotels seem to get not-so-bad reviews - in the right circumstances ($, lack of better options) I would give them a go in the future. For Choice Privileges I believe the points awarded are less than at the more mainstream Choice brands - and may not qualify for the Stay Twice Promotions - read the fine print.
You're right about that.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frugal_flyer
In my limited experience with them in West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania, they seem to be popular with construction/maintenance crews that have work in the area. They are usually pretty cheap, though the rooms are fine. Smallish bathroom, though sink toilet and shower are in same room. Beds are fine, furnishings are "upscale Motel 6", as it were. Perfectly functional and clean, though never 24 hour front desk service.

The main reason I've stayed is that there were some 6000 point redemptions (remember those?). After doing the math from buying Choice points in the Daily Getaways promotion, I figured it was less than $30 a night, with no tax, for the room. The rooms are certainly worth that, just have to know there's no breakfast or extra amenities that come with them.
I don't blame you for saying all of this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

It should also be noted that Suburban Extended Stay and Extended Stay America are rivals to each other. They also serve as a cheap low-end apartment. Remember kids, there is a reason why they are that cheap: it's barebones and not many people want to stay there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.