Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Change existing reservation to an award stay?

Old Jun 13, 16, 10:52 am
Original Poster

In general, could I book now to hold my spot at a Choice Hotel and then when the award booking window opens switch it online to an award stay?

In January 2017 I would like to stay at the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North for a pre-cruise night. I really don't want to have to cancel and rebook. I already have an award stay booked at an IHG property (Plan B), but I like this property as it has free airport shuttle AND free Port of Miami Shuttle.
Old Jun 13, 16, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Answer: YES

I decided to do a booking for next week to test this. Already cancelled--lol. Anyway, the answer is Yes, you can modify your reservation from a paid rate to an award booking. But, beware, you might not be able to get the same room type. I originally booked a King, one bedroom suite and had the option to change to a King with a partial room divider or to 2 Queens with a partial room divider with points or cash & points.
Old Jun 13, 16, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Absent your result, I was inclined to express doubt. This doesn't work with most programs because the inventory buckets are usually separate and subject to different dynamics.

But a caution I'd still offer to anyone watching here is: Don't wait until arrival to make changes, even between paid rates. Often the receptionist can't see special rates that we can, and/or isn't facile with the system.

I had an instance in which I asked the front desk person to check a different rate. She checked and inadvertently (?) switched me. It was higher and we couldn't get back to the original one. Fortunately there was the computer in the lobby, and there was no one waiting in line.

Last edited by Firewind; Jun 15, 16 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 11, 16, 6:46 pm

Were you able to do this online? There have been some reports that online award nights have not been working.

Originally Posted by jt58203 View Post
I decided to do a booking for next week to test this. Already cancelled--lol. Anyway, the answer is Yes, you can modify your reservation from a paid rate to an award booking. But, beware, you might not be able to get the same room type. I originally booked a King, one bedroom suite and had the option to change to a King with a partial room divider or to 2 Queens with a partial room divider with points or cash & points.

Search this Thread