Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

General Membersí Award Booking Window Increased to 100 days!

Old May 9, 18, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

General Membersí Award Booking Window Increased to 100 days? Seems so.
Old May 9, 18, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what it says here today:

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...bership-levels

Of course, that means the biggest difference between elite levels (at least for those who mostly stay during "stay 2 earn 8000" promos, during which the extra earnings from elite status are "noise") is gone. So IMHO this thread could also be named "no reason to pursue Choice elite status anymore?".
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 9, 18, 5:09 pm

I wonder if this is legit, or maybe somebody at Choice screwed up when updating text on that page. Iím still getting the 75-day error message (for Platinum) when trying to book a Reward Night beyond 75 days out in the Choice app.
Old May 9, 18, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
That's what it says here today:

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...bership-levels

Of course, that means the biggest difference between elite levels (at least for those who mostly stay during "stay 2 earn 8000" promos, during which the extra earnings from elite status are "noise") is gone. So IMHO this thread could also be named "no reason to pursue Choice elite status anymore?".
Hey! About 1/4 of the time, I get welcomed as a Diamond member and told I'll be getting my 100-point bonus welcome gift. That makes all the hassle of dealing with Choice worthwhile!
Old May 9, 18, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Yippee, they will give me Avis Preferred Plus status for being Choice Platinum or Diamond.

On a serious note, why donít they also expand even further the booking window for Choice elites? Is it because they expect it would cost the program owner/operator ďtoo muchĒ more money?
Old May 9, 18, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadofsix View Post
I wonder if this is legit, or maybe somebody at Choice screwed up when updating text on that page. Iím still getting the 75-day error message (for Platinum) when trying to book a Reward Night beyond 75 days out in the Choice app.
There are times when the website works when the app does not. Right now the app is telling me I canít book award nights more than 50 days out; and thatís worse than it was for me a couple of days ago (despite my elite status being constant and my search covering properties in a different region than where my account is based).
Old May 9, 18, 5:23 pm

Yeah, it seems like an app defect. The website seems to allow booking up to 100 days out.
Old May 9, 18, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I tried 3 hotels, 74 days out, 80 days out, and 90 days out.
Every room time, I get this:

Old May 9, 18, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I tried 3 hotels, 74 days out, 80 days out, and 90 days out.
Every room time, I get this:

Were you logged into your account?
Old May 9, 18, 8:13 pm

For those adding data points relating to the new all-member 100 day award booking window: please specify (1) your current status and (2) whether the property you are attempting to book is "domestic" or "international".
Old May 9, 18, 8:25 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
On a serious note, why donít they also expand even further the booking window for Choice elites? Is it because they expect it would cost the program owner/operator ďtoo muchĒ more money?
The best guess I came up with earlier was that that's probably as far into the future as Choice can vouch for the stability and existence of any given franchise. Since hotels (especially lower-end ones) change brands and go out of business with some regularity, maybe past the 30/60/90/whatever day mark, they're not willing to stick their neck out for having to honor an award booking in case that happens (whereas a revenue stay can just transfer to the new owner or brand).
Old May 9, 18, 9:07 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Attempted to make numerous award bookings in Norway and Sweden today logged into my Platinum account. Still says: CAN BE BOOKED WITH POINTS FOR STAYS BEFORE
JULY 24, 2018. This corresponds to the 75-day window.
Old May 9, 18, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
The best guess I came up with earlier was that that's probably as far into the future as Choice can vouch for the stability and existence of any given franchise. Since hotels (especially lower-end ones) change brands and go out of business with some regularity, maybe past the 30/60/90/whatever day mark, they're not willing to stick their neck out for having to honor an award booking in case that happens (whereas a revenue stay can just transfer to the new owner or brand).
I doubt that the change is rooted in anything to do with how quickly a franchise property can exit a Choice brand franchise agreement.

Choice had data to know what the 100 day award booking window allowance was costing it even before the 100-day window was granted to general members of the program too. They probably donít have as much data about how much a 365-day award booking window would cost if.
Old May 9, 18, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I doubt that the change is rooted in anything to do with how quickly a franchise property can exit a Choice brand franchise agreement.

Choice had data to know what the 100 day award booking window allowance was costing it even before the 100-day window was granted to general members of the program too. They probably donít have as much data about how much a 365-day award booking window would cost it. The cost of an expansion to a 365-day window may be Choice sticking out its neck further than it wants.

My concern with this seemingly customer-friendly change is that it is another sign of the program being in a mode to ďinnovateĒ, and that such innovation may mean award pricing levels may end up being even less stable than they used to be for Choice redemption properties.
Old May 10, 18, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dadofsix View Post

Were you logged into your account?
yes, logged in, selecting the room (every room) - and it comes up with that error!
US, Canada hotels.

Within 30 day window - everything works fine.

Search this Thread