Disgusted with 8000 points for 2 nights

Old Jun 19, 18, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Exclamation Disgusted with 8000 points for 2 nights

2 Nights at a Choice Hotel gets you up to 8000 points when the fact is that the really nice locations often cost up to 30,000 points per night. I think it is a shame that Choice only offers 8000 points which is only enough for most of their less than popular location or older hotels and that is after 2 stays. To stay at a 30,000 point a night hotel you must stay 8 nights.

Choice needs to improve their awards and stop advertising that 8000 points is enough for a overnight stay at one of their hotels when the fact is the majority of their hotels now cost 10, 12 and up to 30,000 points per night. I find this advertising deceptive.
DCABarry likes this.
Old Jun 19, 18, 10:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo View Post
2 Nights at a Choice Hotel gets you up to 8000 points when the fact is that the really nice locations often cost up to 30,000 points per night. I think it is a shame that Choice only offers 8000 points which is only enough for most of their less than popular location or older hotels and that is after 2 stays. To stay at a 30,000 point a night hotel you must stay 8 nights.

Choice needs to improve their awards and stop advertising that 8000 points is enough for a overnight stay at one of their hotels when the fact is the majority of their hotels now cost 10, 12 and up to 30,000 points per night. I find this advertising deceptive.
No Choice advertising as far as I know has ever claimed that the 8K points would get you a free night at all of their hotels. Wyndham is the only major chain based in the US with a set amount of points for an award night at all of their properties, and they just started that in the last year or two--and given Wyndham's reputation, may very well change that policy in another year or two. Or maybe overnight without warning.

The number of Choice properties offered at 8K points has steadily declined over the past five years, and many quality foreign properties in Europe that were offered at 8K have either increased the points needed for a redemption or dropped out of the Choice Privileges program completely. I cannot agree, however, that their advertising regarding the Privileges program is deceptive. Choice Privileges is just not the value it used to be.
Old Jun 19, 18, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo View Post
Which is still fewer stays than you need in most other hotel programs to do the equivalent.

WyndhamRewards has all hotels for 15k points, but very few promotions (and the promotions they have tend to be severely capped), so with just the one ongoing promo that you earn a minimum of 1000 points per stay (even on way under $100 stays), you need 15 nights to get that free night "anywhere".

Several of the "major" hotel programs have promos that earn you about 3000 or 3500 points per one-night stay around $100, and in 8 stays you earn 24000 to 28000 points. And hotels in those program often require even more points than Choice Privileges.

So I'm not clear what you're comparing to (other than past) that you think this is so lousy. It may not be as good as it used to be, but (a) keep in mind that you couldn't accumulate Choice points over multiple years before, and now you can, and (b) Choice still earns faster in these promos (even relative to redemption) than most other hotel programs with most of their uncapped promos.

Meanwhile, on the advertising side, I think you may be mixing up memories of Choice advertising of the past with what they're actually advertising now. They actually spell out now that you may need to combine points from multiple pairs of stays to get certain redemptions! They didn't use to mention that (even though it was already true to some degree) before the got rid of "hard" expiration of Choice Privileges points.
Old Jun 19, 18, 2:20 pm

There is no chain that gives you a free night at any hotel after 2 stays (well, if you define a stay as 1 night).

And if you are talking about the current promotion, you cannot get 8k multiple times. It is just one time (the last promotion was multiple times, and it was 8k or more, whereas this is a total of 8k for 2 stays).
Old Jun 19, 18, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Disgusted? Really?
Old Jun 19, 18, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
There is no chain that gives you a free night at any hotel after 2 stays (well, if you define a stay as 1 night).
Wyndham does, with their current promotion.
Old Jun 19, 18, 6:44 pm

And if you are talking about the current promotion, you cannot get 8k multiple times. It is just one time (the last promotion was multiple times, and it was 8k or more, whereas this is a total of 8k for 2 stays).
I believe thatís incorrect, the terms Iím seeing in the current promotion mention ďevery two separate qualifying staysĒ. So one could earn 16k for 4 stays, 24k for 6 stays, etc.
Old Jun 19, 18, 8:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Club Carlson Concierge, IHG Plat, Choice Diamond: All things Chase
Every loyalty programs has their issues...but I feel like their promos are pretty solid. I usually make all of my stays there when they run it depending on what IHG is doing.

You're right that you don't have a ton of options for 8k...but I've been regularly getting ~$500 worth of value for 30k points. I travel a ton for work so I'm able to accumulate a lot of points. They do have a free credit card with a 32k point signup bonus too.
Old Jun 19, 18, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dadofsix View Post
Wyndham does, with their current promotion.
Yes, sorry, I already did the 2 so I completed that. No more.

Originally Posted by Dadofsix View Post
I believe thatís incorrect, the terms Iím seeing in the current promotion mention ďevery two separate qualifying staysĒ. So one could earn 16k for 4 stays, 24k for 6 stays, etc.
You know, I reread it and it seems like you can. However, I was reading OMAAT and he said no. https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....018-promotion/
Old Jun 20, 18, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, I reread it and it seems like you can. However, I was reading OMAAT and he said no. [url]https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/06/06/choice-privileges-summer-2018-promotion/
Where in that linked page does it say no? I can't find it! Perhaps it said "no" before but has corrected it now? Or perhaps you misread OMAAT too?

Just before the screenshot picture, it says: " This promotion is only available to members based in the US and Canada, and you can qualify for this bonus an unlimited number of times."

Then toward the bottom:

"Bottom line
Choice Privileges has a decent promotion for this summer. In reality you’re earning somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 bonus points after every two stays, which is a return of ~$19-30 per stay. Given how inexpensive many Choice properties are, that’s potentially a solid deal, especially for one night stays."
Old Jun 20, 18, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Where in that linked page does it say no? I can't find it! Perhaps it said "no" before but has corrected it now? Or perhaps you misread OMAAT too?
Haha, yeah - Lucky must have revised his post sometime last night or earlier today. I can vouch for s0ssos, thatís NOT what it said as recently as yesterday! It explicitly stated that it was different than Choiceís Spring promo and it couldnít be completed multiple times (or something to that effect).
Old Jun 28, 18, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I am getting $100 stays with Choice for 10k sometimes. And itís the only chain where my son goes to college, so Iíd stay there anyway.

A few months ago I saw the Comfort Suites, 320
N Michigan, Chicago, just a bit S of the river, for 6000. Was shocked.

So there are deals to be had.

Also, if elite you get the bonus above 8k.
Old Jun 28, 18, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
A few months ago I saw the Comfort Suites, 320
N Michigan, Chicago, just a bit S of the river, for 6000. Was shocked.

So there are deals to be had.
I think you were looking at the points + cash rate, those are quoted as 6000 + x dollars. I believe that hotel has typically been 25k or 30k for a reward night in the recent past.

Search this Thread