Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Are Nordic Choice program elites eligible for perks on Choice program award nights?

Are Nordic Choice program elites eligible for perks on Choice program award nights?

Old Apr 4, 17, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

I have no status with US based "Choice Hotels" but I am Platinum with "Nordic Choice". I used "Choice Hotels" points to book an upcoming stay at a "Nordic Choice" property in Scandinavia.

My question is - can I add my "Nordic Choice" elite status info to this award reservation and receive my "Nordic Choice" elite benefits?
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mster View Post
I have no status with US based "Choice Hotels" but I am Platinum with "Nordic Choice". I used "Choice Hotels" points to book an upcoming stay at a "Nordic Choice" property in Scandinavia.

My question is - can I add my "Nordic Choice" elite status info to this award reservation and receive my "Nordic Choice" elite benefits?
Just show the Nordic Choice hotel's front desk staff your Nordic Choice Platinum card, and they are able to grant the benefits that way.

If you have a lot of Nordic Choice points in your Nordic Choice account, if they try to enter your Nordic Choice number into the reservation and don't know what they are doing, then they can make mistakes that take more time to fix. Sort of like the times when they've billed my bank cards for the room despite the room being booked as an award stay -- the kind of mistake that takes more time to fix than it does to avoid it.
Old Apr 5, 17, 3:06 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

You can apply for status match by simply emailing [email protected] with the following information:

Full Name
Choice Privileges Member Number
Proof of Elite status in other hotel program such as a screenshot or copy of your other program's loyalty card (with expiration date) OR, screenshot or copy of other program's current statement or account status page.
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels View Post
You can apply for status match by simply emailing [email protected] with the following information:

Full Name
Choice Privileges Member Number
Proof of Elite status in other hotel program such as a screenshot or copy of your other program's loyalty card (with expiration date) OR, screenshot or copy of other program's current statement or account status page.
But Choice Privileges members, no matter what status, don't officially get any in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice properties, do they? (Nordic Choice is a program that's separate from Choice Privileges. Choice Privileges members can redeem at Nordic Choice, but they can't earn at Nordic Choice.)

So I don't see how a status match would help if the OP is staying at Nordic Choice properties (booked with Choice Priveleges points).
Old Apr 6, 17, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
But Choice Privileges members, no matter what status, don't officially get any in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice properties, do they? (Nordic Choice is a program that's separate from Choice Privileges. Choice Privileges members can redeem at Nordic Choice, but they can't earn at Nordic Choice.)

So I don't see how a status match would help if the OP is staying at Nordic Choice properties (booked with Choice Priveleges points).
Choice Privileges members do officially get some in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice properties if they have Nordic Choice Club elite status. Absent having Nordic Choice Club status, the in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice hotels seem to be unofficial or non-existent for those who are Choice Privileges elites, so indeed a status match doesn't seem to be all that useful for this circumstance.

Nordic Choice Club members can earn points at US Choice properties, but US Choice Privileges members can't earn points at Nordic Choice properties despite being able to earn Choice Privileges status from redeeeming Choice Privilege points at Nordic Choice properties. Oh, what a tangled web has been weaved.
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Yes, elite status with "Choice Hotels" is effectively of zero value at "Nordic Choice" properties. Even if Choice Hotels benefits were consistently applied similar status with Nordic Choice offers substantially better benefits. Guaranteed upgrades, restaurant vouchers, gym access (usually an extra charge), and a free piece of laundry.

Anyone have a suggestion beyond booking via Choice Hotels and then just showing my Nordic Choice status card on arrival? This method works for most benefits, but you lose the chance to have a room upgrade assigned prior to checkin / end up with significantly slimmer chances of an upgrade.
Old Jul 23, 18, 2:27 am
Original Poster

similar status with Nordic Choice offers substantially better benefits. Guaranteed upgrades, restaurant vouchers, gym access (usually an extra charge), and a free piece of laundry.

Anyone have a suggestion beyond booking via Choice Hotels and then just showing my Nordic Choice status card on arrival? This method works for most benefits, but you lose the chance to have a room upgrade assigned prior to checkin / end up with significantly slimmer chances of an upgrade.
Anyone added their Nordic Choice elite number to a Choice Privileges award booking recently? I have a reservation coming up and would like to add my number prior to arrival (to increase chance of Platinum upgrade), but am concerned about creating problems with the reservation mentioned by other posters in this thread.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:56 am

Something has changed in recent weeks. While my Choice (US) bookings still credit toward my Nordic Choice Club account to get points, they no longer seem to credit toward my Nordic Choice Club night count toward elite status in that program too.

There seems to have been some kind of programming change on the Nordic Choice Hotels side that has throttled that opportunity.
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Something has changed in recent weeks. While my Choice (US) bookings still credit toward my Nordic Choice Club account to get points, they no longer seem to credit toward my Nordic Choice Club night count toward elite status in that program too.

There seems to have been some kind of programming change on the Nordic Choice Hotels side that has throttled that opportunity.
Correction: they are still counting toward my NCC elite status night count too, but the app stay counter is off while the points counter is working there. But when they send the emails with the night stay counter, it does show the number of nights in the way it has always. Not sure what all to make of this yet, but I do know I want to keep getting my award night stays to count toward my status in the US Choice program and in the Nordic Choice club program for as long as possible.

On my last three Choice US award bookings for Nordic Choice Hotels, I have shown my Nordic Choice Club Platinum card at check-in where they then swipe my card and add the number to my record and gotten all the applicable benefits of the NCC Platinum status. And for each of these three stays, I have been upgraded to 500+ square feet suites. That too on nights when the hotels were sold out.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 19 at 7:49 am