Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Nordic Choice Hotels not currently redeemable using Choice Privileges points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nordic Choice Hotels not currently redeemable using Choice Privileges points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KathinJax

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking at Skt Petri in Copenhagen for next year. One of the things that I do is look for current awards to see if I would have problems booking when the window opens. I could not find an award night available for this year. This hotel is also part of the Preferred hotels platform and when I looked at award availability on the Choice hotel link, it showed no dates available for the rest of the year. Now, preferred award nights seem to be available for limited nights in August and September and most of the rest of the year - so something changed in the last couple of weeks with this hotel.
I have seen Skt Petri be available a tiny bit for Choice points during searches I made in June and in at least the first half of July for same week stays. I haven’t looked in the last three weeks for this property, so maybe there has been a change.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Any Nordic Choice examples?

I have seen a growing number of Nordic Choice hotels cut back on the number and type of rooms available using Choice (US) points. But except for new NCH properties, I haven’t encountered a blocking problem in recent weeks; and so I am wondering what I may have missed. Thanks.

The hotel in LYR is blocked all summer... Awards were available until Jun.30, and pop up again daily from Sep.1. July/August is blocked.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The hotel in LYR is blocked all summer... Awards were available until Jun.30, and pop up again daily from Sep.1. July/August is blocked.
Hasn’t the Funken Lodge sold out most all of July and August even for regular paid rates? I would assume some tour operator/reseller had taken all the rooms of the types that they ordinarily make available using points.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The following hotels seem to have some technology limitations in various ways even with Nordic Choice Hotels directly:
  • Clarion Collection Hotel Planetstaden
  • Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars
  • Clarion Collection Hotel Bristol
  • Comfort Hotel LT
  • Comfort Hotel Ole Tobias
  • Copperhill Mountain Lodge
  • Quality Hotel Lapland
  • Quality Hotel Vänersborg
  • Vox Hotel
  • Yasuragi Hasseludden
  • Funken Lodge
I wonder how much the Nordic hotels where people are reporting blocks overlay with that list.
nsx likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathinJax

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking at Skt Petri in Copenhagen for next year. One of the things that I do is look for current awards to see if I would have problems booking when the window opens. I could not find an award night available for this year. This hotel is also part of the Preferred hotels platform and when I looked at award availability on the Choice hotel link, it showed no dates available for the rest of the year. Now, preferred award nights seem to be available for limited nights in August and September and most of the rest of the year - so something changed in the last couple of weeks with this hotel.
I just made a booking today using points for a stay tonight at the Skt Petri. 20k Choice US points instead of paying 3030 DKK (c. $455).
KathinJax likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It’s important to make a distinction between Choice Hotels and Nordic Choice Hotels, an independent hotel group that is affiliated with Choice Hotels. Here’s why that matters:
You can redeem Choice Privileges points at Nordic Choice Hotels
You cannot earn Choice Privileges points at Nordic Choice Hotels
The 28 Best Ways to Redeem Choice Privileges Hotel Rewards Points, September 2, 2021
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ho...ewards-points/

Register now and book a 2-night stay between September 12 and October 31, 2021, and you can earn 2,000 Choice Privileges® bonus points. Booking 3 nights or more? Enjoy 5,000 bonus points for your stay!
Earn Up to 5,000 Bonus Points With Choice Hotels®*, hopefully in January too
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...us-points-deal

I just made a booking today using points for a stay tonight at the Skt Petri. 20k Choice US points instead of paying 3030 DKK (c. $455).
Using Privileges points? I'm getting really excited now. We're planning a driving trip to Palm Springs for the film festival and would love a free night at Skt Petri.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Using Privileges points? I'm getting really excited now. We're planning a driving trip to Palm Springs for the film festival and would love a free night at Skt Petri.
Yes. I redeem US Choice (Privileges) points for stays at Nordic Choice hotels even more than I redeem Nordic Choice Club points for stays at Nordic Choice hotels. That booking was using US Choice (Privileges) points.

Tonight it's like 8k-10k US Choice points for some Nordic Choice hotel rooms going for $182+ each.
sdsearch and vanillabean like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 12, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: Le Club Accor
Something wrong with log in happened only to me ? or is general ? Thank you.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gioannis13
Something wrong with log in happened only to me ? or is general ? Thank you.
I have no problem logging into the US Choice accounts.

Nordic Choice hotels however has their website and app basically down due a IT security crisis for them and logging in there is not possible due to the virus hit they are suffering. They can’t even take regular payments at the Nordic Choice hotels. So they ask for payment via the likes of Swish in Sweden or use Verifone out of Norway via a convoluted method whereby they SMS or email a payment link to the customers and then the customers have to use the internet browser to load in the Visa or MC info. And then after the customer pays, the hotel has to wait for the confirmation of payment to come in via hotel email or something.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It seems like Nordic Choice Hotels has now gotten ahead of the ransomware IT virus issue enough that their sites and apps are basically operating back like normal again. This recovery shouldn't make a difference to US Choice point users, except in that it's now again possible for the Nordic Choice hotels to more easily accept a bank card for incidentals/hold on check-in (when they are doing that) than it had been during the IT virus issue.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Le Club Accor
All good with members and booking page.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

75k US Choice points per night at the Clarion Hotel Sense in Lulea, Sweden. That new record high price point makes no sense as a redemption, particularly when given that the hotel is often only around $110/night for regular paid bookings.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Are Points + Cash bookings not available at Nordic Choice hotels? I've been looking at hotels all over Norway and don't see a single option.

My backup plan was to book an American Choice hotel using Points + Cash and then get a full Points refund. Does that also no longer work? I tried that and did not receive the cash part back as points.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Points+Cash for Nordic Choice properties disappeared for me several weeks ago.

At around the same time -- even after that option disappeared for Nordic Choice properties -- cancelling Points+Cash bookings for US hotels before the cancellation deadline was still a way to buy 10k points for $90 that could then be used for a redemption after cancelling the booking.

If doing this, I would make sure to closely check the cancellation terms and and test it with nothing more than a cheap one-night booking.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 2, 2022 at 4:09 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Points+Cash for Nordic Choice properties disappeared for me several weeks ago.
Yikes, good to know it's not just me

At around the same time -- even after that option disappeared for Nordic Choice properties -- cancelling Points+Cash bookings for US hotels before the cancellation deadline was still a way to buy 10k points for $90 that could then be used for a redemption after cancelling the booking.

If doing this, I would make sure to closely check the cancellation terms and and test it with nothing more than a cheap one-night booking.
If making a Points+Cash booking, how long do you have to wait to cancel to received everything back in points? Yesterday I canceled right after making a Points+Cash booking and got an email that I would get the Cash part refunded back to my card. Should I have waited longer before canceling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.