No blackout dates just on paper?

Old Oct 1, 16, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
No blackout dates just on paper?

I am trying to book Quality Inn Elms, Christchurch NZ hotel with points...the hotel shows availability on cash for standard rooms but no availability with points...I am platinum and booking dates are well within the window

is No blackout dates policy just on paper?
Old Oct 3, 16, 4:53 pm

What dates?

There are no blackouts for standard rooms system-wide, although hotels can request specific blackout dates for 'extraordinary events' (think a Times Square hotel on NYE or a hotel near the Super Bowl game). Is something happening in Christchurch when you are going?
Old Oct 3, 16, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
What dates?

There are no blackouts for standard rooms system-wide, although hotels can request specific blackout dates for 'extraordinary events' (think a Times Square hotel on NYE or a hotel near the Super Bowl game). Is something happening in Christchurch when you are going?
26th and 27th nov...does not seem to be any major event
Old Oct 4, 16, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techoin View Post
I am trying to book Quality Inn Elms, Christchurch NZ hotel with points...the hotel shows availability on cash for standard rooms but no availability with points
26th and 27th nov...does not seem to be any major event
What do you mean by standard rooms?

Check Dec 4 (1 night) for paid rates. There's a 1 Queen "standard" room, and then all the other rooms are described as either "superior" or "deluxe".

Now go back and check Nov 26 or 27, and you'll that the 1 Queen "standard" room does not show up, and only those rooms described as either "superior" or "deluxe" show up.

So it sounds like you and that hotel may have a different definition of standard rooms, if you think they have standard rooms for sale with cash on Nov 26 or 27.

On Dec 4, when the hotel shows what it calls a "standard" room, there is indeed award availability, and only for that type of room.

And now, of course, the other question is: What exactly does Choice Privileges mean by standard rooms?

(I had to go to Dec 4, right at the edge of Platinum availability today, to find a date when a "standard" room shows up. I presume they have fairly few of these, and they get eaten up fast.)
Old Oct 6, 16, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
What do you mean by standard rooms?

So it sounds like you and that hotel may have a different definition of standard rooms, if you think they have standard rooms for sale with cash on Nov 26 or 27.

And now, of course, the other question is: What exactly does Choice Privileges mean by standard rooms?
you are right...looks like 'standard' room type is what seems to drive the availability for redemption at this hotel...my definition of standard was king or queen bed room...

there are many other properties I have redeemed points for superior rooms earlier this year so this is confusing

It looks like a way for properties to control the inventory for redemption
Old Oct 6, 16, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you are right...looks like 'standard' room type is what seems to drive the availability for redemption at this hotel...my definition of standard was king or queen bed room...

there are many other properties I have redeemed points for superior rooms earlier this year so this is confusing

It looks like a way for properties to control the inventory for redemption
That's because don't have to limit themselves to standard rooms. Gosh, I've redeemed points for suites, not just "superior" rooms. So some hotels make every single room they have available on points, but Choice doesn't say they have to, so some other hotels only make what they call "standard" rooms available on points.

When you look at that way, that the hotels you had experience with were simply going beyond the minimum, while this Quality in Christchurch is sticking to the minimum, that makes sense now, doesn't it?

In fact, I don't think it should a point of complaint about Choice. There are other programs where chainwide "standard" rooms is all you get (at least at the lowest level of points), no matter what property. I find it very nice that Choice allows a hotel to make every room available for points if it wants to, even if not all Choice hotels do, because that's nearly impossible to find in most other hotel programs.

See here for the opposite of what you found:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...6k-points.html
Old Oct 7, 16, 7:55 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
How many standard rooms

I think it is fair to limit to standard rooms, but that should be a common room type with lots of them...
Some hotels play games and call the broom closet under the stair case "standard" and all others are superior. That type of game is the opposite of a loyalty program and the chains should crack down on those properties...
Old Oct 7, 16, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fyd View Post
I think it is fair to limit to standard rooms, but that should be a common room type with lots of them...
Some hotels play games and call the broom closet under the stair case "standard" and all others are superior. That type of game is the opposite of a loyalty program and the chains should crack down on those properties...
That would be easy enough - just define that 'standard' rooms must make up at least x% of total rooms. If the hotel doesn't have enough to meet that threshold, they get to add 'superior' 'deluxe' 'executive' 'family rooms' etc. until they get there
Old Oct 7, 16, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
When you look at that way, that the hotels you had experience with were simply going beyond the minimum, while this Quality in Christchurch is sticking to the minimum, that makes sense now, doesn't it?
fair enough...but we also need to keep in mind other chains allow booking standard rooms more than a year out...as a plat I am getting 60 days window and its hard to find availability closer if these so called standard rooms are already sold out like in this case
Old Oct 9, 16, 6:02 pm

If you haven't, I would definitely call Choice Privileges reservations and see if they can book the room you want on the phone. I've had 2 of my 3 rewards reservations (including a suite) booked via this method this year. I don't think we can really know if it is an ongoing IT issue that some of us have experienced or true reward limits without calling. In my experience, this line has provided very fast and excellent customer service.

Choice Privileges Reservations: 800-521-2121
Available 24/7

fair enough...but we also need to keep in mind other chains allow booking standard rooms more than a year out...as a plat I am getting 60 days window and its hard to find availability closer if these so called standard rooms are already sold out like in this case

Search this Thread