FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   Not getting choice "extras" reliably? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1992195-not-getting-choice-extras-reliably.html)

Jeff050 Oct 21, 2019 8:03 am

Not getting choice "extras" reliably?

Is anyone else having issues getting their choice "extras" (i.e., an Amazon credit, Uber credit or Starbucks GC etc) issued to them reliably? I'm set up to receive the Starbucks gift card on every qualified weekday stay and for the past 6-8 weeks about every other stay they fail to send it to me. Typically I receive them within a minute of checking in via email so I know it's processed successfully. If you don't get it you have to submit a report via their website which is an annoying pain and you will eventually get it a couple weeks later after first receiving 2-3 "we are working diligently to exceed your expecations" boilerplate emails. Just send me the stupid thing in the first place will you please? Anyway, any else having these problems getting their Choice "extras" issued to them reliably?

thunderdeacon Oct 21, 2019 4:20 pm

That is unfortunate. The Starbucks card is the one perk that I seem to always get. I have to fight for the property amenity/points, however.

FlyerTalker70 Oct 21, 2019 7:36 pm

You're not alone! I've encountered a similar thing as well, granted I'm not a Choice Hotel connoisseur as some on this forum.

Looking at my choice account I've stayed 5 times at a Choice property in the past year or so, all of them involving one stay between the days of Sunday thru Thursday. However, of all those stays, only 3 of them netted me my beloved Starbucks gift card! Two of the stays did not! Location did not play a factor as some of the extras I received for staying at US hotels and some for Canadian hotels.

Per the FAQ of the program at Choice Hotels:

Are all hotels part of the Your Extras program?
  1. You can select the Bonus Points and Airline miles options at all hotels.
  2. However, there are certain hotels where you will not be able to earn the following ‘Extras’:
  • Amazon.com credit
  • Coffee gift card
  • Fuel Rewards Savings
  • Uber trip discount
If you are staying at a hotel that doesn’t offer the above Extras, please contact our Guest Services agents here or call 888-770-6800.
Looks like I'll need to call in to see if I can get something for my inconvenience! Thanks for your heads up!

Cheers,

James

thunderdeacon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Interesting. I have stayed at some bottom-of-the-brand Econos and Rodeways for $35 a night and still got my starbucks email. I wonder if it is possible to know ahead of time if a property participates or not.

sanmandude Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

That's happened to me about 5-10% of the time. Couple of times at the same property. I don't know if it's a software bug or human error [person seemed like a trainee, did not seem to know what she was doing, had me swipe my credit card 3 times.] on part of the person checking you in.

Jeff050 Oct 23, 2019 7:59 pm

So I have currently two stays this week, tonite 10/23 & Monday 10/21 where I have failed to get my Starbucks $5 gift card extra. I don't know what's going on, it's like they've just stopped sending them out now. I tried to report the 10/21 stay but you have to wait 3 days before you can submit a report that you didn't get it. What a pain. I'll send it later though.

thunderdeacon Oct 23, 2019 10:06 pm

I checked into the Quality Inn Wichita Falls, TX today and got my Starbucks card. I hope you get a resolution!

FlyerTalker70 Oct 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff050 (Post 31660622)
So I have currently two stays this week, tonite 10/23 & Monday 10/21 where I have failed to get my Starbucks $5 gift card extra. I don't know what's going on, it's like they've just stopped sending them out now. I tried to report the 10/21 stay but you have to wait 3 days before you can submit a report that you didn't get it. What a pain. I'll send it later though.

The 10/21 stay you should have received by now. As for the tonight's stay, I would hang on till tomorrow. I have received those cards after check out on one or two occasions. That being said, I haven't called up Choice yet to get the points credit on the couple of properties I stayed at where I didn't get any Starbucks card several months ago. Will keep this thread posted when that happens

Safe Travels,

James

Jeff050 Oct 31, 2019 6:23 pm

As an update out of the 5 qualified (i.e., non-weekend and non-consecutive) stays I have had since Monday 10/21 I have only received my Starbucks extra in 2 of the 5 stays. I thought perhaps it was related to one of the hotels I stayed at but I received one of my two extras from them that so that doesn't seem to be it. The first stay were they failed to send me a card I've submitted a report for it and they've already acknowledged it didn't get sent and they will process one for me. Typically it arrives about 2 weeks after submitting the missing extra report to Choice. I have 2 more non-receipt reports to submit to them after waiting their requisite 3 days to submit the report. It's really an annoying pain, to submit the report you have to look up all of your stay info. So they are only batting 40% in the past about 10 days of actually sending me my "extra". I have to imagine if I'm encountering this bad of a problem getting my extras it's gotta to be occuring to other travelers as well. I would encourage everyone to make sure they are actually receiving their extras as they should be. I'm not sure what else I can do other than keep submitting non-receipt reports.

Global Adventurer Nov 1, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon (Post 31660881)
I checked into the Quality Inn Wichita Falls, TX today and got my Starbucks card. I hope you get a resolution!

I have a week stay at a Quality Inn coming up. Hope I get the Starbucks credit.

Global Adventurer Nov 14, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31689823)
I have a week stay at a Quality Inn coming up. Hope I get the Starbucks credit.

I'm just quoting myself to provide an update. I checked in last night and by the time I got to my room and checked my emails, my Starbucks reward was already in my inbox. Easy as pie!

Jeff050 Nov 14, 2019 5:12 pm

That is they way its supposed to work and when it works its great. When it works I usually hear the gift card email hit my phone before I've even made it to my room. So far on the three missing credits from a few weeks ago I had to report all three separately. They've made good on one so far and have emailed they are working on the other two and I'm sure I'll get them eventually. Now that the stay 2 nites promo is over I'll be using points for a while so my stays won't qualify for them but I hope its working OK when I go back to paying for rooms again.

Global Adventurer Nov 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Good luck!

Global Adventurer Nov 24, 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Jeff050 (Post 31738052)
That is they way its supposed to work and when it works its great. When it works I usually hear the gift card email hit my phone before I've even made it to my room. So far on the three missing credits from a few weeks ago I had to report all three separately. They've made good on one so far and have emailed they are working on the other two and I'm sure I'll get them eventually. Now that the stay 2 nites promo is over I'll be using points for a while so my stays won't qualify for them but I hope its working OK when I go back to paying for rooms again.

I checked out Wednesday, and my stay disappeared and there are no points showing for my 7 day stay. Also, my member status went from platinum to member. I have no clue what's going on. I'll be calling them Monday!

Global Adventurer Nov 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31770871)
I checked out Wednesday, and my stay disappeared and there are no points showing for my 7 day stay. Also, my member status went from platinum to member. I have no clue what's going on. I'll be calling them Monday!

Problem resolved. Looks like my stay was posted to a duplicate account with my same name. It has since been corrected.