Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice acquiring the WoodSpring brand for $231M

Choice acquiring the WoodSpring brand for $231M

Old Nov 28, 19, 4:10 pm

Way to go Choice, your line-up needed another brand.
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hy Dia,Choice Dia,MR Plt,PCR Plt,HH Gd, SPG Gd,Carlson Sil, CO Plt, UA Prem Exec, DL FO, Hertz #1GD
Looks like wood spring now showing up on app.
Old Mar 2, 21, 7:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Interesting. Despite the last post in this thread, I've seen nothing of WoodSpring in my Choice searches in the last eighteen months, either in the app or the website. On the woodspring.com website, you'll see no Choice symbols or anything seeming to link Choice to this chain unless you scroll to the bottom of the website's main page where you see the following: "© Choice Hotels International, Inc. All rights reserved." And if you click on the "News Room" link on the main page, you go straight to the Choice Hotels press page--where if you dig deep enough, you'll see a press release about their intent to launch another extended stay chain, Everhome Suites, with the first opening sometime this year in that well-known tourist destination, Corona, California. There are actually more obvious references on the WoodSpring's website to their former name as "Value Place" compared with their connection to Choice.

You can't earn points there, you can't use points there. There appears to be no Choice breakfast--of any sort. Nevertheless, in doing a web search combining Woodspring with Choice Hotels, you'll get some results indicating that Choice seems to be pushing this as an extremely cheap way to get into the hotel franchise business. Given the amount of time since Choice made the purchase, I'm assuming their business model for this chain is oriented towards experimentation--in other words, what can Choice do in a cheap place to stay without offering the usual Choice incentives? One idea, as noted above: Simply Dining and Simply Cooking packs where you purchase the pots, pans, plates, glasses, utensils, etc. that other extended stay chains, such as Extended Stay America and Candlewood, offer for free.

They're expanding. I checked Orlando for locations, and WoodSpring offers twelve although two are a bit outside the metro area and another group are well away from the parks. In my area, they have two pretty good locations, including one near my office that is located adjacent to a newly-constructed luxury apartment complex and just off a major city highway and interstate exit.

I may stay in one in the area just north of Orlando in a couple of weeks. I'm there for reasons other than the parks so the location should be fine. The cost for eight nights, including taxes is just over $400. If I do stay there, I'll report, but it appears that Choice doesn't intend to make this chain part of the earning/burning structure that we all know.
Old Mar 17, 21, 12:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
So I've made my reservation at a WoodSpring just to the northwest of Orlando. Total cost for eight nights, including taxes, was a shade under $410.

Just got a reminder about my stay. This note was unsurprisingly a part of my reminder email:

Loyalty Member Notice: Please note, stays at WoodSpring Suites® currently do not earn Choice Privileges® points, airline miles, or Amtrak Guest Reward® points. We are looking into expanding the program, however, so look for more information soon!

Review to come.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: