Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Japan (Choice Guest Club) & Scandinavian (Nordic Choice) loyalty program discussion

Japan (Choice Guest Club) & Scandinavian (Nordic Choice) loyalty program discussion

Old Apr 4, 18, 10:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: World
Posts: 1,404
Japan (Choice Guest Club) & Scandinavian (Nordic Choice) loyalty program discussion

I'm a Japanese "Choice Guest Club" and Scandinavian "Nordic Choice" member and thought it might be useful to create a separate thread to talk about these related programs.

I have Nordic Choice Platinum status through a status match and it provides excellent benefits - daily F&B vouchers, upgrades, gym / spa access etc.. I have received Nordic Choice benefits on reservations booked using Choice Privileges points.

Does anyone use the Japanese "Choice Guest Club" loyalty program who can share their experience? Have you been able to receive "Choice Guest Club" benefits on reservations booked using "Choice Privileges" points?

Slightly related - the "Choice Hotels Japan" hotels I've stayed at using "Choice Privileges" points have specified a 12 o'clock noon checkout time during the check-in process in spite of all reservation emails / hotel docs in room / Choice Japan site mentioning a 10 AM checkout time as standard (with 11 AM checkout only for "Choice Guest Club" Gold elites). Is it possible that this later 12 o'clock noon checkout time is an undocumented benefit only for those booking these properties with "Choice Privileges" points?
mster is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 5:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by mster View Post
I
I have Nordic Choice Platinum status through a status match and it provides excellent benefits - daily F&B vouchers, upgrades, gym / spa access etc.. I have received Nordic Choice benefits on reservations booked using Choice Privileges points.
Does having Choice Platinum mean you automatically also have Nordic Choice Platinum, or do I have to specifically request a status match?
OhDoctor is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 5:14 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: World
Posts: 1,404
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Does having Choice Platinum mean you automatically also have Nordic Choice Platinum, or do I have to specifically request a status match?
The programs are 100% separate. Check to see if Nordic Choice is offering a status match at this time then check the offer terms to see which programs / tiers they will accept for said match
mster is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:18 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,020
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Does having Choice Platinum mean you automatically also have Nordic Choice Platinum, or do I have to specifically request a status match?
The latter officially. And presumably, like status matches in other programs, it's for only a year or two, and might not be repeatable. So time it carefully.

But, in practice, per GUWonder, some Nordic Choice hotels, if you flash your Choice Privleges Platinum card, will get confused and give you Nordic Choice Platinum benefits for that stay. But not all of them will (and it may depend on the check-in agent more than the particular hotel perhaps?). In fact, I recall GUWonder recommending being Choice Privileges Platinum instead of the higher Choice Privileges Diamond when traveling to Scandinavia, because there's no such thing as a Nordic Choice Diamond status.

But I tried this at a couple hotels on my last trip to Norway and it produced nothing. So I'll stick with being Diamond if that comes "naturally" to me.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 5, 18 at 12:24 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:24 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,020
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The latter officially. And presumably, like status matches in other programs, it's for only a year or two, and might not be repeatable. So time it carefully.

But, in practice, per GUWonder, some Nordic Choice hotels, if you flash your Choice Privleges Platinum card, will get confused and give you Nordic Choice Platinum benefits for that stay. But not all of them will (and it may depend on the check-in agent more than the particular hotel perhaps?). In fact, I recall GUWonder recommending being Choice Privileges Platinum instead of the higher Choice Privileges Diamond when traveling to Scandinavia, because there's no such thing as a Nordic Choice Diamond status.

But I tried this at a couple hotels on my last trip to Norway and it produced nothing. So I'll stick with being Choice Privileges Diamond if that comes "naturally" to me.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 4:02 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,289
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The latter officially. And presumably, like status matches in other programs, it's for only a year or two, and might not be repeatable. So time it carefully.

But, in practice, per GUWonder, some Nordic Choice hotels, if you flash your Choice Privleges Platinum card, will get confused and give you Nordic Choice Platinum benefits for that stay. But not all of them will (and it may depend on the check-in agent more than the particular hotel perhaps?). In fact, I recall GUWonder recommending being Choice Privileges Platinum instead of the higher Choice Privileges Diamond when traveling to Scandinavia, because there's no such thing as a Nordic Choice Diamond status.

But I tried this at a couple hotels on my last trip to Norway and it produced nothing. So I'll stick with being Diamond if that comes "naturally" to me.
Yes, but for some time now (and perhaps for the next couple of years at least), I have Nordic Choice Club Platinum status and use it on many Choice Privileges redemption bookings for stays at Nordic Choice hotels. I now always get the Nordic Choice Club Platinum benefits at Nordic.Choice hotels upon showing one or both Platinum cards or showing nothing (even on Choce Privileges redemption stays); but the upgrade situation goes from being very good to nothing even when showing my Nordic Choice Club Platinum cards.

I don’t recall Choice Privileges Platinum or Diamond being generally useful for getting an official Nordic Choice Club status match/change to Nordic Choice Club Platinum status. But there are some status match campaigns which Nordic Choice Club has had before (and maybe still has).

Nordic Choice Club is fundamentally a completely different program than Choice Privileges.

I don’t recall there being a cap to status matching, and even if there was, the consumers in this market are entitled to have their account deleted along with a bunch of the PII and then re-open a new account later.

My three favorite benefits as a Nordic Choice Club Platinum member:

1. 6pm guaranteed late checkout for no additional cost;
2. free hotel gym access even when staying offsite;
3. 125 kronor voucher for hotel restaurant/bar use.

The first allows me to have a full work/leisure day without having to move my luggage before I get done for the day and head out to another city/country.

The second has allowed me to not pay for gym memberships in cities where I have a home but don’t keep gym equipment.

The third is nice if wanting to grab a quick bite or drink without paying full hotel restaurant/bar prices.

I do get some great upgrades at Nordic Choice hotels — 750+ square feet suites included —, but some properties are way better in this regard than other properties; and some hotel reps are better with upgrading me than other hotel reps at the very same hotel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 18 at 4:25 pm
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:00 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post


Yes, but for some time now (and perhaps for the next couple of years at least), I have Nordic Choice Club Platinum status and use it on many Choice Privileges redemption bookings for stays at Nordic Choice hotels. I now always get the Nordic Choice Club Platinum benefits at Nordic.Choice hotels upon showing one or both Platinum cards or showing nothing (even on Choce Privileges redemption stays); but the upgrade situation goes from being very good to nothing even when showing my Nordic Choice Club Platinum cards.

I donít recall Choice Privileges Platinum or Diamond being generally useful for getting an official Nordic Choice Club status match/change to Nordic Choice Club Platinum status. But there are some status match campaigns which Nordic Choice Club has had before (and maybe still has).

Nordic Choice Club is fundamentally a completely different program than Choice Privileges.

I donít recall there being a cap to status matching, and even if there was, the consumers in this market are entitled to have their account deleted along with a bunch of the PII and then re-open a new account later.

My three favorite benefits as a Nordic Choice Club Platinum member:

1. 6pm guaranteed late checkout for no additional cost;
2. free hotel gym access even when staying offsite;
3. 125 kronor voucher for hotel restaurant/bar use.

The first allows me to have a full work/leisure day without having to move my luggage before I get done for the day and head out to another city/country.

The second has allowed me to not pay for gym memberships in cities where I have a home but donít keep gym equipment.

The third is nice if wanting to grab a quick bite or drink without paying full hotel restaurant/bar prices.

I do get some great upgrades at Nordic Choice hotels ó 750+ square feet suites included ó, but some properties are way better in this regard than other properties; and some hotel reps are better with upgrading me than other hotel reps at the very same hotel.
Thanks for the great info. They're actually doing a status match with Hilton exclusively at the moment for some reason, so my Hilton Diamond will be matched to Nordic Platinum. Fingers crossed for upgrades at The Thief, the F6, and the Skt Petri!
OhDoctor is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 12:35 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,289
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Thanks for the great info. They're actually doing a status match with Hilton exclusively at the moment for some reason, so my Hilton Diamond will be matched to Nordic Platinum. Fingers crossed for upgrades at The Thief, the F6, and the Skt Petri!
The status match aimed at Hilton elites seems to have been largely related to the Hilton CPH leaving Hilton and becoming a Nordic Choice hotel (as it is now).
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 7:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Posts: 356
Is that the Hilton Copenhagen, now the Clarion Copenhagen Airport? Doesn't seem like such an aspirational property that two big brands would be fighting over it.
OhDoctor is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 8:12 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,289
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Is that the Hilton Copenhagen, now the Clarion Copenhagen Airport? Doesn't seem like such an aspirational property that two big brands would be fighting over it.
Yes. And yet Nordic Choice has made a concerted effort to try to get capital airport hotel properties, to eat into Radisson/Carlson business, in the DK/NO/SE region and to be the top tier chain property providers downtown in the regionís capital cities too.

The at-airport hotel positioning is way less about aspirational properties ó who really dreams about staying at an airport hotel ó than about overall market position signaling in a region.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 7, 18, 9:20 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,020
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Nordic Choice has made a concerted effort to try to get capital airport hotel properties
Are they going to go after the hotel in the basement of HEL airport (Helsinki, Finland)? I stayed there when it was a Scandic, back when Scandic partnered with Hilton a dozenish years ago. It now appears to be a GLO (part of Global Hotel Alliance), which I find a very confusing hotel brand name, given that Best Western also has a Glo brand.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 7, 18 at 9:27 am
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:33 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,289
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Are they going to go after the hotel in the basement of HEL airport (Helsinki, Finland)? I stayed there when it was a Scandic, back when Scandic partnered with Hilton a dozenish years ago. It now appears to be a GLO (part of Global Hotel Alliance), which I find a very confusing hotel brand name, given that Best Western also has a Glo brand.
They may try to pull off either what they did at CPH or what they did at ARN, but for now they are stuck at Aviapolis, a 2 minutes train ride away from HEL. They also are still left out at OSL, which is sort of ironic given Nordic Choice’s principal is Norwegian.
mster likes this.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 21, 18, 6:26 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: RTW
Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Thanks for the great info. They're actually doing a status match with Hilton exclusively at the moment for some reason, so my Hilton Diamond will be matched to Nordic Platinum. Fingers crossed for upgrades at The Thief, the F6, and the Skt Petri!
Do you have a link for the match? Or is it done by e-mail?
slowly is offline  
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by slowly View Post
Do you have a link for the match? Or is it done by e-mail?
https://nordicchoicecampaigns.com/match-en/

I didn't notice the first time that this said 2017, not 2018. Or I noticed, but forgot what year it was. By all means, let me know if it works though! I won't have Diamond yet until June so hadn't tried yet.
OhDoctor is offline  
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: RTW
Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Posts: 884
I don't think it will work. I found that link last December and was disappointed I missed the match. They probably just forgot to take the page down.
mster likes this.
slowly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread