FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   Are Nordic Choice program elites eligible for perks on Choice program award nights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1834646-nordic-choice-program-elites-eligible-perks-choice-program-award-nights.html)

mster Apr 4, 2017 10:13 pm

Are Nordic Choice program elites eligible for perks on Choice program award nights?

I have no status with US based "Choice Hotels" but I am Platinum with "Nordic Choice". I used "Choice Hotels" points to book an upcoming stay at a "Nordic Choice" property in Scandinavia.

My question is - can I add my "Nordic Choice" elite status info to this award reservation and receive my "Nordic Choice" elite benefits?

GUWonder Apr 5, 2017 4:44 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 28131021)
I have no status with US based "Choice Hotels" but I am Platinum with "Nordic Choice". I used "Choice Hotels" points to book an upcoming stay at a "Nordic Choice" property in Scandinavia.

My question is - can I add my "Nordic Choice" elite status info to this award reservation and receive my "Nordic Choice" elite benefits?

Just show the Nordic Choice hotel's front desk staff your Nordic Choice Platinum card, and they are able to grant the benefits that way.

If you have a lot of Nordic Choice points in your Nordic Choice account, if they try to enter your Nordic Choice number into the reservation and don't know what they are doing, then they can make mistakes that take more time to fix. Sort of like the times when they've billed my bank cards for the room despite the room being booked as an award stay -- the kind of mistake that takes more time to fix than it does to avoid it.

ChoiceHotels Apr 5, 2017 3:06 pm

You can apply for status match by simply emailing [email protected] with the following information:

Full Name
Choice Privileges Member Number
Proof of Elite status in other hotel program such as a screenshot or copy of your other program's loyalty card (with expiration date) OR, screenshot or copy of other program's current statement or account status page.

sdsearch Apr 5, 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels (Post 28134534)
You can apply for status match by simply emailing [email protected] with the following information:

Full Name
Choice Privileges Member Number
Proof of Elite status in other hotel program such as a screenshot or copy of your other program's loyalty card (with expiration date) OR, screenshot or copy of other program's current statement or account status page.

But Choice Privileges members, no matter what status, don't officially get any in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice properties, do they? (Nordic Choice is a program that's separate from Choice Privileges. Choice Privileges members can redeem at Nordic Choice, but they can't earn at Nordic Choice.)

So I don't see how a status match would help if the OP is staying at Nordic Choice properties (booked with Choice Priveleges points).

GUWonder Apr 6, 2017 4:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 28135040)
But Choice Privileges members, no matter what status, don't officially get any in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice properties, do they? (Nordic Choice is a program that's separate from Choice Privileges. Choice Privileges members can redeem at Nordic Choice, but they can't earn at Nordic Choice.)

So I don't see how a status match would help if the OP is staying at Nordic Choice properties (booked with Choice Priveleges points).

Choice Privileges members do officially get some in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice properties if they have Nordic Choice Club elite status. Absent having Nordic Choice Club status, the in-hotel benefits at Nordic Choice hotels seem to be unofficial or non-existent for those who are Choice Privileges elites, so indeed a status match doesn't seem to be all that useful for this circumstance.

Nordic Choice Club members can earn points at US Choice properties, but US Choice Privileges members can't earn points at Nordic Choice properties despite being able to earn Choice Privileges status from redeeeming Choice Privilege points at Nordic Choice properties. Oh, what a tangled web has been weaved. :D

mster Apr 11, 2017 3:30 am

Yes, elite status with "Choice Hotels" is effectively of zero value at "Nordic Choice" properties. Even if Choice Hotels benefits were consistently applied similar status with Nordic Choice offers substantially better benefits. Guaranteed upgrades, restaurant vouchers, gym access (usually an extra charge), and a free piece of laundry.

Anyone have a suggestion beyond booking via Choice Hotels and then just showing my Nordic Choice status card on arrival? This method works for most benefits, but you lose the chance to have a room upgrade assigned prior to checkin / end up with significantly slimmer chances of an upgrade.

mster Jul 23, 2018 2:27 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 28159955)
similar status with Nordic Choice offers substantially better benefits. Guaranteed upgrades, restaurant vouchers, gym access (usually an extra charge), and a free piece of laundry.

Anyone have a suggestion beyond booking via Choice Hotels and then just showing my Nordic Choice status card on arrival? This method works for most benefits, but you lose the chance to have a room upgrade assigned prior to checkin / end up with significantly slimmer chances of an upgrade.

Anyone added their Nordic Choice elite number to a Choice Privileges award booking recently? I have a reservation coming up and would like to add my number prior to arrival (to increase chance of Platinum upgrade), but am concerned about creating problems with the reservation mentioned by other posters in this thread.

GUWonder Aug 12, 2019 4:56 am

Something has changed in recent weeks. While my Choice (US) bookings still credit toward my Nordic Choice Club account to get points, they no longer seem to credit toward my Nordic Choice Club night count toward elite status in that program too.

There seems to have been some kind of programming change on the Nordic Choice Hotels side that has throttled that opportunity.

GUWonder Aug 13, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31406504)
Something has changed in recent weeks. While my Choice (US) bookings still credit toward my Nordic Choice Club account to get points, they no longer seem to credit toward my Nordic Choice Club night count toward elite status in that program too.

There seems to have been some kind of programming change on the Nordic Choice Hotels side that has throttled that opportunity.

Correction: they are still counting toward my NCC elite status night count too, but the app stay counter is off while the points counter is working there. But when they send the emails with the night stay counter, it does show the number of nights in the way it has always. Not sure what all to make of this yet, but I do know I want to keep getting my award night stays to count toward my status in the US Choice program and in the Nordic Choice club program for as long as possible.

On my last three Choice US award bookings for Nordic Choice Hotels, I have shown my Nordic Choice Club Platinum card at check-in — where they then swipe my card and add the number to my record — and gotten all the applicable benefits of the NCC Platinum status. And for each of these three stays, I have been upgraded to 500+ square feet suites. That too on nights when the hotels were sold out.

GUWonder Mar 23, 2020 5:19 am

Nordic Choice Club elites staying at Nordic Choice Hotels on stays booked with US Choice program points can get all the Nordic Choice Club elite benefits upon showing their Nordic Choice Club elite status card and having the NCC number loaded into the booking by the Nordic Choice Hotel staff.

Given how this is done most times, the Nordic Choice Hotel properties on award bookings too will even generally add to to the count on the NCC elite status counters for acquiring/retaining NCC elite status.

At least one person has NCC lifetime elite status because of this too.

By the way, Nordic Choice Hotels is giving all its program members a 12 month extension to the status level held in February 2020. The extension is due to the novel coronavirus pandemic situation disrupting travels.

ChoiceHotels Apr 1, 2020 4:25 pm

We understand you are a member of the Nordic Choice Club. For more details on earning those benefits, we suggest reaching out here: [email protected]. Thank you for your time and patronage. *Julio

mster Apr 5, 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 32221588)
Nordic Choice Hotels is giving all its program members a 12 month extension to the status level held in February 2020. The extension is due to the novel coronavirus pandemic situation disrupting travels.

Is this a 12 month extension from February 2020 until February 2021 or a 12 month extension beyond the end of your "Current period"? Is this information posted anywhere?

ChoiceHotels Apr 5, 2020 8:47 pm

We can understand your disappointment with some of the Rules and Regulations of the Choice Privileges program. For further assistance, we encourage you to e-mail at [email protected], one of our representatives will be more than glad to assist you and follow up on your case. We appreciate the opportunity you are giving us to look more into this for you. Regards, Diana.

GUWonder Apr 5, 2020 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 32267722)
Is this a 12 month extension from February 2020 until February 2021 or a 12 month extension beyond the end of your "Current period"? Is this information posted anywhere?

“In light of the situation we are in, all Nordic Choice Club members will retain their current membership level for an extra 12 months. This is retroactive from February 2020, and lasts until January 2021. This means you will not be downgraded during your next member period! Of course, you will still have the opportunity to achieve a higher membership level during this period.”

That was the language included in emails sent out by the program.

ChoiceHotels Apr 6, 2020 10:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 32267919)
“In light of the situation we are in, all Nordic Choice Club members will retain their current membership level for an extra 12 months. This is retroactive from February 2020, and lasts until January 2021. This means you will not be downgraded during your next member period! Of course, you will still have the opportunity to achieve a higher membership level during this period.”

That was the language included in emails sent out by the program.

Since the Nordic Choice Club is a different affiliation from the Choice Privileges program in the US, I urge you to contact them to confirm the language in their email. Although from what it sounds like, your membership status will extend to January 2021 instead of downgrading in 2020. This gives you plenty more chances to upgrade your membership in the same year as you begin traveling when the time is right. I hope that we can welcome you through our doors again. Please stay safe and take care. *Julio