Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

How to check award availability w/o having enough points?

Old Sep 29, 18, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold

When I am logged in and do an award search, I get a bunch of results back saying 8k per night (not actual availability, I believe). When I click on an individual hotel to check availability, it says "You do not have enough points to make this reservation using points. Please choose another rate".

Is there a way to check availability without having enough points?
sokolov likes this.
Old Oct 1, 18, 4:32 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
You could post exactly what you are looking for and I'm sure one of us would be willing to do a search.
Old Oct 1, 18, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Thanks. Does anyone know if availability search requires the number of points of the hotel you are checking, or any balance will do? Like say, 1000 points. Currently have zero balance.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
I’m also trying to determine how many point I would need for a brief one night stay in Northern California. I want to buy the points while the Choice sale is going on but I don’t know how many to buy. I know the points price for a standard room is 8000 but I need a pet friendly room and those cost more (using cash). I don’t know if they cost more in points as well.

The hotel is the Quality Inn, Crescent City, California there is only one room type that is specifically pet friendly, a double queen. Would someone with enough points be willing to look it up and let tell me the number of points required for that room type?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
I'm not sure where you got the 8,000 points.

Point amounts do change at different times of the year. I checked for 2 weeks out and all rooms, including the pet friendly 2 bed rooms, are 16,000 points.
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, Choice DM, Wyndham DM, BW DM
̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶C̶h̶o̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶.̶ ̶̶ Info is available after clicking on the property's name in any room search

There's more to your question than we've answered- Not all rooms are included in the points availability. They may have suites, double queens, etc. excluded from the pool of rooms that can be booked with points. Not all properties include all rooms in the points bucket.

The screenshot above is the points rate for that property, no matter what the room is *as long as that particular type of room is in the points bucket*. I've never seen different points quantities for different rooms the same date at the same property.

Here is Crescent City for today, including pet friendly room:

Last edited by Cyberian; Nov 17, 18 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 17, 18, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Thanks that helps a lot. I saw the 8000 because I'm traveling in December and it would be a weeknight (Mon-Thur) check in. The cash price for the Pet Friendly room is about $10 more than the lowest price room. I'm not familiar with the Choice program so I didn't know they would charge the same number of points for any room.

I can save a little money buying points and using them for the room instead of paying cash. With their current sale it looks like the price for 8000 points is about $30 cheaper than paying for the room.
Thanks again!
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:12 pm

Anyone who could do me a favor and check availability for me? For some reason my points purchase is taking forever (to take me from 5k to 6k), and I just want to know whether there's availability or not
Please PM me if you could help, it's one hotel, 2 dates. Thanks!
Edit: Points posted.

Last edited by klanfa; Apr 23, 19 at 5:18 pm

Search this Thread