Bad summer award pricing at Choice

Old May 24, 19, 6:29 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,817
Bad summer award pricing at Choice

Seems like they really bumped up the redemption prices in the USA and Canada for this summer. I'm seeing lots of mediocre and not-very-expensive Choice hotels at 25,000 and 30,000 points, while room rates are only maybe 10% higher from Spring. There are properties I've stayed in last summer than are 2x this summer. A real shame as I'm sure many of their customers want to use their Choice points for summer vacation. It's generally a bad deal -- I'll wait until Fall.
iahphx is online now  
Old May 24, 19, 8:42 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,817
This blog post highlights the crazy jump in cost for July redemptions in Canada.

https://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea...ileges-points/
iahphx is online now  
Old May 24, 19, 9:58 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Seems like they really bumped up the redemption prices in the USA and Canada for this summer. I'm seeing lots of mediocre and not-very-expensive Choice hotels at 25,000 and 30,000 points, while room rates are only maybe 10% higher from Spring. There are properties I've stayed in last summer than are 2x this summer. A real shame as I'm sure many of their customers want to use their Choice points for summer vacation. It's generally a bad deal -- I'll wait until Fall.
I am not an expert on Choice revenue management nor do I have connections there, but when they jumped the top end to 30K, I felt this was an inevitable result. While those properties started in the biggest cities, Manhattan as the most prominent example, you could see how other Choice properties would clamor for similar point redemption values, especially during the busy travel season in the US.

I still collect points in this program, but I no longer think it delivers outsized value as it did 8-10 years ago. I now figure I have to do at least three complete "stay two, get 8K points" promos to get any great Choice property. It used to be possible to accomplish the same thing with one or two sets of those promos.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 4:03 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,285
30k points per night for PEI? Wow. When I did my Anne of Green Gables trip and stayed at Choice hotels on the island, I think I paid closer to half of that or less per night.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 7:33 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,940
Pray for a recession. Properties will be empty and the rooms will go begging for lower redemptions (and cash).

This year, the economy (generally) and travel are on screech. This is simple supply & demand.

Last edited by Often1; May 25, 19 at 11:33 am
Often1 is offline  
Old May 26, 19, 8:16 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,817
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
30k points per night for PEI? Wow. When I did my Anne of Green Gables trip and stayed at Choice hotels on the island, I think I paid closer to half of that or less per night.
About 6 years ago, I paid 6000 points to stay at a not-great Choice hotel in Charlottetown, PEI in summertime. Honestly, I was a bit unhappy with the deal. I would rather have stayed elsewhere, but 6000 points felt almost free so we stayed a couple nights.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Pray for a recession. Properties will be empty and the rooms will go begging for lower redemptions (and cash).

This year, the economy (generally) and travel are on screech. This is simple supply & demand.
Well, if the published room rates were high, that makes sense. But I'm seeing $125 motels costing 30,000 points this summer. That sucks.
iahphx is online now  
Old May 27, 19, 1:51 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,285
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
About 6 years ago, I paid 6000 points to stay at a not-great Choice hotel in Charlottetown, PEI in summertime. Honestly, I was a bit unhappy with the deal. I would rather have stayed elsewhere, but 6000 points felt almost free so we stayed a couple nights.



Well, if the published room rates were high, that makes sense. But I'm seeing $125 motels costing 30,000 points this summer. That sucks.
I knew the course ahead would be choppy when a couple of years ago I saw hotels with a nightly price of $60-120 going for 30k points and having an even more interesting cash and points rate of 6k points + a cash component higher than the regular paid room rates.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 27, 19, 7:06 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,817
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post


I knew the course ahead would be choppy when a couple of years ago I saw hotels with a nightly price of $60-120 going for 30k points and having an even more interesting cash and points rate of 6k points + a cash component higher than the regular paid room rates.
All the hotel chains mismatch their reward levels to the actual paid room rates. Which is why it always seems nuts to me to be loyal to one hotel chain -- you need points in ALL the hotel chains because you never know which chain will have "the best" hotel in a given city (factoring in price, location, and hotel quality).

There are still "mismatched" award redemptions with Choice. The problem is that, this summer, they're skewing to overpriced, and the hotels where point redemption is a good deal are much fewer in number.
iahphx is online now  
Old May 27, 19, 12:16 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,720
Canmore last August long weekend was 30000 points as well. Still cheaper than the CAD300+ room rates

But all the hotels were going for that in the area (Banff even more insane), even the low end motels.
rankourabu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread