Blackout Dates ?

Old Jul 20, 18, 9:41 am
soy
Original Poster

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Blackout Dates ?

I am new to redeeming in the Choice program. I understand the 100 day booking window, but I am trying to figure out if there will still be rooms available once the window opens.

Do properties block award rooms during high-season or is it like SPG where if a standard room is available for cash, you can get it for points ?
The property I am looking at is in Comfort Suites in Grand Cayman which goes for 30k, so is not exactly cheap even on points. Do not want to wait only to find cash rates are thru the roof and no awards available

Appreciate any advice.
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy View Post
I am new to redeeming in the Choice program. I understand the 100 day booking window, but I am trying to figure out if there will still be rooms available once the window opens.

Do properties block award rooms during high-season or is it like SPG where if a standard room is available for cash, you can get it for points ?
The property I am looking at is in Comfort Suites in Grand Cayman which goes for 30k, so is not exactly cheap even on points. Do not want to wait only to find cash rates are thru the roof and no awards available

Appreciate any advice.
It can depend which program's properties you're talking about. You can use Choice Privileges points to book hotels in other Choice programs:

Japan (Choice Guest Club) & Scandinavian (Nordic Choice) loyalty program discussion

but they seem to have different rules for awards availability than Choices Privileges proper. For example, at least a couple of the Choice Guest Club hotels in Tokyo never seem to have award availability. (Though others do, so if you're not set on one particular property, you shouldn't have problems finding one or more Tokyo properties for most dates well enough in advance.)

But for Choice Privileges properties, I think they have to have one room type at least as awards, but perhaps at some hotels it could be a room that sells out super-easily, I don't know. (At other hotels, they even let you book suites for the same number of points as the cheapest room!)

Keep in mind that while it's not a true blackout, if all the rooms that are designed as available for rewards are booked up by 100 days out, it acts like a blackout even though it isn't. So Choice may not be the best program for rewards stays during extra special events which do tend to book up far in advance (Super Bowl, total eclipses in the totality path, etc). For those kinds of highly-booked-far-in-advance events, you're better off (for reward stays) with another program that doesn't have a 100 day booking window limitation.

Having said that, most people most of the time are not trying to book such highly-booked-far-in-advance event stays.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 23, 18 at 7:47 pm

Search this Thread