Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Hotel Sign Stockholm; res with points now non-refundable?

Old Aug 12, 17, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold

I've been staying at Hotel Sign for several years now, always using points, as it is a good deal at 10k night.

I have a trip coming up and went to book, now there is a disclaimer note:

" I agree and acknowledge this is a prepaid, non-cancellable rate.
If you would like to choose a more flexible rate, Click here"

I clicked for a more flexible rate, and got the same rates with the same disclaimer. This disclaimer note does not show if you use any rate option other than points.

My last trip in June, I booked with points and the res was fully refundable until 4pm on day of arrival.

Tried booking at Clarion Stockholm using points, and cancellation policy there is 4pm on day of arrival, so this looks like a new policy by only Hotel Sign.

Called Choice Hotels res, and they see this disclaimer as well.

Didn't know individual hotels could do this.
Old Aug 13, 17, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Many Nordic Choice hotels now make res with points non-refundable

Just did further checking, and this disclaimer of a res made with points being a pre-paid res and non-cancellable is also on the website for these hotels in Stockholm:
Nordic Light
Amaranten
Gillet
Hotel C
At Six
HoBo
Clarion Arlanda Airport

Also checked properties in CPH and OSL, and the disclaimer is on some locations in those places as well.

Using points at Nordic Choice properties was a really good use of points.

Now with a res using points being non-refundable, the situation has changed.
Old Aug 13, 17, 3:15 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I just booked the Clarion Sign for Oct this year and it is cancellable up to 1 day prior to check in.

Could it just be a certain few dates that have the clause? I've seen this in other chains as well. i.e. some ICs over NYE
Old Aug 13, 17, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I've just tried many dates for Sign in Sept and Oct, and I always get the disclaimer notice just above the box you click to make the reservation.

If I select the "best available rate", I do not get the disclaimer box, and the reservation is cancellable until 4pm local time on day of arrival.

This disclaimer is only when booking with points.

The last reservation I made for Sign was on 6/18, and did not have this disclaimer notice. Perhaps this is a very recent change.

When did you book your reservation?
Old Aug 15, 17, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Donna49 View Post
I've just tried many dates for Sign in Sept and Oct, and I always get the disclaimer notice just above the box you click to make the reservation.

If I select the "best available rate", I do not get the disclaimer box, and the reservation is cancellable until 4pm local time on day of arrival.

This disclaimer is only when booking with points.

The last reservation I made for Sign was on 6/18, and did not have this disclaimer notice. Perhaps this is a very recent change.

When did you book your reservation?
Yesterday I used the iOS app to book the hotel using points for a reservation with a stay later this month, and I was able to cancel it today with the points placed back.

And today when I do this for new bookings it still says "You can cancel this reservation free of charge until ______ [day of stay] 2017 at 4:00 PM Stockholm time."

I hope this "problem" doesn't end up being an excuse to pull a cash+points-type pulling.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 15, 17 at 1:50 am
Old Aug 15, 17, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I have now used the Choice app on my phone (android) to make a res in Stockholm, and it works fine if I select "Everyday Rate".

But when I switch to "Reward Points", every hotel shows "no availability for that rate" on many different dates.

Strange that you and Ised have been able to book with points without having to accept the disclaimer that shows up on the Choice website for me.

Glad you can, as it is a great use of points. But I'm not going to make a non-cancellable res until I'm actually in Stockholm.
Old Aug 16, 17, 2:51 am

Interesting. I have now used the Choice app on my phone (android) to make a res in Stockholm, and it works fine if I select "Everyday Rate".

But when I switch to "Reward Points", every hotel shows "no availability for that rate" on many different dates.

Strange that you and Ised have been able to book with points without having to accept the disclaimer that shows up on the Choice website for me.

Glad you can, as it is a great use of points. But I'm not going to make a non-cancellable res until I'm actually in Stockholm.
What's weird for me is that the following line shows up all by itself during the attempted booking:

"time of registration. if a change is made to the reservation,".

I don't know what to make of that line.
Old Sep 24, 17, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Back to normal for a res using points

I'd like to update this thread with the info that the "disclaimer" notice that said the reservation (when using points) was pre-paid and non-cancellable is now gone. This is true for Hotel Sign, and the other locations I mentioned above.

It is all back to normal. A reservation is once again fully cancellable until 4pm local time on the day of arrival.

Perhaps this was something required with the transition to Choice points being issued by Choice Privileges Loyalty Services, LLC. I have no idea.

Just glad things are back to the way it was.
Old Oct 22, 17, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Web site now says "10,000 pts plus $10,000"

Needed to book Hotel Sign for next weekend. Went to choicehotels.com to book, and the website says "10,000 points plus $10,000". So I called res and made a reservation over the phone, my e-mail confirmation is for 10,000 pts/nite.

The agent I talked with had no idea where the $10,000 was comming from, as it was not on her screen.

Checked other hotels in Stockholm, and every one had the points plus the number of points in $ as an additional amount....20,000pts + $20,000 per nite for the Clarion at the airport.

Strange.
Old Oct 25, 17, 5:31 am

I'd like to update this thread with the info that the "disclaimer" notice that said the reservation (when using points) was pre-paid and non-cancellable is now gone. This is true for Hotel Sign, and the other locations I mentioned above.

It is all back to normal. A reservation is once again fully cancellable until 4pm local time on the day of arrival.

Perhaps this was something required with the transition to Choice points being issued by Choice Privileges Loyalty Services, LLC. I have no idea.

Just glad things are back to the way it was.
The CPLS LLC transition wasn’t the cause of that.

And the funky points+cash display has been a recurring issue for years now, so that too is not a function of the transition to CPLS LLC when it comes to this property.

Search this Thread