Locked Choice Privileges Accounts

Old Jan 5, 18, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Locked Choice Privileges Accounts

Within recent days/weeks, there seems to have been some kind of systematic locking down of Choice Privileges' user credentials for a variety of large point balance account holders within recent weeks. I've had to have calls made in to unlock several accounts since attempts to get an online password reset and other such online efforts on the website amounted to nothing. The common factor across the accounts: large point balances.

Anyone else here who has faced this issue too? Fortunately the unlocking process was very quick and efficient (if you got the right agent and the agent did the credential release properly), if calling after 9 or 10 am EST.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 6, 18, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I''m not sure what you mean by "a large amount", I don't know if I should be affected.

All I can say is that I have a bit over 400k points, and I have no problem logging in and seeing my balance.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Since I''m not sure what you mean by "a large amount", I don't know if I should be affected.

All I can say is that I have a bit over 400k points, and I have no problem logging in and seeing my balance.
200k to over a million.
Old Jan 12, 18, 7:02 am

Programs: SAS
Yes, I have encountered exactly the same problem with beeing locked out of my account ! I didnīt get any response to my emails to customer service at Choice, but thankfully the company representative on this forum helped and they finally finally got back to me , and we were able to sort it out and I was able to access my account again.

But unfortunately the approx. 15000 points earned through a number stays around the US this summer has been viped out from the account. Iīve mailed customer service but they havenīt replied yet.

On my account I see a message that I canīt really make any sense of:

" On September 1, 2017, all outstanding points were reissued by Choice Privileges Loyalty Services, LLC immediately following the cancellation of points by Choice Hotels International, Inc."
Old Jan 12, 18, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cph_flyer View Post
Yes, I have encountered exactly the same problem with beeing locked out of my account ! I didnīt get any response to my emails to customer service at Choice, but thankfully the company representative on this forum helped and they finally finally got back to me , and we were able to sort it out and I was able to access my account again.

But unfortunately the approx. 15000 points earned through a number stays around the US this summer has been viped out from the account. Iīve mailed customer service but they havenīt replied yet.

On my account I see a message that I canīt really make any sense of:

" On September 1, 2017, all outstanding points were reissued by Choice Privileges Loyalty Services, LLC immediately following the cancellation of points by Choice Hotels International, Inc."
That message’s language is because Choice (US) reorganized its loyalty program by parking it in a limited liability company just for the loyalty program operation. It went effective September 1st..
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:24 pm

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
That message’s language is because Choice (US) reorganized its loyalty program by parking it in a limited liability company just for the loyalty program operation. It went effective September 1st..
Thanks for the explanation. But regarding the "locked accounts" it seems that it not only affects accounts with large amounts since I only have some 15000 points.
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
My wifes' account also has been locked and after asking some security questions no response from the customer service. Very disappointed. Only 12k points in the account, but they were bought with the money during the recent promotions, which makes it even more upsetting. You buy the points and then they just lock down account?
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:10 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Private Message

Originally Posted by TokinaMaso View Post
My wifes' account also has been locked and after asking some security questions no response from the customer service. Very disappointed. Only 12k points in the account, but they were bought with the money during the recent promotions, which makes it even more upsetting. You buy the points and then they just lock down account?
My apologies that you have not been able to get back into your account. Please private message me with your member number and phone number and someone from our Member Services team will reach out to you to get this resolved.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels View Post
My apologies that you have not been able to get back into your account. Please private message me with your member number and phone number and someone from our Member Services team will reach out to you to get this resolved.

I am now locked out of my account. PM sent.
Old Jan 21, 18, 4:44 pm

Has anyone with a locked account and/or an account that has points removed had their account issues resolved successfully?

Not having issues myself (yet), but this forum could use more data points on best practices for actually getting Choice account issues resolved. IME things have gone downhill recently - their call center agent quality has gotten markedly worse and the elite award booking window frequently doesn't work online for about 1/2 of their international properties. I wouldn't be surprised to see this overflow into issues with stays posting, account locks, security issues / emptied accounts (like IHG) etc..
Old Jan 24, 18, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mster View Post
Has anyone with a locked account and/or an account that has points removed had their account issues resolved successfully?

Not having issues myself (yet), but this forum could use more data points on best practices for actually getting Choice account issues resolved. IME things have gone downhill recently - their call center agent quality has gotten markedly worse and the elite award booking window frequently doesn't work online for about 1/2 of their international properties. I wouldn't be surprised to see this overflow into issues with stays posting, account locks, security issues / emptied accounts (like IHG) etc..
Yes. I've encountered multiple accounts that were locked and that I then got unlocked. It required 1-4 calls per account before the unlocking was done. The agents were all polite and friendly on these calls, but the effectiveness in unlocking the accounts varied from agent to agent, and that can be frustrating to some.

In recent months, I've yet to personally encounter any accounts -- locked or not -- with missing points as far as I know.
Old Jan 24, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
My app acount is locked, but when I go online its unlocked.

I have 80 points
Old Jan 25, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Yes. I've encountered multiple accounts that were locked and that I then got unlocked. It required 1-4 calls per account before the unlocking was done. The agents were all polite and friendly on these calls, but the effectiveness in unlocking the accounts varied from agent to agent, and that can be frustrating to some.
But did anyone explain why the accounts were locked at all?
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elva View Post
But did anyone explain why the accounts were locked at all?
Got some line about hackers on one of the calls, but not sure what to make of that.
Old Jan 28, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are locked out of your account and access is not reinstated immediately after you properly verify your identity when calling in (presuming that you are not being locked out for fraud on your part !), make a point of filing a complaint with both the FTC and your state attorney general. If there is a missing points balance which is not promptly reinstated due to the decision to try to insulate the company through its own LLC, file complaints as above and make certain to do so against the old and the new entity.

These agencies do react to widespread problems. This may not directly benefit you in the sense that you will not receive anything for your complaint, but it may mean that there is an investigation of the practice and that can result in fines and potentially with some senior people being invited to find employment elsewhere.

It goes without saying that a PM to the lurker account is necessary to protect your data. But, please come back and report on the result. Choice should not be able to placate a few people with special treatment.

Search this Thread