Questions: Scandinavia on Points

Old May 6, 20, 9:32 pm

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I'm seeing weird Rewards availability in Tromso, Norway through the end of the 100 day rewards calendar. There's only 1 hotel showing as available every day, even though the other properties seem to be selling "normal" rooms. Any thoughts? Another IT glitch?

Old May 11, 20, 12:47 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by zappy312 View Post
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I'm seeing weird Rewards availability in Tromso, Norway through the end of the 100 day rewards calendar. There's only 1 hotel showing as available every day, even though the other properties seem to be selling "normal" rooms. Any thoughts? Another IT glitch?

The availability of reward point rates is set by each hotel. Thank you for reaching out to share your feedback with us. If there is any property, in particular, you would like to use for a reward night, please contact the hotel directly for booking options. We sincerely hope that we can continue to meet your lodging needs. Our messages are always open if you need further assistance. I appreciate your membership with us. Take care now! *Julio
Old May 11, 20, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels View Post
The availability of reward point rates is set by each hotel. Thank you for reaching out to share your feedback with us. If there is any property, in particular, you would like to use for a reward night, please contact the hotel directly for booking options. We sincerely hope that we can continue to meet your lodging needs. Our messages are always open if you need further assistance. I appreciate your membership with us. Take care now! *Julio
Except that hotels in Norway are in the Nordic Choice program, not in the Choice Privileges program. And there've been cases in the past where website results like this were the results of interface issues between Nordic Choice and Choice Privileges.

If you call up a hotel in Norway, they only know about the Nordic Choice program, not about the Choice Privileges program.

Most of use who belong to Choice Privileges don't also belong to Nordic Choice, so it's hard for us to compare award search results between the two programs to see if it's an inter-program issue or not.
zappy312 likes this.
Old May 12, 20, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am part of both programs and have enough points in both programs to compare and try to complete the bookings.

This kind of situation has indeed taken place before (repeatedly at that) and is usually because of some kind of technical or process problem. And given the Nordic Choice properties have also been disrupted in ways by this novel coronavirus situation, I had expected that there would be a lot more divergence between points availability using Nordic Choice points and using US Choice Privileges points. I guess when Nordic Choice hotels staff up more at the still open hotels and re-open temporarily closed down Nordic Choice hotels then the ability to use US Choice points at these Nordic Choice properties will return to their more typical state of availability.

Right now It looks like this is most likely a technical problem. At some point this kind of situation may turn out to be a product of Nordic Choice and Choice separating to a much greater extent, but I’ve seen no indications of that being relevant at this time.
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 13, 20, 6:41 am

Whatever Nordic Choice hotel availability issues I was seeing yesterday when trying to use US Choice points now appears to be mostly fixed as of today. There seem to be some exceptions, but I’m finding most of my most commonly used Norwegian, Danish and Swedish properties to be available using US Choice points when the property is operating and available for booking stays tonight with my Nordic Choice Club points.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK E *G, HHGold, BW DS
GUWonder Tried to send you a message about some NCC recognition probs. when paying with Choice points but your inbox folder seems to be full!
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Peter1012 View Post
GUWonder Tried to send you a message about some NCC recognition probs. when paying with Choice points but your inbox folder seems to be full!
At least earlier this summer, NCC hotels at check-in would add my NCC number to my US Choice point bookings so that I could get the mobile key using the NC hotels app.

In the first half of the summer, the reimbursement rate for those Choice US point bookings would most commonly result in me getting NCC points too. In the latter half of the summer too they seemed to work for the mobile key; but they became less reliable at resulting in NCC points. I don't have enough US Choice point stays at enough Scandinavian hotels in the latter part of the summer to have my usual grasp on what has gone on in the second half of the summer when it comes to using Choice US points for Nordic Choice hotels.

Something may have changed in August or September with NCC recognition on Choice US points stays, but I haven't had it looked into yet -- that is even as I did have the opportunity to do so yesterday too. Once I get new information to share, I'll be sure to get an update into this thread. But for now, the above is all that I know about the current situation with NCC recognition on Choice US point bookings.
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
At least earlier this summer, NCC hotels at check-in would add my NCC number to my US Choice point bookings so that I could get the mobile key using the NC hotels app.

In the first half of the summer, the reimbursement rate for those Choice US point bookings would most commonly result in me getting NCC points too. In the latter half of the summer too they seemed to work for the mobile key; but they became less reliable at resulting in NCC points. I don't have enough US Choice point stays at enough Scandinavian hotels in the latter part of the summer to have my usual grasp on what has gone on in the second half of the summer when it comes to using Choice US points for Nordic Choice hotels.

Something may have changed in August or September with NCC recognition on Choice US points stays, but I haven't had it looked into yet -- that is even as I did have the opportunity to do so yesterday too. Once I get new information to share, I'll be sure to get an update into this thread. But for now, the above is all that I know about the current situation with NCC recognition on Choice US point bookings.
Thanks for updating!

In my case, in the last year I have spent so far 30+ nights at NC properties. However, only 3 nights gave points (and nights) back in my NCC account. Those 3 occurred this summer, all of them at properties located in Norway. However, few days ago I stayed for 5 nights at a property in Sweden and again, back to zero points/nights.
I find all of this very interesting because approximately 10 months ago, after having spent more than 5 nights at NC properties (all of them paid with Choice US points), I contacted NCC and they manually upgraded my account into Silver as per number of nights. I basically did the same a few days ago with 30+ nights and they refused to upgrade me to Gold.

In addition, I'm Choice Diamond and I basically get zero recognition at NC properties. I honestly don't get why because at the Choice US website it does not exclude Scandinavia when it comes to loyalty recognition.

We'll see what changes the future brings us, but hopefully some nice ones (such as a Status Match deal!)
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Peter1012 View Post
Thanks for updating!

In my case, in the last year I have spent so far 30+ nights at NC properties. However, only 3 nights gave points (and nights) back in my NCC account. Those 3 occurred this summer, all of them at properties located in Norway. However, few days ago I stayed for 5 nights at a property in Sweden and again, back to zero points/nights.
I find all of this very interesting because approximately 10 months ago, after having spent more than 5 nights at NC properties (all of them paid with Choice US points), I contacted NCC and they manually upgraded my account into Silver as per number of nights. I basically did the same a few days ago with 30+ nights and they refused to upgrade me to Gold.

In addition, I'm Choice Diamond and I basically get zero recognition at NC properties. I honestly don't get why because at the Choice US website it does not exclude Scandinavia when it comes to loyalty recognition.

We'll see what changes the future brings us, but hopefully some nice ones (such as a Status Match deal!)
Part of the issue at some Swedish properties has been with the reconcile process being handled at the hotel itself; and it can vary based on which employee is involved. It sort of reminds me of what happened when some of the NCC properties cracked down on what kind of rooms could be booked with US Choice points: not a system-wide IT factor as much as something far more manual and employee-dependent.

I can only hope that US Choice elite status becomes a means to get NCC status, but I have no expectation to see that anytime soon. Maybe we'll see another NCC status match promotion, like they did for Hilton elites. But that was driven by the Hilton CPH becoming a Clarion hotel. However, I see no other property like that in the Nordic area being of enough significance to make that kind of thing happen again very soon. But, oh, can we hope.
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Part of the issue at some Swedish properties has been with the reconcile process being handled at the hotel itself; and it can vary based on which employee is involved. It sort of reminds me of what happened when some of the NCC properties cracked down on what kind of rooms could be booked with US Choice points: not a system-wide IT factor as much as something far more manual and employee-dependent.

I can only hope that US Choice elite status becomes a means to get NCC status, but I have no expectation to see that anytime soon. Maybe we'll see another NCC status match promotion, like they did for Hilton elites. But that was driven by the Hilton CPH becoming a Clarion hotel. However, I see no other property like that in the Nordic area being of enough significance to make that kind of thing happen again very soon. But, oh, can we hope.
I wish the same as you, a 'conversion' of Choice US status into NCC. When it comes to status matches, we've seen some companies doing it for the first time ever (Qatar) or some doing it again after many years such as Marriott. I was honestly expecting a Status Match promotion last year when NC bought so many hotels in Helsinki. However, I can still see that many of these hotels are nowadays still part of Marriott Bonvoy / GLA a year after the acquisition and even though they are already included in the NCC. It'll be interesting to see for how long this lasts (and if after a full conversion into NCC there is any Status Match) )
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: