Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Points Plus Cash Alive Again! (was: End of Points Plus Cash program ?)

Points Plus Cash Alive Again! (was: End of Points Plus Cash program ?)

Old May 31, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What kind of rates are you using? Many of us are using what used be called SOS (Special Organization Savings) rates, and is now called Preferred Customer Rate, which gives even greater savings than AAA or AARP (if you qualify for either of those). And many people have found an SOS rate code just by googling it.

Just last week I stayed at a Quality in Orange County CA at a $63 Preferred Customer Rate before tax, about $71 with tax. Though that was unusual, that hotel often have $71 Preferred Customer Rate before tax, about $79 after tax.

If I wanted to stay at a "just OK" EconoLodge, there's one that's routinely $59 before tax in the area.

But like I said, to me it seems like using "do 2 separate one-night stays, get 8000 points for it" is still worth it even with $70 before tax or $80 before tax (at least in places that don't have exorbitant taxes plus local fees, like Anaheim locations too close to Disneyland can).
5-10% less than AAA rates is usually the best I seem to find with Choice in rather rural areas. Still, it rarely ends up being less than $70/night inclusive of tax for me. Doing 2 such one-night stays for $140+ (and that's lower than it ends up being for me) of Choice hotel stays for 8,000 Choice points is less ideal for me than using CP Points+Cash to get 8,000 points for $60. Also, my time is rather valuable -- no jokes about my time on FT -- and it's not natural for me to want to stay at a variety of cheap US Choice properties for a single-night stay when I'd rather use my time to stay elsewhere (and often outside of the US at that).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:26 am

Of course, I've not tried to purchase points before and now that I need a couple thousand points to top off for an award night this option is gone. I ended up just straight buying the points I needed yesterday and they still haven't posted. It said it can take up to 48 hours for purchased points to post, does it usually take that entire time?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lyssa
Of course, I've not tried to purchase points before and now that I need a couple thousand points to top off for an award night this option is gone. I ended up just straight buying the points I needed yesterday and they still haven't posted. It said it can take up to 48 hours for purchased points to post, does it usually take that entire time?
I've sometimes seen it take c 48 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've sometimes seen it take c 48 hours.
Ugh, okay thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What kind of rates are you using? Many of us are using what used be called SOS (Special Organization Savings) rates, and is now called Preferred Customer Rate, which gives even greater savings than AAA or AARP (if you qualify for either of those). And many people have found an SOS rate code just by googling it.

Just last week I stayed at a Quality in Orange County CA at a $63 Preferred Customer Rate before tax, about $71 with tax. Though that was unusual, that hotel often have $71 Preferred Customer Rate before tax, about $79 after tax.

If I wanted to stay at a "just OK" EconoLodge, there's one that's routinely $59 before tax in the area.

But like I said, to me it seems like using "do 2 separate one-night stays, get 8000 points for it" is still worth it even with $70 before tax or $80 before tax (at least in places that don't have exorbitant taxes plus local fees, like Anaheim locations too close to Disneyland can).
You still earn points on the SOS rates, correct?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:02 am
Suspended

Yes..
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. I wouldn't be using them if I didn't. I only stay at Choice (on paid rates) during points promos such as "stay 2 times, earn 8000 points".

The only question would be if the SOS rate lowered the rate below $40, whereas with any other rate it would be above $40. (Per another thread, rates below $40 officially don't earn points, but in actuality they often do.)
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
10 days into the issue, and it hasn't been resolved. Really missing points for a long stay, and buying the conventional way $11/1000 is cost-prohibitive...

Any insights?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iggyray
10 days into the issue, and it hasn't been resolved. Really missing points for a long stay, and buying the conventional way $11/1000 is cost-prohibitive...

Any insights?
Try to do points+cash over the phone. Not sure how that attempt would work out currently, but if the issue really is just about the website, then this should work over the phone.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Try to do points+cash over the phone. Not sure how that attempt would work out currently, but if the issue really is just about the website, then this should work over the phone.
Nope, they confirmed they are unable to book. They offered to make a regular reservation and THEN convert to points+cash WHEN the option becomes available again.
Which is dumb as when the option is available again, I should be able to book it myself and not to commit now, right?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iggyray
Nope, they confirmed they are unable to book. They offered to make a regular reservation and THEN convert to points+cash WHEN the option becomes available again.
Which is dumb as when the option is available again, I should be able to book it myself and not to commit now, right?
They claimed it was an issue with the website. Apparently it's not just that.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:00 am

This is still unavailable?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tom_MN
This is still unavailable?
It's dead, Jim. Alternatively:

Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
It's dead, Jim.
It’s alive. Or at least it’s resuscitated, and it ain’t a zombie.

A few days ago, it wasn’t possible to book cash+points, but now it’s back to showing via Choice online booking channels when looking for reward bookings.

10k points/night hotels are currently marketed as (6k+$30) per night.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold

It’s alive. Or at least it’s resuscitated, and it ain’t a zombie.

A few days ago, it wasn’t possible to book cash+points, but now it’s back to showing via Choice online booking channels when looking for reward bookings.

10k points/night hotels are currently marketed as (6k+$30) per night.
Thanks, I am off to look as last night that still wasnt an option!

ETA:
FINALLY!! thanks for the heads uP!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.