Up to 40% more points

Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Up to 40% more points

Not sure if this is targeted or public but I got an email telling me that if I bought points I would up get up to 40% bonus on points. I believe it was 10, 20, 30 or 40 depending on points.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not buying from Choice, that's buying through Daily Giveways, which is being discussed here:
It's not targeted, but there's only certain number of points for sale each year, and they can go fast, and once they're sold out you can't buy any more that way until maybe the next year.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's not buying from Choice, that's buying through Daily Giveways, which is being discussed here:
It's not targeted, but there's only certain number of points for sale each year, and they can go fast, and once they're sold out you can't buy any more that way until maybe the next year.
Sorry but that is directly thru choice. My email takes me to choice and you can purchase now not the daily getaways thing.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Up to 40% more points

I received the email also. I'd yet to do the math to see if it was a good deal - or how it compared to the daily getaways price. I figured someone would analysis and post their finding before I got around to doing it myself.

Edited: A quick glance at the numbers would indicate the daily getaways is a better value. Hopefully Choice is participating again.

Last edited by iris30; Mar 11, 2016 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by iris30
I received the email also. I'd yet to do the math to see if it was a good deal - or how it compared to the daily getaways price. I figured someone would analysis and post their finding before I got around to doing it myself.

Edited: A quick glance at the numbers would indicate the daily getaways is a better value. Hopefully Choice is participating again.
Points+cash also (slightly) edges out buying directly through this promo.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I estimated that at $550 for the maximum points if i redeem at the hotel we usually stay at which is 8k a night its about $66 a night when I divide it up. which is not bad but sometimes we do about the same on my corporate rate. so I am going to wait for the daily getaways and compare.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Don't forget that your corporate rate has the usual 10-15% taxes added on and points do not.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Don't forget that your corporate rate has the usual 10-15% taxes added on and points do not.
Good point!!!

The email says the "sale" is until like early to mid april so I figured I'd wait on the daily getaways and go from there.

I'm curious, does anyone know if the Choice hotel cards considers this choice for extra points when bought through them??

I know when I did the points plus cash option my IHG card counted that purchase for the 5x bonus like a stay would.

For me the bonus is good cuz I can get my bang for my buck at a hotel that we typically use so I am giving it serious consideration.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by miadukes
Good point!!!
+1.

And thank you, lougord99.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
I'm curious, does anyone know if the Choice hotel cards considers this choice for extra points when bought through them??

I know when I did the points plus cash option my IHG card counted that purchase for the 5x bonus like a stay would.
Are you referring to the Barclay Choice Visa card?

If so, then I think this previous post excerpt (from bottom of post #2 in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...s-posting.html) answers your question:
Originally Posted by Dadofsix
Also, a couple other things I've noticed:
  • I received 5x points when purchasing points directly on the website (via the points.com portal).
  • I received only 2x points when purchasing points via Points + Cash reservations.
But Daily Getaways points purchases would definitely not qualify for any bonus points with the Barclay Choice Visa card.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadofsix
Are you referring to the Barclay Choice Visa card?

If so, then I think this previous post excerpt (from bottom of post #2 in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...s-posting.html) answers your question:

But Daily Getaways points purchases would definitely not qualify for any bonus points with the Barclay Choice Visa card.
Ah! Thanks! I forgot you had written that! yes I meant just that. So that is kind of good because then my $550 purchase will get me an additional 2750 points so not bad overall.

Thanks dadofsix!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.