Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

"Cancelling" online doesn't cancel the reservation

Old Oct 15, 17, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

Just noticed that all of the reservations I had cancelled in the past few weeks were still showing as confirmed. Tried cancelling again, and still didn't get a cancellation e-mail. Though I did get the cancellation details page after clicking the cancel button.

Luckily I noticed prior to the cancellation deadline, but super annoying that I can't seem to cancel reservations online now. Not sure if it's just me, but everyone may want to check to see if a reservation you cancelled was actually cancelled.
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:19 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
I have not heard of this problem. I havenít cancelled for 3-4 months, but had no problems at that time.
Old Oct 16, 17, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I accidentally did a double booking on Sept 29 (just over two weeks ago), cancelled one of the bookings (kept the other) within minutes, got a cancellation email immediately, and it still shows as cancelled today.
Old Oct 16, 17, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, maybe it is just me then. Tried several different browsers, internet connections, anything I could think of.
Old Oct 17, 17, 10:53 am

I booked something like ten nights since this last promo started, and ended up cancelling eight of them - all the cancellations went through fine, both through the app and on the desktop site. None within the last couple weeks, though, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear that something is broken on the website. Perhaps try the app?
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:19 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Private Message

Originally Posted by alphaeagle View Post
Just noticed that all of the reservations I had cancelled in the past few weeks were still showing as confirmed. Tried cancelling again, and still didn't get a cancellation e-mail. Though I did get the cancellation details page after clicking the cancel button.

Luckily I noticed prior to the cancellation deadline, but super annoying that I can't seem to cancel reservations online now. Not sure if it's just me, but everyone may want to check to see if a reservation you cancelled was actually cancelled.
My apologies for this frustration. Please send me a private message with your member number and phone number so that we can further look into this issue for you.
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Did you get a cancellation number online? Remember, we do not see the back-end system on the web. It could be the update to the website is what was failing. If you have the confirmation number of the cancellation you are good to go (or rather not go) and any charges should be reversed or disputed.

It's getting where constant screenshots are a safety net we need to consider.
Old Oct 19, 17, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
I Just cancelled one with no Problem

I just cancelled a reservation for next month and got the cancellation email immediately and it is gone from my reservations. It was a point stay and the points went back into my acct. in less than 1 minute
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Did you get a cancellation number online? Remember, we do not see the back-end system on the web. It could be the update to the website is what was failing. If you have the confirmation number of the cancellation you are good to go (or rather not go) and any charges should be reversed or disputed.

It's getting where constant screenshots are a safety net we need to consider.
I didn't, just the cancellation confirmation screen and the status still showed as reserved (which I hadn't noticed at first). When I called to cancel they were able to get it cancelled and I did get an e-mail cancellation at that point.

I asked the agent about it and they said there were some system changes on their side. Apparently they couldn't cancel it the normal way and had to use the old way (or something like that).

Sent a PM to ChoiceHotels, hopefully they'll be able to get it worked out.
Old Nov 1, 17, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

I didn't get a follow up from the Choice rep here, but it does look like I can cancel reservations online again as of today. Or maybe only certain reservations booked before a certain time couldn't be cancelled online, who knows.

Looks like I was alone with this issue, but if anyone else had trouble it may be working now.

Search this Thread