Transfer to some partners now in real time?

Old Jun 26, 17, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Transfer to some partners now in real time?

A UA email newsletter now says "You can now convert your Choice Privileges points into award miles in real time." The link in the email starts news.united.com but it converts to https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...wards-exchange .

I don't see real time mentioned there, but for "rewards exchange," among U.S. carriers they show AS, UA, and WN. AA is listed among "Other partners," saying to contact customer service and allow 2-6 weeks for the exchange. Is this an old story, and do people have experience with real-time transfers?
Old Jun 26, 17, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No experience, but at the Choice Rewards Exchange link you gave, there's an FAQ, and it says in there:
How much time do I have to wait until my transaction is complete?

Depending on the program, it can take up to 5 business days for your transactions to process.
And it further down in that FAQ says redemptions over the phone may be slower. So maybe that's why 2-6 weeks for "Other Partners" like AA but no more than 5 business days for the ones you can do online (which includes UA), because they've set up special channels for those to go a faster way than traditionally?
Old Jul 1, 17, 8:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
I do transfers into United from other sorts of programs (surveys, MyPoints), and the essentially instant transfer speed looks to be on United's end- seems set up to instantly move small bits of points/miles over in real time rather than being part of a regular batch run every 7-30 days like some programs use. It's one bit of IT they do really well.
Old Jan 3, 19, 12:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering how often Choice process the batch run for AA miles? Even though on the choice's website, the AA was listed as one of their reward exchange page, but it seems it can't transfer instantly like other carrier, UA, AC, WN. I just wondering I have to call Choice customer service and request convert point to AA miles, how long does it usually take to post? I understand it said about 2 - 6 weeks. I have transferred other hotel points to airline miles, and even though they said it will take about 2 - 6 weeks, usually I see it post within one week. If anyone has experience, please share.

Thank you very much for any input.
Old Jan 3, 19, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevin720616 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering how often Choice process the batch run for AA miles? Even though on the choice's website, the AA was listed as one of their reward exchange page, but it seems it can't transfer instantly like other carrier, UA, AC, WN. I just wondering I have to call Choice customer service and request convert point to AA miles, how long does it usually take to post? I understand it said about 2 - 6 weeks. I have transferred other hotel points to airline miles, and even though they said it will take about 2 - 6 weeks, usually I see it post within one week. If anyone has experience, please share.

Thank you very much for any input.
Anytime something says it takes such-to-such amount of time to transfer (any 2 programs), it's generally not a fixed amount of transfer time, but rather a fixed periodic transfer schedule, and thus your actual transfer time will vary depending on when you initiate the transfer versus what the (hidden from you) behind-the-scenes transfer schedule is. (Hardly any company ever documents their behind-the-scenes schedules.)

So for example, if A transfers to B every two weeks always on a Wednesday, if you initiate the transfer two days before that Wednesdays on a Monday, it may take less than a week, while if you initiate the transfer one day after that Wednesday on a Thursday, it'll take over two weeks, because you'll have until the next Wednesday almost two weeks away. And then if that Wednesday when they would usually do a transfer happens to be a moving holiday such as Jan 1 or July 4, they might skip that Wednesday and thus you might have to wait up to a bit over 4 weeks rather than the normal a bit over 2 weeks.

It's the kind of complicated interactions between fixed transfer schedules (with exceptions for holidays maybe, and with redoes possibly sometimes required two weeks later in case of an error) with different transfer initiation times that leads to statements like "it may take up to 6-8 weeks". But one single datapoint of "1 week" does not prove that it will always take 1 week either. You need a lot of datapoints, hopefully each mentioning which day of the week and date the transfer was initiated, to start to get a clue about what the most likely range of transfer times is, and maybe get a clue as to what the transfer schedule is. (I emphasize day of the week and date because transfer schedule might be on a particular day of the week or on particular days of the month, or even something else.)
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:22 pm

Hi Sdsearch,

Thank you for your input, it does make sense of what you saying and totally understandable. I just wondering if anyone has experience. I am a bit short on AA mile to redeem a award ticket, I guess I will do it and see what happen. Thank you again, and happy new year!

Search this Thread