Credit card surcharge at Choice Hotels?

Old Jul 18, 18, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Update: *No* Credit card surcharge at Choice Hotels!

Just an update: Choice got back to me today; Choice Hotels does not allow any of their hotels to charge credit card surcharges - apparently this was being done without their knowledge or approval, and they have put a stop to it, and refunded the charge to my card.

So there's our answer!

Last edited by midgrade; Jul 19, 18 at 7:26 pm Reason: Issue resolved by corporate.
Old Jul 18, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem, National EE, Hertz 5*
You can go a number of different ways of complaining and there's no reason why you wouldn't go with all of them. It doesn't appear to be illegal to charge a credit card surcharge in Alabama, but squeaky wheel gets the grease - it's a downright terrible customer experience to be slapped with all sorts of additional fees on check-in (which is why you should let the chain know).

VISA:
https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html

Choice Hotels:
https://www.choicehotels.com/support
Old Jul 18, 18, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I hadn't thought to contact Visa. I copied the Choice Hotels "executive team" on my initial email to the hotel yesterday, and forwarded them the response I got. Truthfully, I don't expect to get much from that, other than maybe a canned email about how their operators are all franchisees that are allowed to set their own policies, etc. But who knows?

I just wish that Choice would set and enforce consistent brand expectations.
Old Jul 18, 18, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1 View Post
You can go a number of different ways of complaining and there's no reason why you wouldn't go with all of them. It doesn't appear to be illegal to charge a credit card surcharge in Alabama, but squeaky wheel gets the grease - it's a downright terrible customer experience to be slapped with all sorts of additional fees on check-in (which is why you should let the chain know).

VISA:
https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html

Choice Hotels:
https://www.choicehotels.com/support
What do Alabama laws have to do with a hotel in Albuquerque?
Old Jul 19, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
This is an outrageous fee. If it was not disclosed at the time of reservation, I would challenge with my credit card company.

The ridiculous 'safe' fees seem to have gone away, but perhaps they are finding a replacement.
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
The ridiculous 'safe' fees seem to have gone away, but perhaps they are finding a replacement.
Nope, the safe fees are alive and well. The hotel in question has the safe fee, and the place I was at last night does too (although the fine print says it can be removed on request).

Last edited by midgrade; Jul 19, 18 at 7:36 pm
Old Jul 19, 18, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

In case you guys didn't see the edit I made to the original post, Choice got back to me today; Choice Hotels does not allow any of their hotels to charge credit card surcharges - apparently this was being done without their knowledge or approval, and they have put a stop to it, and refunded the charge to my card.

So there's our answer! Thanks to Choice for coming through.
jackal and lougord99 like this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by midgrade View Post
In case you guys didn't see the edit I made to the original post, Choice got back to me today; Choice Hotels does not allow any of their hotels to charge credit card surcharges - apparently this was being done without their knowledge or approval, and they have put a stop to it, and refunded the charge to my card.

So there's our answer! Thanks to Choice for coming through.
Now, if only they'd prohibit their hotels from adding on that stupid safe usage fee! I always forget to ask them to take it off...

Search this Thread