Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

General Membersí Award Booking Window Increased to 100 days!

General Membersí Award Booking Window Increased to 100 days!

Old Jun 1, 18, 10:17 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Thank you for your inquiry.

Currently, I am not aware of any additional issues with booking rewards night reservations on our website. With the newly extended booking window, you are able to confirm a rewards night for an arrival as far out as September 10, 2018, if confirming the reservation today.

We would be more than happy to take a further look with you to ensure there are enough points in your account for a standard rewards night reservation for the selected dates of travel or determine what the issue may be. At your earliest convenience, please feel free to send us a private message with your Choice Privileges rewards number, the expected arrival date in September, and the preferred property. Upon receipt, we can take a closer look at this matter.

We look forward to assisting you further.

Kind Regards,

Jose A.
Executive Guest Services
Old Jun 1, 18, 10:19 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by jix View Post
Hi, is there still website issue with the award night booking? I'm unable to book a single reward night for all Tokyo hotels in first week of September. It shows points available in the general list but when attempting to select a room it shows none available. When I tried to change it to a closer date in June it then says I do not have enough points. In both cases cash rate is available for the standard room and I have more than enough for the single room I'm trying to book.

Thanks
Thank you for your inquiry.

Currently, I am not aware of any additional issues with booking rewards night reservations on our website. With the newly extended booking window, you are able to confirm a rewards night for an arrival as far out as September 10, 2018, if confirming the reservation today.

We would be more than happy to take a further look with you to ensure there are enough points in your account for a standard rewards night reservation for the selected dates of travel or determine what the issue may be. At your earliest convenience, please feel free to send us a private message with your Choice Privileges rewards number, the expected arrival date in September, and the preferred property. Upon receipt, we can take a closer look at this matter.

We look forward to assisting you further.

Kind Regards,

Jose A.
Executive Guest Services
Old Jun 5, 18, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
I'm fairly new to Choice, but I assume individual properties (particular high end Ascend properties) limited award space to a certain number of standard rooms.
1. Even low-end Ascend properties (like a two-story motel) seem to limit award space to a certain number of a certain type of room.

2. I see no Ascend properties in Tokyo. Only Comfort Hotel (at least 5) and one Comfort Suites.
Old Jun 5, 18, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix View Post
Hi, is there still website issue with the award night booking? I'm unable to book a single reward night for all Tokyo hotels in first week of September. It shows points available in the general list but when attempting to select a room it shows none available. When I tried to change it to a closer date in June it then says I do not have enough points. In both cases cash rate is available for the standard room and I have more than enough for the single room I'm trying to book.

Thanks
Are you sure you were still logged in the whole time? Sometimes the Choice website logs you out in the middle of searching, and that's often the explanation of why it says you don't have enough points.

I just did a test booking for late June, found Friday availability slim, so tried a Sunday, and was able to almost book (did a Remove instead of Make Reservation after choosing a room) at several hotels, and then I tried Sun 9 Sep, which is just before the end of the booking window, and 3 hotels show no availability but 3 others work (again, doing Remove instead of Make Reservation on the last page before committing, but after being able to select a room).

So I'm not sure if you were having a temporary problem which has since gone away, or if you were not really logged in even though you thought you were, or if it's a problem specific to your account.

I get sold out for two of them (CH Higashi Kanda and CS Tokyo Bay) for most any date I try, but with the other 4 I find plenty of reward availability (other than for the next few days).

Btw, be aware that if you pay cash for Choice hotels in Japan, you cannot earn Choice points for those stays. Japan is a redeem-only country for Choice Privileges.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 5, 18 at 7:01 pm
Old Jun 5, 18, 9:29 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
like a two-story motel)
Ok well now I have to know which property you're talking about since you've brought it up in multiple threads.

I know that in general a lot of Ascend properties are more "midscale" than anything else, in the grand scheme of things, but simply compared to the average Choice property, they are higher end.
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:59 am
jix

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, JGC Premier, IHG Platinum, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Are you sure you were still logged in the whole time? Sometimes the Choice website logs you out in the middle of searching, and that's often the explanation of why it says you don't have enough points.

I just did a test booking for late June, found Friday availability slim, so tried a Sunday, and was able to almost book (did a Remove instead of Make Reservation after choosing a room) at several hotels, and then I tried Sun 9 Sep, which is just before the end of the booking window, and 3 hotels show no availability but 3 others work (again, doing Remove instead of Make Reservation on the last page before committing, but after being able to select a room).

So I'm not sure if you were having a temporary problem which has since gone away, or if you were not really logged in even though you thought you were, or if it's a problem specific to your account.

I get sold out for two of them (CH Higashi Kanda and CS Tokyo Bay) for most any date I try, but with the other 4 I find plenty of reward availability (other than for the next few days).

Btw, be aware that if you pay cash for Choice hotels in Japan, you cannot earn Choice points for those stays. Japan is a redeem-only country for Choice Privileges.
Thanks, I tried online and via app both did not work so I called in and the agent was able to book for me instead.
Old Jun 6, 18, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Ok well now I have to know which property you're talking about since you've brought it up in multiple threads.
The BLVD Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, in Costa Mesa California.

It was Comfort Inn Costa Mesa for many years in a previous life. It got deflagged about half a decade ago, then became BLVD Hotel (a tiny SoCal chain), and then in the past half year or so rejoined Choice as an Ascend Collection member while keeping that BLVD Hotel name. It was never rebuilt, only the insides were refurbished. It's still a two-story motel with no elevator.
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:33 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
I dunno.. looks like it has a fun surfing vibe from the pictures!
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:35 pm

Wow, this seems like an incredibly stupid business decision on the part of Choice.
Since the difference between a general member and a Diamond elite (or even any elite level really) is so minimal, I will stop reaching my Diamond elite status going forward, and moving most of my discretionary stays back to other hotel chains.
I expect I'll drop from Diamond elite to a general member (or Gold elite at best) next year and going forward, a loss to Choice of 30+ nights per year.
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
Wow, this seems like an incredibly stupid business decision on the part of Choice.
Since the difference between a general member and a Diamond elite (or even any elite level really) is so minimal, I will stop reaching my Diamond elite status going forward, and moving most of my discretionary stays back to other hotel chains.
I expect I'll drop from Diamond elite to a general member (or Gold elite at best) next year and going forward, a loss to Choice of 30+ nights per year.
Being a Diamond, you get 50% elite point bonus instead of 25% for Platinum. I'm no expert in all hotel programs, but I think Choice is the only one I know that has a booking window. All other programs, it doesn't matter what tier you are, you still can book anytime. Choice just moves somewhat in the direction of other programs to allow all tiers the same booking window.
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
You mean you're going to give up earning 8000 points on every 2 cheap one-night stays? That's actually the best "repeatable" promo around. Most other hotel programs are just giving wimpy "double points" sometimes with lame restrictions on when you earn even that.

Who cares that Golds now have the same benefit you used to get as Diamond, if you earned Diamond "naturally" because you did so many pairs of cheap stays to earn 8000+ points each time. It's how much I use those stay-twice-earn-8000 promos that made me get to either Platinum or Diamond every year, not a goal of booking at 75 or 100 days. And those promos continue (in fact, there's one going on now through mid-November).