Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Two Choice properties on my France Itinerary have disappeared as Choice Hotels online

Two Choice properties on my France Itinerary have disappeared as Choice Hotels online

Old Sep 6, 18, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice, Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Delta, American, Jet Blue, SWA
Question Two Choice properties on my France Itinerary have disappeared as Choice Hotels online

I have a three-week trip planned, I was confirming everything on-line and I have discover that two of the "Choice" hotels that I have booked are no longer listed in the hotel menu.

I go to my reservation page and the reservations are still active. So I'm confident that the rooms will be available and the prices guaranteed, but...

Will I get my points and more importantly my 2Xstay bonuses at these properties? Maybe the individual hotels are transitioning away from Choice and are honoring the existing reservations at the time of the split. Maybe it's an amicable divorce and Choice is being agnostic towards them as long as they get their commissions. I've received no notifications that these bookings are still considered/not considered "Choice." Maybe I am be worried about nothing.

Calling Choice is likely to be a worthless enterprise. Their operators seem to know little about anything complicated and most do not speak English well. These hotels are in France and I don't speak French, nor do I have an email address for said places so I'm turning to you all to see if you have any experience with this situation. Advice?

I'd prefer not to cancel, but if I'm not certain to get my proper "rewards", I can stay at IBIS (Accor) properties for less $.

Last edited by DCABarry; Sep 7, 18 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 7, 18, 4:58 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
I have stayed at Choice hotels that de-flagged after my reservation and before my stay. I did not get Choice points or stay credits.
Old Sep 7, 18, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
I have stayed at Choice hotels that de-flagged after my reservation and before my stay. I did not get Choice points or stay credits.
Thank you for your response.

The "de flagged" term is perfect.

If the customer was primary in the view of the company (any company), and the de flagging was no fault of his own (mind you I "discovered" this situation on my own - not notice by the company), the points (and bonuses) should be awarded . Hey, tie goes to the runner, right?

I'm afraid that in this case, with THIS company Choice, the customer is NOT primary in their view. You can see that I've become less of a fan of this firm. Sorry to all who are offended.
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
I expect Choice will handle this like any other hotel chain where a property is deflagged:
- reservation will be honored for the rate booked (if a paid stay). If you have a reward stay it will depend on if the property wants to honor the award reservation or not.
- No points will be earned.
- No benefits you thought you would get under the Choice program will likely be honored. The hotel is under no obligation to give you those benefits after they leave the program.
This is commonly they way it is always done. So basically you will get the room you booked for the price you booked it at but nothing more.
sdsearch and DCABarry like this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:03 pm

This thread describes a cautionary tale:
Quality Only Suites CDG Airport - has this property left Choice Hotels?

I would NOT assume that your reservation will be honored, it wasn't in my case. Although my scenario was probably a little different than yours. The hotel I booked with apparently closed down for a while but then it re-opened before my stay as an independent hotel, but the new hotel had absolutely no record of my reservation. I too discovered my issue "by accident" as I received no communication whatsoever from Choice Hotels about this (in my case, the reservation simply disappeared from my online Choice account and I happened to notice that).
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dadofsix View Post
This thread describes a cautionary tale:
Quality Only Suites CDG Airport - has this property left Choice Hotels?

I would NOT assume that your reservation will be honored, it wasn't in my case. Although my scenario was probably a little different than yours. The hotel I booked with apparently closed down for a while but then it re-opened before my stay as an independent hotel, but the new hotel had absolutely no record of my reservation. I too discovered my issue "by accident" as I received no communication whatsoever from Choice Hotels about this (in my case, the reservation simply disappeared from my online Choice account and I happened to notice that).
I should add that in my case, I actually didn't want to keep the reservation anyway as I was hoping to cancel it...but I had no way to cancel it since the new hotel didn't have record of it. (I ended up monitoring my credit card activity just in case a charge were to come through but it never did.)

In any event, I guess my point is that I would NOT assume that the new/rebranded hotel will honor your reservation - as that is not true in all cases.

But getting back to your original post, I agree with others that you would not receive any Choice points (base or promo) for these stays. If you have a good alternative, cancelling the Choice reservations may be the way to go if you can easily do that. (But in my case, I couldn't even do that.)
Old Oct 4, 18, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadofsix View Post
I should add that in my case, I actually didn't want to keep the reservation anyway as I was hoping to cancel it...but I had no way to cancel it since the new hotel didn't have record of it. (I ended up monitoring my credit card activity just in case a charge were to come through but it never did.)

In any event, I guess my point is that I would NOT assume that the new/rebranded hotel will honor your reservation - as that is not true in all cases.

But getting back to your original post, I agree with others that you would not receive any Choice points (base or promo) for these stays. If you have a good alternative, cancelling the Choice reservations may be the way to go if you can easily do that. (But in my case, I couldn't even do that.)
I cancelled said rooms because I couldn't get any kind of straight answer from Choice's minions (after nearly a hour on the phone.) When I called they kept saying the "you SHOULD get the points and bonus" over and over. They would not let me speak to a "supervisor" or send me an email to confirm in writing their conclusion that I would receive the points. Choice needs to clean up their act - the customer servers are challenged!
I did the Accor/IBIS hotels for those dates and they worked out grand. Choice management needs to take a long look at the Accor Hotels web site. Their booking management tools are vastly superior to Choice.

Oh well, it's just one more bad experience with them.
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:10 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by DCABarry View Post
Oh well, it's just one more bad experience with them.
I'm certainly not sticking up for Choice. However, I don't think other chains are any better in this respect. You can see the exact same threads in Marriott and others.

Search this Thread