FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   Is this a weird hotel policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1939272-weird-hotel-policy.html)

lebowski2222 Nov 6, 2018 12:45 pm

Is this a weird hotel policy?

You can delete if its not appropriate but I was shocked at this Comfort Suites Hotel Policy - I won't give the location - I get the cash policy but not letting local residents book at the hotel is kind of weird - Maybe they had a lot of trouble in the past with people destroying rooms since they won't allow pool or room parties - The place does seem to have really good reviews but its in an area not far from a bad area so maybe they are trying to protect themselves from any kind of trouble
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...69&oe=5C3E53CE

Cyberian Nov 6, 2018 2:34 pm

I've been to Milwaukee. Loved it, but not surprised. You should see the front desk signage at some of the "other guy's" places in their corporate hometown (Parsippany)

edit- I'm obsessive about T&C. Burn me once, shame on me. Burn me twice and I smack you with the screenshot I took while booking. I remember the 30 mile clause. It wasn't that bad of a place? The now gone Econo Lodge in Morris Plains NJ is forever ingrained in my brain and if they don't remodel soon, the former HoJos, now Travelodge, in Parsippany is a goner too.

Often1 Nov 6, 2018 4:10 pm

It's far from odd, depending on the location and the property's experiences. Given that the property publishes its rules, not sure it's a big deal to disclose its location because that might help pinpoint the "why".

I would see this as very odd at a Four Seasons in Boca Raton and less odd at any budget property in a tough area.

lebowski2222 Nov 7, 2018 1:54 pm

I'll be honest, this is my first time booking a budget hotel like this and was just weirded out by the policy, only paid 60 total and its in a decent location in Milwaukee, I guess I was just shocked by the policy but didn't realize this was common for Budget hotels. It makes a lot of sense now

Often1 Nov 7, 2018 2:04 pm

I don't thin it's common, but it's certainly not odd. A decently run place, whether it's top of the line or budget can be trashed (physically and reputationally) if it starts being used by local petty criminals (prostitution, small drug deals, and the like) and one way to prevent that is to keep that traffic out and force the use of a CC.

I guess it largely depends on what the local trade would be.

est-gratuite Nov 7, 2018 2:36 pm

Sounds like they had bad times in the past with local young people under 21 from the city having parties in rooms, making noise, drinking and wrecking rooms with no credit cards to cover damages.

writerguyfl Nov 7, 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite (Post 30405375)
Sounds like they had bad times in the past with local young people under 21 from the city having parties in rooms, making noise, drinking and wrecking rooms with no credit cards to cover damages.

I went to school in a small rural town that had two residential colleges. All the area hotels had policies like the ones you describe. That was decades ago.

Cyberian Nov 7, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by lebowski2222 (Post 30405234)
I'll be honest, this is my first time booking a budget hotel like this and was just weirded out by the policy, only paid 60 total and its in a decent location in Milwaukee, I guess I was just shocked by the policy but didn't realize this was common for Budget hotels. It makes a lot of sense now

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d8487fdc54.png
You should hang out with us per Diem scroungers more. We've all seen some things...

lebowski2222 Nov 8, 2018 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Cyberian (Post 30405754)
You should hang out with us per Diem scroungers more. We've all seen some things...

Lol, now i'm hoping this place isn't having a 2 room gang bang/orgy next to our room. I will have 2 young kids with me.

PAflyer73 Nov 8, 2018 9:59 am

I saw this frequently in Oakland/San Francisco area as some of the more lesser expensive hotels attracted ladies of the night and their suitors.

jblueflyer Nov 8, 2018 10:12 am

This policy is not uncommon internationally either, I've seen loads of places which refuse local IDs and demand a card on file even if you end up settling the bill in cash.

Cyberian Nov 8, 2018 11:37 am

Did you at least get the automatic in-room safe fee refunded? I hate when they do that

GUWonder Nov 14, 2018 6:25 am

Originally Posted by lebowski2222 (Post 30405234)

It’s an attempt to avoid the property being used for disruptive or illegal activities — drugs, prostitution, underage consumption of alcohol and parties for such and otherwise — and to avoid catering to the local homeless population.

Passport card and/or passport works fine as ID for adults at such properties in Milwaukee, even if holding a local driver’s license or other state ID with a local address within 30 miles. And more times than not, local properties there will avoid enforcement of such a local resident ban if the local doesn’t get profiled as being a problem customers of the sort mentioned in my prior paragraph. I don’t know if the state laws on lodging services have changed in more recent years, but a state law applicable to Wisconsin hoteliers used to restrict the grounds upon which hoteliers may lawfully deny needed lodging services.

fastflyer Nov 14, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 30405539)
I went to school in a small rural town that had two residential colleges. All the area hotels had policies like the ones you describe. That was decades ago.

I also went to school in a small rural city. The fancy, local inn would allow local guests under 25, only if they were from three of the nicer local colleges, but not if they were from a fourth college nor from the large local university. When I first learned of this policy, I thought it might be illegal (this was in the 1980s). It would certainly not be welcome today with the sensitivity around all things elitist.

GUWonder Nov 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer (Post 30429368)
I also went to school in a small rural city. The fancy, local inn would allow local guests under 25, only if they were from three of the nicer local colleges, but not if they were from a fourth college nor from the large local university. When I first learned of this policy, I thought it might be illegal (this was in the 1980s). It would certainly not be welcome today with the sensitivity around all things elitist.

My bet is that the more “elite” a college/university, the higher the proportion of students with an out-of-state ID or a state ID showing a residentj address more than 30 miles away. So enforcement of “no locals” would fall harder on the “non-elite” school students than on the “elite” school students, as the latter could more easily run around such hotel restrictions.

Speaking of weird hotel policies in the same vein, the more down market hotels in the US are more likely to send over complete guest register lists to law enforcement authorities than higher end hotels.