Feedback from a road warrior

Old May 18, 16, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Location: BTR; SWA Elite, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Choice Diamond
Programs: Delta, SWA
Choice feedback, from a road warrior

I'm a small business owner with a large territory. I do enough to keep my platinum at Marriott and SPG, but Choice is my main.

Pros of Choice:
-they're rarely sold-out so you can use the app to book once you're 100% sure that's where you're staying. I frequently book from the parking lot.
-Choice app is perhaps the best app in travel, I search a wide area and sort by price then read reviews.
-Great prices. Allows me to travel more often.
-Early check-ins! I love that I can arrive to a city in the morning and check-in before my appointments. SPGs and Marriotts are usually sold out and hate early check-in.
-Awesome promos.
-Properties in small towns, helps me get a feel for the community rather than driving in.

Cons:
- Worst in the world when trying to cancel a reservation. I never book until I'm 100% that's where I'll be staying.
-Many untrained front desk
-The "elite reservation line" is same foreigners who can't do anything as the regular line (dramatic difference from Marriott and SPG platinum desk where calling is a pleasure).
-Many properties try to photocopy my license!! What? That's insulting, invasive, and absurd. Especially for a Diamond member. Worried I'm going to steal your thin towels and wobbly lamps? I always refuse, sometimes I have to leave and book elsewhere. Massive invasation of privacy.
-Some properties see themselves as independent that partners with choice. "Oh you booked thru the Choice site" like its a lower class.
-Never ever offered upgrades. Even if completely empty, hotels place me in the exact room I book, leaving their best rooms vacant. If I ask, they talk about "rate change", the concept is so foreign to them.

My main feedback is: Choice needs to do more for their best customers. Overall I remain satisfied, it's good, but could be great.

Last edited by Fletch; May 18, 16 at 7:39 pm
Old May 18, 16, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Anyone else have any feedback or pros and cons to add?
Old May 18, 16, 12:01 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Cancellations are one of the main negatives for Marriott -not Choice.

Most Choice are same day 4:00pm or 6:00pm cancel and it can easily be done on-line. All marriots are previous day cancel.

Many Choice properties are pretty marginal. I never check Trip advisor for Marriott - I always check Trip Advisor for Choice.

The problem with last minute booking as you do, is that discounted ( AAA or Preferred organization ) rates are sometimes not available last minute.

That said, I stay 75 % Choice, 20% Marriott and 5% other.
Old May 18, 16, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Cancellations are one of the main negatives for Marriott -not Choice.
I find that Marriott's cancelation is extremely flexible if you call the property". I often call after the window and have never had an issue. If they seem hesitant I ask them to move the reservation to next week and they always do it. 15 years as Marriott elite, never an issue getting out of an rsvp.

Meanwhile as Choice:
- I've driven to the wrong quality inn and although everyone involved would like to let me out of the room there is no human that can bypass their system. I had to leave and drive to the other quality.

Another time I had a flight cancelled due to weather, had to buy an airport hotel and fly next day. I called the choice I was going to stay at but they couldn't let me out of room. I had to pay a no-show fee, then make a new reservation arrive the next day where still still did nothing about it. Meanwhile the hotel was nearly empty and I certainly wasn't costing them another customer.

All the more reason to book last minute with choice.

Last edited by Fletch; May 18, 16 at 7:43 pm
Old May 19, 16, 10:23 am

This is probably the local hotel and not chain related. The Quality Inn I frequent had two buildings, majority of the rooms are exterior corridors but they have about 24 rooms in a building with interior corridors.
When this property was a Holiday Inn Express this was the 'executive suite. These rooms have standard bath tub with whirlpool, the sink is in the bathroom, mini-fridge and microwave.
Online these rooms run $10 to $15 more than the exterior corridor rooms.
I stay here at least 2 to 3 times a month reserving the exterior corridor room but they would put me in the interior.
The one time I got what I reserved and there was an issue which at check out was almost ignored, the next stay at check out the manager apologized and said "I usually put you in the upgraded room". Nothing to do with the complaint about a filthy bathroom (another thread). Since then I'm paying for the less expensive room but still get the better room. My arrival is always late 11p or later and the night staff is on. 3/4 of the time at checkout it is the Manager at the front desk, and yah I hate having to go there to get copy of the bill.

FWIW
Old May 19, 16, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Fletch! View Post
... I frequently book from the parking lot ...
+1. "On more than one occasion," as they say...

And another comment I haven't seen on these pages is that they put the lie to the chain that claims, "...the lowest price of any nationwide chain..."

Search this Thread