Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Choice points expire after 18 months of inactivity. The Choice FAQ lists ways to extend the expiration date:Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date but are confirmed as working.
  • Dining "Eat and Earn" (confirmed working)
  • e-Rewards (confirmed)
  • Transfer from Amex Membership Rewards to Choice (confirmed working 3/2023, despite terms)
  • Transfer from Citi Thank You points to Choice (confirmed working)
Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date. Unknown if they actually work. Please post if you find otherwise:
  • Car rental: Avis or Budget
  • Cruise booking
  • Golf equipment rental, tee times, and apps
  • Transfer from Capital One points to Choice (probably works but unconfirmed)
  • Transfer from Radisson Americas to Choice?
  • Vinesse
Does not work, confirmed:
  • Redeeming a cash+points stay and then cancelling to effectively "buy" points
  • Choice Shopping Mall, 1800Baskets, 1800Flowers, and Quicken Loans programs are discontinued
Other notes:
  • You can redeem points for an award dated past your points expiration. If you cancel though, expect to lose points.
  • Radisson Americas has a 24-month expiration policy.
  • Choice earning page
Print Wikipost

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Magazine subscription - expected 30 days for posting

Choice reps have indicated that magazine subscriptions are expected to take 30 days to post to accounts. Haven't yet reached that mark with my redemption (not posted yet at 10 day mark), and will update when it posts as a data point. Minimum price at the moment seems to be 600 points.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:48 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by jigri2003
Choice reps have indicated that magazine subscriptions are expected to take 30 days to post to accounts. Haven't yet reached that mark with my redemption (not posted yet at 10 day mark), and will update when it posts as a data point. Minimum price at the moment seems to be 600 points.
Please accept our apologies for the delayed response. We'll be happy to help you if you still need our assistance with your Magazine Subscription, please send us a private message with your member number, full name, phone number, email, mailing address, and the date of the redemption. -Jendy
Old May 12, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
Just came across this thread. All of my points expired in January and I called in Feb and was basically told to get lost but that I could sign up for a credit card and earn some points that way. I wasn't even offered half of the points back.
We sincerely apologize for the delayed response. We'd love to review your case to see what can be done to help you. When time allows, please send us a private message with your account information. Please include your member number, phone number, name, email, and mailing address. We hope to hear more from you. -Jendy
Old May 14, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
We sincerely apologize for the delayed response. We'd love to review your case to see what can be done to help you. When time allows, please send us a private message with your account information. Please include your member number, phone number, name, email, and mailing address. We hope to hear more from you. -Jendy
Thank you very much. For anyone reading, Choice returned my expired points after I bought a small number to create some account activity.
Old May 14, 2021, 1:49 pm

You're welcome! Our inbox is always available if anything else comes up. Have an excellent day! -Grettel
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:12 am

This may be tangential to the topic, but if I transfer Amex points to avoid expiration and bring the balance over 6000, are there properties where 6000 points are good for a points +cash stay? When I login, I'm told I don't have enough points to quote a points+cash amount; does that change if I'm over 6000?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:08 am

Good morning! Please know, Points Plus Cash allows you to book a room by combining 6,000 points that you already have plus purchasing the remaining difference to book the room. Nevertheless, we would like to check your account and make sure of the number of points you have. To do so, can you please send us a private message with your full name, member number, mailing address, and email? We will be waiting for your reply. -Liz.

Originally Posted by rove312
This may be tangential to the topic, but if I transfer Amex points to avoid expiration and bring the balance over 6000, are there properties where 6000 points are good for a points +cash stay? When I login, I'm told I don't have enough points to quote a points+cash amount; does that change if I'm over 6000?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rove312
Yes, there are some 8000 point hotel nights, so cash+6k points works. And if you make such a booking that can be cancelled without penalty, a timely cancellation would get 8k points deposited into your account and count as activity to have your expiration period extended for the points in your account.
Firewind likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:58 am

Hello, there! Thank you so much for explaining how our Points Plus Cash (PPC) works. Our team is always here if you need assistance. Take care, Liz.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, there are some 8000 point hotel nights, so cash+6k points works. And if you make such a booking that can be cancelled without penalty, a timely cancellation would get 8k points deposited into your account and count as activity to have your expiration period extended for the points in your account.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Received an email from Choice in May: "Psst...Friendly reminder: Don't let your points expire! ...You have xxx,xxx points which will be forfeited on 07/01/2021. But, they don't have to!..."
So I booked a points + cash night for the sole purpose of keeping them alive, intending to follow the tips of GUWonder et al (thank you!).
THEN I see on another Choice web page that points and status expiries are paused until 12/31/21 for elite members. Oh well. It's all good. Just need to complete the cycle.
BTW: I see widespread availability at 6,000 pts + $16 among lower-end properties at the moment.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by Firewind; Jun 4, 2021 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
Received an email from Choice in May: "Psst...Friendly reminder: Don't let your points expire! ...You have xxx,xxx points which will be forfeited on 07/01/2021. But, they don't have to!..."
So I booked a points + cash night for the sole purpose of keeping them alive, intending to follow the tips of GUWonder et al (thank you!).
THEN I see on another Choice web page that points and status expiries are paused until 12/31/21 for elite members. Oh well. It's all good. Just need to complete the cycle.
BTW: I see widespread availability at 6,000 pts + $16 among lower-end properties at the moment.
Hi, there! Thank you for sharing your experience. We're glad to confirm that for Elite members, points forfeiture will remain paused through December 31, 2021. This update will allow Choice Privilege members more time to redeem points and achieve greater flexibility when planning future travel. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach us at any time through a private message. Regards, Zaira.
GUWonder and Firewind like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: some
Hi,
so it seems that this helpful reminder was not sent to everyone - the 140k Points I had have disappeared. Any chance to get those re-instated?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by Scheitan
Hi,
so it seems that this helpful reminder was not sent to everyone - the 140k Points I had have disappeared. Any chance to get those re-instated?
I can confirm that I also didn't receive any reminder emails about the points expiring and noticed my points have disappeared this month. This is really disappointing that there has been very little communication from Choice with regards to how this is being handled during Covid and no advance warnings or notice have been given to allow us a chance to try and extend the expiry.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by turbov6
I can confirm that I also didn't receive any reminder emails about the points expiring and noticed my points have disappeared this month. This is really disappointing that there has been very little communication from Choice with regards to how this is being handled during Covid and no advance warnings or notice have been given to allow us a chance to try and extend the expiry.
Checked my account today, points apparently expired August 01/21. My account still shows my 28,115 points; however, a dashboard shows 0 points. No notice that points would expire. Contacted Choice Hotels, too bad, so sad. Referred to T & C, expiry after 18 months of no activity. I did remind them there is still a pandemic and little travel. I did cancel existing Choice Hotels reservations and replied to Choice Hotels of their harshness.

update
Thanks to turbov6, I called 1-888-770-6800 and the choice was buy 1,000 points for $12.10 and get back 50% of points or stay at a property in the next month and then call back and try to get back points sufficient to cover that stay. I talked and balked. Second offer was buy the 1,000 points and get 100% points back. All points back now. The rep. was working from home and was probably contacting someone else for guidance, on and off the phone. It took 60 minutes. GST on the $12.10 for Canadians
turbov6 and thunderdeacon like this.

Last edited by ken_ll; Aug 31, 2021 at 1:06 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:12 am

I guess some earning routes no longer exist. I added a wikipost to help keep track of this.
sdsearch and Firewind like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.