FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   Daily Getaways (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1839262-daily-getaways.html)

Dadofsix Apr 28, 2017 11:30 am

Frustrating....I kept refreshing 5 browsers and was able to get only one 20k package and one 32k package. I guess better than nothing. And better than last year when I was shut out entirely due to a credit card billing address or CID/CSC code issue (which I still don't fully understand) which caused my cc authorization to fail.

lyst Apr 28, 2017 11:32 am

I got one of the 36k about 5 minutes after, just kept trying until it must of timed out on someone. I thought they'd be easier this year because they don't count for SW companion pass.

Rebelyell Apr 28, 2017 11:36 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 28241605)
I got 2 of the 32k "Comfort Suites" packages several seconds after the hour, but the 40k packages were gone almost immediately.

Packages on hold do time out and go back on sale so you can often get one of those if you are one of the few still clicking like crazy then. I once got a rare large Hyatt package that way almost 30 minutes after the hour.

Like you the first button I pressed was the 40k button, and I pressed it right on the second and was told "try again." I then moved to another browser window and was able to buy two of the 32k packages as well as two of the 20k packages. Both of these come in closer to 4.5 cents per point instead of four cents, but still a good deal. So I got a total of 112,000 points this year.

Last year I lucked out and was able to buy the maximum of eight packages for a total of 264,000 points. That was my best ever, and I doubt I'll ever be able to repeat it. I have about 72,000 points in my account, so my purchase takes me close to 200,000. That's good for some good hotel values in Europe.

iahphx Apr 28, 2017 11:47 am

Certainly as hard as ever to win. I suspected that would be the case, when even the Alamo certs went fast. The Choice points are less valuable than before, but more people are now familiar with the promo so there are more potential entrants. So I guess the demand balances out, or perhaps even increases.

With the help of my daughter, and some luck (getting 2 "rebounds"), I got 7 of the 8 possible prizes (I guess you could have also tried to get points for a second Choice member account, but it's hard enough to win for one account!). It's good we were successful, because I've had the misfortune to be on airplanes the past 2 years during the sale, and I was almost out of points. It's really hard to know how fast I'll burn through these -- there are still good redemptions, but they're fewer in number -- but I'm thinking I've got 2 years worth of points now.

EDIT: I'm still brainwashed from the old days when you had to use an AMEX card to get 10% off, so I instinctively used my SPG card. Daily Getaways wouldn't happen to code as a bonus category "travel" purchase with any of the other cards, would it?

GUWonder Apr 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by lyst (Post 28241670)
I got one of the 36k about 5 minutes after, just kept trying until it must of timed out on someone. I thought they'd be easier this year because they don't count for SW companion pass.

It seemed like there were fewer total packages for sale this year than last year? Can anyone check that out?

GUWonder Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 28241741)
C

EDIT: I'm still brainwashed from the old days when you had to use an AMEX card to get 10% off, so I instinctively used my SPG card. Daily Getaways wouldn't happen to code as a bonus category "travel" purchase with any of the other cards, would it?

It does code as travel for Chase, so 3x points on the Chase Reserve.

miadukes Apr 28, 2017 12:34 pm

I snagged 2 of the 40k packages, 2 of the 32k packages and 1 20k package for my account and then 1 20k package for b/f account. All but on 20k were all on the first try after it went live.
The other 20k was after I got done purchasing the others and then I actually got and lost one 20k due to my credit card.

All in alll I got 184k points for $764 which the way we redeem will give us 23 nights at 8k each for about $33 a night. This is the best promo ever for our needs and I haven't paid for a room for the last year (although I now TECHNICALLY i paid for points but you guys know what I mean)

GUWonder Apr 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 28241963)
I snagged 2 of the 40k packages, 2 of the 32k packages and 1 20k package for my account and then 1 20k package for b/f account. All but on 20k were all on the first try after it went live.
The other 20k was after I got done purchasing the others and then I actually got and lost one 20k due to my credit card.

All in alll I got 184k points for $764 which the way we redeem will give us 23 nights at 8k each for about $33 a night. This is the best promo ever for our needs and I haven't paid for a room for the last year (although I now TECHNICALLY i paid for points but you guys know what I mean)

Even at $66/night, it's probably still not bad. For that, I would just do the cash+points& refund game since that nets 2000 points/$15. And I minimize the odds of having to lock up money with Choice and deal with devaluations or availability issues.

Compared to even this time last year, I'm finding a lot less availability at Nordic Choice properties using these Choice US points than I used to encounter. That's a warning sign, since a lot of that problem is rooted in a further crackdown on what kind of room types are available using points.

amkao Apr 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Does anyone have experience from years' past regarding how fast it takes for these points to post? ToC says up to 10 business days...is it really that long? Desperately need these points for a trip coming up second week of May!

lougord99 Apr 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by amkao (Post 28245985)
Does anyone have experience from years' past regarding how fast it takes for these points to post? ToC says up to 10 business days...is it really that long? Desperately need these points for a trip coming up second week of May!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...etaways-3.html

lwildernorva May 1, 2017 1:34 pm

I ended up with 2 x 20K and 1 x 36K. That was fine with me because I was aiming for between 70-80K points. Got the 20K packages immediately, but almost blew it by also immediately going after the Cambria package--that was locked up tight a second after the promo began. Then kept trying until the 36K package dropped to me.

Orlando Christmas to New Year's/spring break is generally where I use these points, and I find enough decent 6-10K redemptions there that I'll cover my lodging for 7-8 nights for about $325. Adding in any 8K promos gives me a decent reserve of points, but I'm not getting 76K points off of $325 in hotel spend that way.

miadukes May 1, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm hoping they post as fast as last year and have been checking me account often today LOL

Dadofsix May 5, 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 28253217)
I'm hoping they post as fast as last year and have been checking me account often today LOL

Did anybody have their points post yet? Maybe 2016 was a fluke, as I believe they posted after only a couple days last year.

miadukes May 5, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Dadofsix (Post 28272584)
Did anybody have their points post yet? Maybe 2016 was a fluke, as I believe they posted after only a couple days last year.

I check about 10 times a day and as of 4 minutes ago, nothing yet.

zboub345 May 5, 2017 1:34 pm

still nothing here...