Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Privileges Visa Shorts Points

Old Oct 24, 17, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

I've been meaning to post this for a while but does anyone else out there have a Choice Privileges Visa card issued by Barclays that seems to consistently short you on points? I have been using one for the past couple years and I have been consistently shorted by them on the points they advertise that they will award for stays at Choice properties. I use it exclusively for Choice stays only where you are supposed to receive 5 points total per Choice property stay. I would say on average I only get paid out about 2-3 points per stay. The way it's supposed to work is they pay you 2 base points per stay which I always get and then a 3 pt bonus for staying at a Choice property making a total of 5 points total and that's the way they advertise the program. The problem is the bonus points only sporadically seem to show up and in my case my effective earn rate averages closer to about 3 points per Choice stay. Their is a line on the monthly statement in the rewards summary section that says "Additional points earned on Choice Hotels purchases" which is where the bonus points are supposed to show up. Sometimes I'll get a portion of my stays showing up there as bonus points, sometimes nothing but almost never the full amount I'm supposed to receive. My latest statement on Oct. 23 the same deal again. Two stays at a Quality Inn, I was only paid out 2 points per dollar spent, not the 5 that they advertise. About a year ago I documented all the points I've been shorted by them, I contacted Barclays about it and they supposedly opened an "investigation" into my missing points and they sent me a letter about a month later agreeing that I was shorted and they credited me 20,000 points which they paid. Now I'm back at the same place again, they owe me about the same amount again. I can understand missing awarding the points here and there but this is consistently every month I'm shorted and by a large amount. I don't know why I should use the card if it's gonna be such a hassle to get my 5 points that they advertise per stay. It's very misleading that Choice and Barclays advertise this program as awarding 5 pts per Choice stay when they don't follow through with paying out the points they advertise they will pay out. I feel like I should write the Attorney General of Delaware and give them copies of all my statements to see if they'll get on their case about it. Anyway, is anyone else having this issue of getting shorted on points with the Choice Privileges Visa card?
Old Oct 25, 17, 4:26 am

This has happened to me also for the past 3 years. I was told by Barclays that the 2 pts will show up on next statement, but the 3 pts bonus might take an additional statement. Before, I never had a problem. I've had the Barclays card since the beginning. I also only use the card for choice stays (maybe Barclays doesn't like that we don't use it for other purchases). I usually stay at 5 different choice hotels a year, with 2 or 3 not posting correctly. After the 2 billing cycles, I still have to contact them to get the correct points.
Old Oct 25, 17, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Yeah this seems to be a real systemic problem with these guys. Their not paying out consistently (or at all) the 5 points they advertise for using the card.
Old Nov 28, 17, 8:56 am

Programs: Choice Privileges
Missing 3x points too.

The same issue has happened to me last month. My $88 charge at at Clarion Hotel was only awarded the 2x points on my statement. The line "Additional points earned on Choice Hotel purchases"for 3x points had a value of 0 points. When I called Barclay to inquire, I was told that it probably will appear on my next month statement.
The next billing statement did have "Additional points earned on Choice hotel purchases", but it was for stays billed on my current statement.
Will call again and inquire why I was not awarded the 3x points on my $88 Clarion hotel stay.
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Good luck with getting the points they owe you. This is a systemic chronic issue they have issuing the points they owe you. I'm still compiling what they've shorted me but I'm up around 20,000 pts that they've shorted me the past year or so. I've stopped using their Choice card until they get this problem gets rectified. They spend ridiculous amounts constantly advertising this card with its purported benefits and then they don't follow through and actually deliver those benefits, very aggravating. I shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.
ramonortiz55 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:16 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Originally Posted by Jeff050 View Post
Good luck with getting the points they owe you. This is a systemic chronic issue they have issuing the points they owe you. I'm still compiling what they've shorted me but I'm up around 20,000 pts that they've shorted me the past year or so. I've stopped using their Choice card until they get this problem gets rectified. They spend ridiculous amounts constantly advertising this card with its purported benefits and then they don't follow through and actually deliver those benefits, very aggravating. I shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.
Any updates on this?

I was looking into their credit card - But if I am going to be hassling with them to get their points, I will take my credit somewhere else.
Old Dec 31, 17, 2:06 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Checking my new card I got from Barclays, and I am having the same issue - only 2 points per $ posted for both of Choice Hotel stays that I had.
This is ridiculous. If they know about the issue but don't fix it, does it constitute a breach of contract?
Old Jan 9, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Stayed in 3 Choice Hotels, using my Barclays choicehotels card - all of the stays are coded as regular purchases at 2 points per dollar instead of 5 points per dollar.
Called their customer rep, someone offshore transferred me to Choicehotels, which are clueless about the actual card charges, sent them a message with no resolution for two weeks already
Old Feb 6, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Reason number 1 i stopped using my Barclay card. I had to literally add up points and fight with them for months just to get the points posted to my choice account let alone i never even did the math and realize they were shorting me on stays, all i use it for now are balance transfers occasionally. I refuse to use the card and give them one penny of business since they can't even credit my points properly or timely.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Sep 17, 18, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't get back with anyone since my original post, I just got pulled off into other of life's distractions. Anyway, I did want to update that I did a quick review of my last 6 months or so of CC statements and as of today (9/17/18) it is still the case that Barclays is shorting the points they unceasingly promise as "5 points per Choice Hotels stay". The reality is they only credit only a subset of your Choice Hotel stays with 5 points and the actual average realized payout rate is around 2.5-3 pts per stay. It's really an ongoing disaster not to mention completely false advertising by Choice and Barclay's. Every statement I have run across far without exception they have shorted me promised points. I mean how tough is this to figure out what hotels are in the Choice chain and should be properly credited, I mean this is the crux of their whole advertising campaign on this card. Anyway, in the next week to 10 days I will do a thorough audit of all my statements going back 3 years and get a hard number to what degree they are consistenly shorting customers but I think around 2.5 - 3pts per stay will be close to the result from what I can tell.
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:21 am

I signed up for the card a few months ago, and just found out I'm in the same boat. Missing tons of bonus points for my stays going back over several months. I have no idea what's going on. Talked to Barclay customer service on the phone, they promised they'd investigate and send me something in writing with their findings in "7-10 days". That was 15 days ago.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:00 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Dear Jeff,Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. I understand this is important and I would be happy to assist. If you would be so kind as to private message us with your Choice Privileges member number, we can check into this for you. Please also include your phone number, email address and mailing address for account verification purposes in your private message. It would be greatly appreciated. Paula M.Executive Guest Services 9217635
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:02 am

Greetings,

Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. I understand this is important and I would be happy to assist. If you would be so kind as to private message us with your Choice Privileges member number, we can check into this for you. Please also include your phone number, email address and mailing address for account verification purposes in your private message. It would be greatly appreciated. Paula M.Executive Guest Services 9217648
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:05 am

Greetings,

Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. I understand this is important and I would be happy to assist. If you would be so kind as to private message us with your Choice Privileges member number, we can check into this for you. Please also include your phone number, email address and mailing address for account verification purposes in your private message. It would be greatly appreciated. Paula M.Executive Guest Services 9217649
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:07 am

Greetings,

Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. I understand this is important and I would be happy to assist. If you would be so kind as to private message us with your Choice Privileges member number, we can check into this for you. Please also include your phone number, email address and mailing address for account verification purposes in your private message. It would be greatly appreciated. Paula M.Executive Guest Services 9217654

Search this Thread