Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Nordic Choice Transfer Partners and Finding Award Space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

I've got Nordic Choice Platinum Status (having learned about it here some years back) but I have not yet started to accrue points. I would like to stay one night at the CPH airport Clarion in December. The rate is DK 2100 but if I understand correctly, if a standard room is available, I should be able to book it for 20,000 points as per:

https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/n...nts-per-hotel/

When I log into my account, however, I do not see how to search for an award booking. Can anyone guide me? Is it possible I don't see it because I don't have any points on my account?

If award space should be available, are there any transfer partners that transfer to Nordic Choice (e.g. AmEx, SAS, etc.) that might allow me to pay for the award at better value than the current price, which is over $300 for a night.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Are you sure the Nordic Choice Club Platinum status didn’t expire already? Last night they batch processed the downgrade of the last big status match wave they had, and there is no soft-landing in elite status level changes.

The US Choice program sells points at a rate of $15 for 2000 points, and that means getting this hotel for $150 when standard rooms are available for point redemption.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know about the possible downgrade. I just logged into my account and it is still showing me as Platinum, but I'll keep an eye on it.

So I would sign up for US Choice, buy points, and then book the hotel on a reward stay? Is there any way to check with certainty before buying points that the hotel is available? I was reading several of the threads claiming that there was almost no reward availability for US Choice members at Scandinavian properties.

But it's a great option since the current rate for the night I need (based on an existing airline reservation) is over $300.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Thanks for letting me know about the possible downgrade. I just logged into my account and it is still showing me as Platinum, but I'll keep an eye on it.

So I would sign up for US Choice, buy points, and then book the hotel on a reward stay? Is there any way to check with certainty before buying points that the hotel is available? I was reading several of the threads claiming that there was almost no reward availability for US Choice members at Scandinavian properties.

But it's a great option since the current rate for the night I need (based on an existing airline reservation) is over $300.
Within the past four days, I have redeemed Choice US points for three Nordic Choice hotel stays that I have completed or am currently completing. Including the Clarion CPH airport hotel. That’s US Choice points.

If you have Nordic Choice Club points that you want to redeem, use the Nordic Choice Hotels app on the smartphones. Login on the app using your NCC membership info. Then proceed to book a room. After selecting a hotel for a regular paid booking for the specific date, you can click on an option to pay with NCC points.

I currently don’t have a lot of NCC points as I burn those down fast and don’t accumulate them as easily as Choice US points. And I have near bottomless supplies of US Choice points.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I signed up for the Choice US program where I could transfer AmEx points at 1:1. But when I search for the Clarion CPH airport hotel for my date within the US Choice site, it says Sold Out for that night. However, if I search for a regular paid night either on the US Choice site or the Nordic Choice site, I can book a standard room for cash. I don't currently have any NCC points to allow me to try to book for a reward night under NCC.

I'll keep checking back from time-to-time and see if a reward night ever turns up.

Thanks for your help, GUWonder.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I signed up for the Choice US program where I could transfer AmEx points at 1:1. But when I search for the Clarion CPH airport hotel for my date within the US Choice site, it says Sold Out for that night. However, if I search for a regular paid night either on the US Choice site or the Nordic Choice site, I can book a standard room for cash. I don't currently have any NCC points to allow me to try to book for a reward night under NCC.

I'll keep checking back from time-to-time and see if a reward night ever turns up.

Thanks for your help, GUWonder.
You haven't mentioned which month you're looking to stay. Choice US can only book award stays 120 days in advance, even though paid rates are generally bookable much further advance. But it doesn't always clearly explain that that's the issue when you try to search for any award beyond 120 days.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:47 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at first week of December and was within 100 days which it said I could book for rewards. It shows availability for an award stay at the Quality in Malmö, but all remaining Choice hotels in the area, including the CPH airport Clarion, are sold out for points. Still available to book for a cash stay. I made a tentative reservation for cash that is cancellable but I think DK 2100 is a bit steep. We'll be staying in north Sjælland for a few nights prior to this but I thought it would be more relaxing to use the airport hotel the night before we fly out. If the reward night doesn't turn up, I'll probably cancel the cash stay and extend our prior stay and drive in.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You haven't mentioned which month you're looking to stay. Choice US can only book award stays 120 days in advance, even though paid rates are generally bookable much further advance. But it doesn't always clearly explain that that's the issue when you try to search for any award beyond 120 days.
The availability (using Choice US points) within 45 days of stay at Nordic Choice hotels is substantially better as of late than availability in the 75-100 days advance of stay window. It wasn’t always this way with trying to use Choice US points for Nordic Choice hotels.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Good to know. I'll check closer in.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Are you sure the Nordic Choice Club Platinum status didn’t expire already? Last night they batch processed the downgrade of the last big status match wave they had, and there is no soft-landing in elite status level changes.
Oops. Sure enough, you were right. I was just downgraded to Blue. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Oops. Sure enough, you were right. I was just downgraded to Blue. Thanks for the heads-up.
If you have your Nordic Choice Club Platinum card, they may still give you the at-hotel benefits upon card presentation even when the status shown on the card has expired. It’s not guaranteed that they will, but I have received multiple positive reports of such so far.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:54 am
Suspended

If you have your Nordic Choice Club Platinum card, they may still give you the at-hotel benefits upon card presentation even when the status shown on the card has expired. It’s not guaranteed that they will, but I have received multiple positive reports of such so far.
I have also received multiple reports of it not working. The upside of it not working is that you’re way more likely to get some NCC points that you may not have anticipated getting. The downside of it not working is that you may get NCC points but it will be at the expense of the elite status benefits. Either way, some people may still manually put in special instructions noting an elite status level that may have already expired.

One of the things about NCC status earning is that the elite status qualification period is not necessarily on a calendar year basis and may be based on when in the year the NCC account was opened and/or upgraded. I don’t currently know the details about that as it hasn’t usually mattered all that much to me.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

The availability (using Choice US points) within 45 days of stay at Nordic Choice hotels is substantially better as of late than availability in the 75-100 days advance of stay window. It wasn’t always this way with trying to use Choice US points for Nordic Choice hotels.
I received a promotion email last week that prompted me to check my date again for a points redemption at the CPH airport Clarion. Luckily, I was able to snag the night for 20,000 points (which I transferred 1:1 from AmEx Membership Rewards) and cancel the reservation that was DK 2100 (ca. $300). Not only that, but I was able to select a suite for that point value whereas my original reservation was for a standard room. Not sure if there is really much difference between rooms.

I could also have paid 6,000 points + $105 and I'm not sure which is the better offer, but with points to burn I offered the full 20,000.

Thank you for the tip to check back closer in!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:25 am
Suspended

I received a promotion email last week that prompted me to check my date again for a points redemption at the CPH airport Clarion. Luckily, I was able to snag the night for 20,000 points (which I transferred 1:1 from AmEx Membership Rewards) and cancel the reservation that was DK 2100 (ca. $300). Not only that, but I was able to select a suite for that point value whereas my original reservation was for a standard room. Not sure if there is really much difference between rooms.

I could also have paid 6,000 points + $105 and I'm not sure which is the better offer, but with points to burn I offered the full 20,000.

Thank you for the tip to check back closer in!
The points+cash option you were presented is a way of buying Choice US points at a rate of 2000 points for $15 if you have at least 6k Choice US points. As you already had 20k Choice points and can readily get 6k points whenever you wish after running down your current balance, you did fine. Personally, I would do the same as you, even as I tend to always keep at least 6k Choice US points on hand to more readily buy Choice points at the rate of 2000 points/$15.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
transfer US amex points to choice at 1:1 is a terrible deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.