Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice acquiring the WoodSpring brand for $231M

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond

I think that WoodSpring used to be called Value Place. Choice is acquiring the 240 hotel "WoodSpring," extended stay chain for $231M.

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/tran...9&mrkid=195057
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Am I the only one that has never heard of this brand?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by christianj
I have, and cancelled a month long stay reserved at one in Kansas City. They're bottom scrapers in KC, maybe elsewhere?

Now that I think about it, I noticed a couple weeks ago that they assimilated the ValuePlace in Junction City. That's ok, the Econo Lodge isn't the Taj Mahal, but it still works for me.

Last edited by Cyberian; Dec 18, 2017 at 7:04 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Cyberian
They're bottom scrapers in KC, maybe elsewhere?
I've never heard of them, but they get decent reviews on TripAdvisor in KC.

Last edited by ftnoob; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:23 pm Reason: Fix markup
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
I thought so too, until I got to KC and checked out the places and the neighborhoods. I'd fear enough for my personal vehicle, no way would I park a rental car there. Any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually on un-taxed per Diem and have stayed in some pretty shady dumps to pocket the $ and points, but I think Knights Inn Pine Brook NJ is about as low as even *I* can handle, and it was safer than any of the WoodSprings in KC.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
No, I have never heard of it either. I've heard of other extended-stay brands, especially the Extended Stay America family, but never of WoodSpring. It seems to have something to do with their locations. Pretty spotty out in the USA West (where I'm based).
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I just stayed at one in Wichita by the airport. It was very similar to a TownePlace Suites in terms of decor. I liked it and I'm happy to see more extended stay hotels in the Choice portfolio.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marquiss22
I just stayed at one in Wichita by the airport. It was very similar to a TownePlace Suites in terms of decor. I liked it and I'm happy to see more extended stay hotels in the Choice portfolio.
How about in terms of breakfast? TownePlace Suites breakfast is at least comparable to Comfort Inn, maybe even a bit better. But there are other extended stay brands that offer no breakfast at all.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How about in terms of breakfast? TownePlace Suites breakfast is at least comparable to Comfort Inn, maybe even a bit better. But there are other extended stay brands that offer no breakfast at all.
No Bfast.....the room had a full size fridge, microwave and stove top. You can "buy" a Simply Diningpackage at the front desk which has plates, glasses, silverware, etc. I think it cost $12 - $13 and you own the stuff. I didn't want/need it so I left it in the room.

They said this was a way to keep costs down, especially for guests who didn't need the amenities. Since I never eat Bfast in hotels (I do Sbucks or a coffee shop instead) I didn't mind this. The quality of the hotel was good, I liked it.

Who knows what will happen now that Choice has it.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
My friend stayed at a Woodspring when he was waiting for his new apartment to become available. They have a nasty policy that you must pay for all nights upfront. If you extend your stay without paying by 11 AM for that upcoming night, they will charge you a $10 late fee !
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:58 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker

But Choice Hotels already has Mainstay Suites to rival Towneplace and Candlewood. They have Suburban Extended Stay as their bottom of the barrel extended stay brand. Why else would they do this? They don't even have a Homewood Suites/Residence Inn/Staybridge Suites/Hyatt House rival, which is stupid. I've seen a Woodspring here in Asheville, NC-it's more on the level of Extended Stay America (and ESA is crap).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
But Choice Hotels already has Mainstay Suites to rival Towneplace and Candlewood. They have Suburban Extended Stay as their bottom of the barrel extended stay brand. Why else would they do this? They don't even have a Homewood Suites/Residence Inn/Staybridge Suites/Hyatt House rival, which is stupid. I've seen a Woodspring here in Asheville, NC-it's more on the level of Extended Stay America (and ESA is crap).
Choice Hotels could of bought Woodspring to expand their extended stay hotels in markets were they are lacking. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy hotels than build new ones. I'm guessing they will re-brand them either Mainstays or Suburban. Choice Hotels are more value hotels, even thought they have Ascend and Cambria. Choice Hotels is comparable to Wyndham Hotel brands: Days Inn, Super8, Travel Lodge, Ramada, etc,.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:10 am

at least choice hotel can have consistency and not wyndham.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
at least choice hotel can have consistency and not wyndham.
What does that mean? Are you forgetting that Choice also has EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, etc? Those are not much better than Days Inn. etc (at Wyndham),
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What does that mean? Are you forgetting that Choice also has EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, etc? Those are not much better than Days Inn. etc (at Wyndham),
[moderator edit] want to know if econo lodge and rodeway are better than days inn, read the reviews online! [moderator edit]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 23, 2018 at 4:10 pm Reason: Rule 12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.