Promotion, $50 GC for 8000 points

Old Jul 20, 16, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Platinum, CP Gold, IHG Gold
Promotion, $50 GC for 8000 points

CP is running a promotion where you can get a $50 gift card for 8000 points, instead of the normal 16,000 points, if you have 2 qualifying stays during the promotion. I just had my second qualifying stay, and am wondering if I should redeem for a $50 Amazon card, or save the 8k points for a hotel stay.

Does anyone have a sense which way maximizes value, hotel stay or Amazon GC? I realize a lot of times a redemption boils down to personal preference, but my personal preference is to maximize value with these points. I will have stays at Choice Hotels in the future, and I will have Amazon spending in the future. So if I'm going to save more than $50 by using these points at a Choice Hotel, then that's what I'll do. But if the 8k points will save me less than $50 at a future stay, then I'll just go with the GC. Any thoughts on the over/under $50? Thanks. tls
Old Jul 20, 16, 9:17 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Depends what sort of choice hotel you stay at. You can easily get 8,000 point stays that cost $60-$80 dollars and sometimes more. However if you tend to stay at $100 -$150 hotels, you often will do better with the gift card.

However, remember that when you stay on points, you are not paying taxes, so consider the bottom line price with taxes included.

Take a look at some hotels that you might stay at and see what they are charging in points and what a room costs.
Old Jul 20, 16, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Platinum, CP Gold, IHG Gold
Thanks! tls
Old Jul 20, 16, 8:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
And, also remember that the points plus cash option can be very cheap for very expensive locations of each brand, especially during special events or high season. I got a Sleep Inn in Athens, GA during UGA graduation for 6000 points plus $15 for a room that was selling for around $200

Search this Thread