Questions: Scandinavia on Points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ijones027
it seems like hurtigruten has a monopoly there
I'm not sure about that, but given the history of the place and the cost of operating there with logistics and more, it sort of lends itself to there being a lot of market concentration when it comes to the more capital intensive side of business operations around the place.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Ijones027
the choice hotel funken in svalbard has availability on it's own website but not on choice website alot of days is that normal?
Nice place - and somewhat pricey! Probably in points too if and when available. Interesting history:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This Svalbard property opened right after WW2 and it was long owned by a Norwegian mining company; that mining company then sold it around 30 years ago to Hurtigruten Svalbard. For some reason it was renamed to its current name around 2018. I know that in the year following -- in 2019 -- that the Hurtigruten cruises had problems with getting Russian approval for trips and so there were some cancellations.
I took hurtigruten many years ago all the way up to Kirkenes and stood by the Russian border. The beauty of pre-invasion, pre-pandemic times.

Next summer nevertheless, I would like to go to Svalbard by way of a United excursionist perk, with the local bonus fare of LYR-OSL-CPH.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:11 pm
Suspended

The Clarion ARN (airport) hotel in Stockholm seems to have pulled all room availability using US Choice points for award nights at this property. Plenty of standard rooms available for regular paid rates but nothing loaded for award nights using US Choice points.

The nearby Comfort at ARN is available using US Choice points without issue.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:05 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Hello, there. We understand your dissatisfaction regarding the hotels' availability, as you expect to use your points at a property of your preference. However, please know our hotels are independently owned and operated, so Choice Hotels, as a franchisor, does not have control over their rooms' inventory. In this instance, they are the ones that set this up and decide whether the rooms will be available to use with points. We hope this helps. Should you have more questions, you can send us a private message with your full name, the hotel's exact address, the arrival date, and your Choice Privileges account. Regards, -Mei

The Clarion ARN (airport) hotel in Stockholm seems to have pulled all room availability using US Choice points for award nights at this property. Plenty of standard rooms available for regular paid rates but nothing loaded for award nights using US Choice points.

The nearby Comfort at ARN is available using US Choice points without issue.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
Hello, there. We understand your dissatisfaction regarding the hotels' availability, as you expect to use your points at a property of your preference. However, please know our hotels are independently owned and operated, so Choice Hotels, as a franchisor, does not have control over their rooms' inventory. In this instance, they are the ones that set this up and decide whether the rooms will be available to use with points. We hope this helps. Should you have more questions, you can send us a private message with your full name, the hotel's exact address, the arrival date, and your Choice Privileges account. Regards, -Mei
If someone at Choice sends the hotel a message saying it seems like the hotel is selling standard rooms but hasn’t loaded the rooms to be available using Choice points, the hotel may look into the matter and update the situation on the hotel’s end.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:00 pm

Hi again, there. We understand the importance of getting the best rates when choosing a hotel and take advantage of your rewards. We'll make sure to send your feedback to the appropriate parties internally for future improvements. Thank you for making us part of our travel plans each time you have an opportunity. We hope to continue welcoming you for more years. Regards, Kathy.

If someone at Choice sends the hotel a message saying it seems like the hotel is selling standard rooms but hasn’t loaded the rooms to be available using Choice points, the hotel may look into the matter and update the situation on the hotel’s end.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Thank you to those who contributed to the solution. The Clarion ARN has again started to make rooms available using US Choice points. And, oh, yes, It can be sweet tout de suite.

Can’t wait to buy more US Choice points and keep riding those good deals for nightly stays, de facto dayroom office use, gym use (although I get that even otherwise at all these hotels with a gym), and convenient included breakfasts and more.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 22, 2022 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by delpiero223
It's been a pretty nice sweet spot for many years. But it would be understandable to raise the cost for some properties, if they receive like $ 70 for award nights instead of regular rates starting at $ 200.

However, just removing them altogether, is unacceptable in my opinion.

At choice hotels, who is in charge of setting award night prices? Can it be done by the property itself or is it set by Choice US corporate?
The point pricing is set by Choice US (corporate). The reimbursement rates that Choice US pays the Nordic Choice properties for award nights have been flat and very sticky for years and years now, and the direct bill rate (to pay money for the award stay) is probably a function of what was set by Nordic Choice rather than by its properties. I am not sure how long that can last given the inflation situation. 605 SEK reimbursement doesn’t go far nowadays. I often get a 125 SEK F&B voucher and more on such stays too.

I had expected that Stordalen’s situation during the pandemic would have lead to a points devaluation sooner than later, but that expectation has fortunately not hit yet.

My main programs in Scandinavia are the Choice and Hyatt ones because the point values are good for me. Don’t see the point of dabbling more with Radisson — which Choice is acquiring in the Americas — nor with diving more into Scandic, Best Western, Marriott and whatever else has a multi-property presence in Scandinavia.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: SK*G, OW S
The point pricing is set by Choice US (corporate). The reimbursement rates that Choice US pays the Nordic Choice properties for award nights have been flat and very sticky for years and years now, and the direct bill rate (to pay money for the award stay) is probably a function of what was set by Nordic Choice rather than by its properties. I am not sure how long that can last given the inflation situation. 605 SEK reimbursement doesn’t go far nowadays. I often get a 125 SEK F&B voucher and more on such stays too.

I had expected that Stordalen’s situation during the pandemic would have lead to a points devaluation sooner than later, but that expectation has fortunately not hit yet.

My main programs in Scandinavia are the Choice and Hyatt ones because the point values are good for me. Don’t see the point of dabbling more with Radisson — which Choice is acquiring in the Americas — nor with diving more into Scandic, Best Western, Marriott and whatever else has a multi-property presence in Scandinavia.
Since the franchisee agreement between Nordic Choice and Choice US was signed in 1994, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was about to expire in 2024. The fact that Nordic Choice is changing its name into Strawberry next year seems to point into that direction https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/b...mes-strawberry

The redemption rates for some hotels are simply amazing. I wish they never changed and this could go on forever. However, as you said, the current inflation will probably accelerate any potential devaluation that sooner or later is going to happen.
GUWonder and delpiero223 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peter1012
Since the franchisee agreement between Nordic Choice and Choice US was signed in 1994, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was about to expire in 2024. The fact that Nordic Choice is changing its name into Strawberry next year seems to point into that direction https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/b...mes-strawberry

The redemption rates for some hotels are simply amazing. I wish they never changed and this could go on forever. However, as you said, the current inflation will probably accelerate any potential devaluation that sooner or later is going to happen.
I too wish this would continue without end as it is, but my favorite deals in this space always inevitably expire or see their value proposition weakened tremendously. But I will milk this Choice situation as much as conveniently possible for as long as I can.

Originally Posted by Nordic Choice Hotels
Right now, it basically means that we will be changing the company name from Nordic Choice Hotels to Strawberry in 2023. So, don’t worry, it won’t affect your membership level, your bookings, the hotel names or hotel chains.

The other boss, CEO Torgeir Silseth, had this to say: “The company is now moving into a new era to meet the future of travel, and for that we need to create an even more attractive loyalty programme with products and offers adapted to the needs of travellers in the future……”
How long it remains the case that this won’t affect the hotel chains and hotel names in his business is to be seen.

Nordic Choice Club is already a very attractive loyalty program. Being Platinum in it is great for me: with the 6pm guaranteed checkout, upgrades even to suites on my cheap stays, unlimited gym access even when not staying at the property with the desired gym/shower, vouchers for food/drink, and free tea/coffee even if merely dropping into a hotel, and more. I couldn’t reasonably expect a more attractive loyalty program to come from a hotel chain in Scandinavia than Nordic Choice/Strawberry already give me.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:41 am
Suspended

I was recently reminded that the average amount of money Nordic Choice credits hotels for award nights at Nordic Choice Hotels using Nordic Choice points is about 1/3 less per award room night than what US Choice pays the Nordic Choice properties for the same award nights using US Choice points.

And a strong USD means US Choice’s costs for award nights in Scandinavia are less costly (and correspondingly more profitable) for US Choice than would otherwise be the case.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:18 pm

I can't even EARN points at a property in Norway. I purposefully chose this property as I am doing a Choice status match and this stay would add 5 nights. There is NOTHING on Choice's website about exceptions for these properties. And exploring the Nordic Choice's website, it appears that if I were a member of that program, even as a base member, I would have received at least a 5% discount on a very expensive stay. The Nordic site even offers the current double points promotion.

Prior to posting this, I emailed the social media team, who promptly confirmed the exception. And much information was offered about how I could join the Nordic program. But why would I want to join a subset of a loyalty program? I won't be back to Scandinavia anytime soon (not because of this situation, but because of planned travels).

In this case, I would have been better off booking through hotels.com or the like.

Very disappointed in the company that is headquartered in county I live and work in. I intend to pursue this with the county's consumer protection department upon my return!

Last edited by lamphs; Jan 20, 2023 at 7:37 pm
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:45 pm

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We know how important it's for our customers to get the rewards points after every qualifying stay. My team and I are more than willing to help to review your account to get things straightened up. We have replied to your private message; please refer there for further assistance. We hope to hear from you soon. –Vilma

Originally Posted by lamphs
I can't even EARN points at a property in Norway. I purposefully chose this property as I am doing a Choice status match and this stay would add 5 nights. There is NOTHING on Choice's website about exceptions for these properties. And exploring the Nordic Choice's website, it appears that if I were a member of that program, even as a base member, I would have received at least a 5% discount on a very expensive stay. The Nordic site even offers the current double points promotion.

Prior to posting this, I emailed the social media team, who promptly confirmed the exception. And much information was offered about how I could join the Nordic program. But why would I want to join a subset of a loyalty program? I won't be back to Scandinavia anytime soon (not because of this situation, but because of planned travels).

In this case, I would have been better off booking through hotels.com or the like.

Very disappointed in the company that is headquartered in county I live and work in. I intend to pursue this with the county's consumer protection department upon my return!
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We know how important it's for our customers to get the rewards points after every qualifying stay. My team and I are more than willing to help to review your account to get things straightened up. We have replied to your private message; please refer there for further assistance. We hope to hear from you soon. –Vilma
I replied to the e-mail, but as I stated in the e-mail, I had already communicated with one of your colleagues prior to my post; your colleague is the one who confirmed that the Nordic scheme is different from the main scheme. Hopefully this can be sorted, but I am not optimistic.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lamphs

Nordic Choice hotels are not eligible for earning Choice Privileges points/credit, and it's long been the case that they haven't been eligible for earning Choice Privileges credit. It is part and parcel of the regional franchise/partnership agreement that Nordic Choice has with Choice, an agreement whereby Nordic Choice has an exclusive on its hotel stays only being eligible for Nordic Choice Club credit or as Nordic Choice hotels deem appropriate but not for Choice Privileges credit.

While it used to be possible -- maybe it's still possible -- for US/Canada Choice hotel stays to be manually credited to the Nordic Choice Club, it's not been a reciprocal set-up when staying at Nordic Choice hotels for as long as I've been using staying at Nordic Choice hotels whether paying by bank card or Choice Privileges points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.