Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Privileges Visa Shorts Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Privileges Visa Shorts Points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
First statement and I have a stay (Comfort Inn) that only got 2 Points/$.

Would they post later? They said 15 points/$ including stay points.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by milemission
First statement and I have a stay (Comfort Inn) that only got 2 Points/$.

Would they post later? They said 15 points/$ including stay points.
Check down toward the bottom of your statement, and there should be a page titled "Points Details". The amount of points shown next to "Points Earned on Choice Hotel Purchases" should be equal to 3x the amount you spent on Choice Hotel charges. It's really complicated how they calculate points - you get 2 base points (shown next to the charge on the statement), then 3 more points are credited on that "Points Details" page, for a total of 5 points. It's misleading how they claim to offer "15 points per dollar", because the remaining 10 points are just the normal 10 points/$ that all Choice Privileges members get for stays whether they use the credit card or not. So, in short, having the credit card only earns you a 5 point bonus, not 15.
milemission and sdsearch like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Choice is NOT transparent, and yes they are shorting some people

Originally Posted by midgrade
Check down toward the bottom of your statement, and there should be a page titled "Points Details". The amount of points shown next to "Points Earned on Choice Hotel Purchases" should be equal to 3x the amount you spent on Choice Hotel charges..... So, in short, having the credit card only earns you a 5 point bonus, not 15.
So, I've experienced a similar problem off and on for a few years now as the OP. In fact, back in 2017, Barclays and Choice went so far as to send me a letter apologizing for shorting me on the 3 points and retroactively giving me the points. This letter was back in 2017. Then, all was fine in my statements for awhile until it started again in April 2018.. Somehow between the March and April statements of of 2018, they stopped showing the additional three points on my statements. I don't use this card every month (basically, only when I stay at choice hotels), but every statement that I do have beginning in April 2018 (6 statements total) only shows two points award. I never bothered to look closely this past year (scrolling to the bottom of the statement) because I had been round and round with Barclays back in 2017. But it turns out, they apparently have begun shorting me again as early as April 2018, like 9 months after they told me by letter they had "fixed" the issue.

Furthermore, because of a lack of transparency with the Choice rewards program itself, there is no way for a Choice card member to log onto the Choice Hotels website and see whether the proper points were transferred. There is no accounting.

So, it may be possible that Barclays and Choice are not ripping off the OP (or me) or other customers, but there is no way to tell. If they are ripping off customers, it would not surprise me given my experience in 2017 and the fact that my statements changed between March and April of 2018 (when they stopped showing the "3 extra points").

Perhaps someone else on this board can explain what is going on (why the switch in information and format on statements between March and April of last year) or how we can get an accounting of our points? I'm on the verge of just cancelling the stupid card, because 2 points per spend at a Rodeway is not worth it. I'd get better use from using my Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Jeff050
. I feel like I should write the Attorney General of Delaware and give them copies of all my statements to see if they'll get on their case about it.
This sounds like a case that most states laws on Deceptive Trade Practices would cover (selling a product - a credit card - that does not provide the benefits promised... a classic bait and switch), and thus appropriate for state attorneys generals offices to investigate. It's happening to me too, and Barclays Choice credit card customer service just flat out denied they were doing it and claimed that Choice is supposed to give me the 3 extra points in addition to the 2 points given by the credit card.That is certainly not what their advertisements say.

If Choice ran a more transparent program, they wouldn't be able to get away with apparently shorting customers - though hopefully someone else has a more positive explanation.

Last edited by MJMLBBtoCPH; Apr 7, 2019 at 8:32 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:32 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
So, I've experienced a similar problem off and on for a few years now as the OP. In fact, back in 2017, Barclays and Choice went so far as to send me a letter apologizing for shorting me on the 3 points and retroactively giving me the points. This letter was back in 2017. Then, all was fine in my statements for awhile until it started again in April 2018.. Somehow between the March and April statements of of 2018, they stopped showing the additional three points on my statements. I don't use this card every month (basically, only when I stay at choice hotels), but every statement that I do have beginning in April 2018 (6 statements total) only shows two points award. I never bothered to look closely this past year (scrolling to the bottom of the statement) because I had been round and round with Barclays back in 2017. But it turns out, they apparently have begun shorting me again as early as April 2018, like 9 months after they told me by letter they had "fixed" the issue.

Furthermore, because of a lack of transparency with the Choice rewards program itself, there is no way for a Choice card member to log onto the Choice Hotels website and see whether the proper points were transferred. There is no accounting.

So, it may be possible that Barclays and Choice are not ripping off the OP (or me) or other customers, but there is no way to tell. If they are ripping off customers, it would not surprise me given my experience in 2017 and the fact that my statements changed between March and April of 2018 (when they stopped showing the "3 extra points").

Perhaps someone else on this board can explain what is going on (why the switch in information and format on statements between March and April of last year) or how we can get an accounting of our points? I'm on the verge of just cancelling the stupid card, because 2 points per spend at a Rodeway is not worth it. I'd get better use from using my Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Hey there! We appreciate all the feedback everyone's been providing on what is reflected on their bank statements. These concerns are important for us to know so we are aware of how our Choice Privileges Members are being impacted. Since Barclay's oversees point allocations related to your credit card purchases, we urge you to notate your statements and report discrepancies directly to them for correction. Feedback about these changes is critical for our success, and your suggestions for this offering will be reviewed to hopefully inspire improvements with the program. If there any other questions or comments, please feel welcome to send us a message! *Julio

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.