Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Points Plus Cash Alive Again! (was: End of Points Plus Cash program ?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Plus Cash Alive Again! (was: End of Points Plus Cash program ?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's probably because of currency issues. Points + Cash is done in round US dollars (but it doesn't spell out "US" online and maybe it doesn't even have room to spell out "US" online?), but that doesn't translate cleanly to other currencies.
It's possible, but all other hotel chains are able to do this without a problem.

I tried changing my address to my US mailbox, and it still doesn't work. I suspect the restriction is based on account number format (I believe Choice US account numbers are ABC12345 while Choice Canada account numbers are 12345678901).

Is "regular" Choice points purchase available to Choice members in Canada and elsewhere?
Yes.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nabeelj
It's possible, but all other hotel chains are able to do this without a problem..
Most other hotel chains (with the exception of Marriott, where I've read about it but never actually seen it) have had cash + points for many many years longer than Choice has had it. And I'm not referring to since the end of the disappearance, the original debut of Choice cash + points was not all that long ago, compared to all the other hotel chains.

The only other hotel chain that does points + cash in the same way (as a purchase of points) as Choice is IHG, and it's had cash + points working that way for over a decade I think. So any early problems they may have had, that was many years ago. But Choice is still just figuring this out.

Btw, how does IHG Cash + Points work in Canada? Does it display the same $40, $70, etc that it does in the US? Does it charge you in USD and count on your card to convert to Canadian dollars?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Btw, how does IHG Cash + Points work in Canada? Does it display the same $40, $70, etc that it does in the US? Does it charge you in USD and count on your card to convert to Canadian dollars?
IHG displays the cash co-pay in CAD in the search results, but makes it clear it's being charged in USD when booking.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
5-10% less than AAA rates is usually the best I seem to find with Choice in rather rural areas. Still, it rarely ends up being less than $70/night inclusive of tax for me. Doing 2 such one-night stays for $140+ (and that's lower than it ends up being for me) of Choice hotel stays for 8,000 Choice points is less ideal for me than using CP Points+Cash to get 8,000 points for $60. Also, my time is rather valuable -- no jokes about my time on FT -- and it's not natural for me to want to stay at a variety of cheap US Choice properties for a single-night stay when I'd rather use my time to stay elsewhere (and often outside of the US at that).
Not just to GUWonder... A really stupid question, but I haven't mined all aspects of ChoiceHotels' Points+Cash yet: Will two Points+Cash stays earn the 8,000 in the stay-twice-earn-8,000 promotions? Thank you.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Firewind
Not just to GUWonder... A really stupid question, but I haven't mined all aspects of ChoiceHotels' Points+Cash yet: Will two Points+Cash stays earn the 8,000 in the stay-twice-earn-8,000 promotions? Thank you.
No they do not.

Points Plus Cash reward nights do not:
1. Qualify for bonus points offered as part of any other promotion through Choice Hotels. This includes, but is no limited to, national promotions such as Stay Twice, Get a Free Night.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No, but I wish they did for this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you both.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Member

Is Points + Cash dead again? I don't see it offered when I look for domestic hotels.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire

Originally Posted by kurjan
Is Points + Cash dead again? I don't see it offered when I look for domestic hotels.
Wish I could check and tell you, but I can't even log in right now. Choice seems to be having an issue

I can log in now...I suspect they're doing work on the website because points + $ still shows up in the FAQ

Last edited by Cyberian; Nov 17, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: Couldn't log in to Choice
Old May 6, 2019, 3:29 pm

Crazy

With Daily Getaways coming up next week, thought I'd nose around recent haunts to see what dynamic pricing is doing to them right now. The first one I tried was the Quality Inn in Santa Barbara. (I had many stays there at 6,000+$45, during the winter of course.) At this moment, next Monday-Tuesday (5/13-14) the Net VIP revenue rate is $94. Its Points Plus Cash rate is 6,000 + $143. The Ventura Rodeway's Net VIP is $63, and Points Plus Cash is 6,000 + $45, which haven't budged much from the winter nadir. I would note that the Cash+Points penny fell my way at a couple of Ascends over the winter, each at 6,000 + $45. I snapped them up, and wondered if it were because they didn't know the game yet, or if it were because they were "still in the process of becoming". (Off topic: My Ascend samples were still very much in the process of becoming.)

An invite: Have you seen any crazy Points Plus Cash lately (not following the strict points-per-$ logic cited in the thread)? I'll bump it again in a while, but this thread can be a place to list such.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:34 pm

With Daily Getaways coming up next week, thought I'd nose around recent haunts to see what dynamic pricing is doing to them right now. The first one I tried was the Quality Inn in Santa Barbara. (I had many stays there at 6,000+$45, during the winter of course.) At this moment, next Monday-Tuesday (5/13-14) the Net VIP revenue rate is $94. Its Points Plus Cash rate is 6,000 + $143. The Ventura Rodeway's Net VIP is $63, and Points Plus Cash is 6,000 + $45, which haven't budged much from the winter nadir. I would note that the Cash+Points penny fell my way at a couple of Ascends over the winter, each at 6,000 + $45. I snapped them up, and wondered if it were because they didn't know the game yet, or if it were because they were "still in the process of becoming". (Off topic: My Ascend samples were still very much in the process of becoming.)

An invite: Have you seen any crazy Points Plus Cash lately (not following the strict points-per-$ logic cited in the thread)? I'll bump it again in a while, but this thread can be a place to list such.
Didn't see anything unusual lately.

Last edited by klanfa; May 6, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:24 am
Suspended

Points+Cash has been devalued. It's now $16 per set of 2k points, where previously it was $15 per set of 2k points.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 6:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Points+Cash has been devalued. It's now $16 per set of 2k points, where previously it was $15 per set of 2k points.
Over the years Choice has repeatedly shown casual indifference to the rules of fair play.

Providing some advance notice of this minor devaluation would have cost Choice almost nothing. Yet even that tiny cost was worth more to Choice than playing fair with customers.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
Over the years Choice has repeatedly shown casual indifference to the rules of fair play.

Providing some advance notice of this minor devaluation would have cost Choice almost nothing. Yet even that tiny cost was worth more to Choice than playing fair with customers.
I don't get why they would push in a no-advance notice devaluation -- especially of this sort since it would have cost Choice almost nothing indeed. Maybe they are just being sloppy/lazy/distracted.

I am definitely a critic of these no-advance-notice devaluations, just as I am a critic of the devaluations of other sorts too.

I've been able to milk the Choice US program so much over the years -- continuing to this day -- that whatever devaluations Choice has put in have hit me as being marginal devaluations and as being so much more minor than the devaluations that have come my way from the Best Western, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/Starwood, Radisson and Wyndham programs over the course of my time using these programs. This devaluation in the cash+points aspect of the program is minor but the failure to provide notice in advance and devaluing the points during this time -- with a pandemic having brought a major decline in travel demand -- does say something about what this program and some other programs think about their customers at this time.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Given the increased cost of points gotten/paid for via cash+points, program participants may save money to make standalone purchases of points directly during point sale promotions like the current one.
sdsearch and synergistic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.