Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Transfer Bonus From Choice To United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Cutting to the chase, a combination of bonuses means you can get 3250 United miles for 5000 Choice points through 11/30. Details here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...297.1506727859.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'm surprised this is getting so little attention. Seems like a great deal. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sitting on lots of Choice points from DA.

Are there any datapoints how long transfers take? I assume we're not going to beat the Nov 1 devaluation?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm surprised this is getting so little attention. Seems like a great deal. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sitting on lots of Choice points from DA.

Are there any datapoints how long transfers take? I assume we're not going to beat the Nov 1 devaluation?
Not all the point you get are from the transfer. The 30% bonus is issued by United itself.

So there's two timings involved:

1. How long it takes for the points to get from Chase to United.

2. How long it takes after that for United to issue the 30% bonus

Meanwhile, do you have an actual booking you plan to do before the devaluation (that's affected by the devaluation*) if you get enough miles by then (but don't have enough miles now)? That would seem to cutting it very close, even if there's a chance it all will post in time.

* The devaluation is not universal. For example, the USA<->Europe on UA metal simply is getting elevated to what USA<->Europe was on partner airlines for a few years now. If you were planning to fly USA<->Europe on partner airlines, there's no devaluation.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I transferred 165k Choice points last night and can confirm that the Choice --> UA transfer goes through within a day. I don't expect the 30% bonus to arrive before the devaluation.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:31 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I'm not able to process the transfer - just get a blank screen...
I'd love to get my points out, very disappointed with the program...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Yes, a better deal than the club carlson 100% transfer that I was thinking of. Maximum is 25,000 bonus points issued by UA.

Bonus points will be issued by 1/30/2018. And reading prior threads, UA does keep to its word, so bonus points will take a long time to post.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:38 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Weird, but the Exchange function seems to round my last fraction of 1000 Choice points _up_, treating the 500 remainder as if the full 1000 points were present and giving me 500 UA miles for it. So there is no need to top off your account to a multiple of 5k multiple or even a multiple of 1k. (Edited to add: you might only get credit for 500 or more remainder points, not for 499 or less.)

Choice just began a 30% bonus on points purchases yesterday. With that 30% and the 5k to 2.5k transfer and the 30% UA bonus, you can outright buy UA miles for about 1.3 cents each until you reach the 25k cap on UA bonus or the 50k cap on Choice points purchases.

For people who saved up Choice points to use for Southwest's Companion Pass (no longer possible) this is an excellent redemption option. If Cash + Points were not dead this deal would be even hotter, possibly causing a repeat of the long-ago Continental>Amtrak>Choice>Southwest fiasco. As it is, the deal is warm but not hot.

Last edited by nsx; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Fyd
I'm not able to process the transfer - just get a blank screen...
I'd love to get my points out, very disappointed with the program...
Your points earning preference needs to be set to Choice points rather than any airline in order to enable points purchase or transfer functionality.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I just bought points to top off my United Account for an award redemption. My Mother bought them at the same time for her account. My points posted immediately and I was able to initiate the transfer to United.

Her points purchase has not gone through. I checked and her account is set to earn Choice points. She received a pending email and it is showing on her credit card. The only issue that I can think of is that her account was dormant as she had not had a choice stay in over three years. Anybody have any data points?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by KathinJax
I just bought points to top off my United Account for an award redemption. My Mother bought them at the same time for her account. My points posted immediately and I was able to initiate the transfer to United.

Her points purchase has not gone through. I checked and her account is set to earn Choice points. She received a pending email and it is showing on her credit card. The only issue that I can think of is that her account was dormant as she had not had a choice stay in over three years. Anybody have any data points?
It normally takes 24 hours for the purchased Choice points to credit. That is how long it took for me.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:13 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jpdx

I think this bonus is for a lot of hotel chains so its attention is spread.

Also I don't think you can double dip this bonus with any other transfer. Either way I think your capped at the 25k total no matter what.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It normally takes 24 hours for the purchased Choice points to credit. That is how long it took for me.
It took about 36 hours for her Choice points purchase to post to her Choice account. I don’t know what her holdup was as my Choice points purchase posted almost immediately.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Careful

You must register with UA for the promo and not everyone is eligible-me included.

Last edited by rbAA; Nov 15, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:13 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by rbAA
You must register with UA for the promo and not everyone is eligible-me included.
When I log in to my UA account and go to the tab for hotel offers, I see the offer listed with 'no registration required'.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by soy
When I log in to my UA account and go to the tab for hotel offers, I see the offer listed with 'no registration required'.
Right, Choice to UA doesn't require registration. It's the 30% bonus UA miles that requires registration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.