Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Choice | Choice Privileges

Upcoming Promotion

Upcoming Promotion

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: sdsearch
Wiki Link
This thread has been running for multiple years and is used for every promotion. Do not assume early posts are current; please check the date of the post, or start from end of the thread and work backwards.

Early posts are about former promotions, and the links in former posts may not work for current promotions.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 20, 11:53 pm
  #331  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,644
Speaking of Cambria, please don't start any arguments there! At the Cambria Hotel & Suites in Anaheim today:

Massive Brawl Breaks Out at Anaheim Hotel, Up To 100 People Involved

https://mynewsla.com/hollywood/2020/...le-involved-2/
sdsearch is offline  
Old Aug 7, 20, 9:39 am
  #332  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,643
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Speaking of Cambria, please don't start any arguments there! At the Cambria Hotel & Suites in Anaheim today:

Massive Brawl Breaks Out at Anaheim Hotel, Up To 100 People Involved

https://mynewsla.com/hollywood/2020/...le-involved-2/
Disneyland? Sounds like a new theme park, Meleeland!
sdsearch likes this.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Aug 13, 20, 9:52 pm
  #333  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,643
My story, and I'm sticking with it. The Cambria promotion pays out at 20K but including what you earned on base spending. But not reduced by the 8K you earned for "stay twice, earn a free night." In my case, in addition to the 8K for the regular promotion and what I should have earned for the stay itself in the absence of any promotion, I got an extra 18,300 points. BTW, it took a little less than two weeks after the checkout from the second stay for the Cambria promotion points to post--the "two-stay, 8K" points posted within two or three days of that checkout.

I'm happy, especially since less than $200 of spending got me something like 26,000 points plus two hotel nights I could have moved to another chain. If the opportunity presents itself to you, do it.

Because at regular purchase rates, which I understand no one would do normally, the points alone would have cost over $300.
synergistic likes this.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Aug 14, 20 at 3:42 pm Reason: Added information about the time needed for points to post
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Aug 22, 20, 4:23 pm
  #334  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: Choice, Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Delta, American, Jet Blue, SWA
Posts: 40
I'm a little confused at your math. 8K points 2x stay for Choice and 20K points for 2x stay at Cambria. Totals to 28K - or better if you have "extras", Choice Credit Card or bonuses for Gold/Diamond.

So you got 28K+ points for less than $200. Not 26.

Please explain if I'm wrong.

(Previously when this 2x Cambria promotion was announced, it said in the rules that one would receive 20K Points that could be used at 50 Cambria properties by Nov 30, 2020. With a use limitation only to Nov 30 I dismissed this promotion a relevant to me. Now that I read it closer and see that the Nov 30 limitation is not on the 20K points - that the points HAVE to be used by 11/30 - but on the redeem-ability of 20K Points and those 50 Cambria Hotels since the redemption requirements may increase after the Nov 30 period. So NOW, understanding it differently, I may make a 2x play in the next two weeks - I'm just trying to calculate my points outcome if I do.)
DCABarry is offline  
Old Aug 22, 20, 8:57 pm
  #335  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,774
Yeah, it works that way. Please don't make a big deal about it, don't call the bloggers, let it be something that loyalists get to take advantage of. I am grateful and have been staying with Choice every chance I can - Cambrias if they're where I stop for the night. Maybe by the time I get to use these points they'll have fixed the vacation rental partner program! (hint hint!)
synergistic is offline  
Old Aug 23, 20, 7:29 pm
  #336  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,643
Originally Posted by DCABarry View Post
I'm a little confused at your math. 8K points 2x stay for Choice and 20K points for 2x stay at Cambria. Totals to 28K - or better if you have "extras", Choice Credit Card or bonuses for Gold/Diamond.

So you got 28K+ points for less than $200. Not 26.

Please explain if I'm wrong.

(Previously when this 2x Cambria promotion was announced, it said in the rules that one would receive 20K Points that could be used at 50 Cambria properties by Nov 30, 2020. With a use limitation only to Nov 30 I dismissed this promotion a relevant to me. Now that I read it closer and see that the Nov 30 limitation is not on the 20K points - that the points HAVE to be used by 11/30 - but on the redeem-ability of 20K Points and those 50 Cambria Hotels since the redemption requirements may increase after the Nov 30 period. So NOW, understanding it differently, I may make a 2x play in the next two weeks - I'm just trying to calculate my points outcome if I do.)
You earn points for the stays. Choice does not then give you an extra 8K or an extra 20K--you get the amount that brings the points you earned for the stay (which you would have done somewhere anyway) which we can call "x" and then an additional amount 8000 - x or 20000 - x for the stay. The promotion brings the latter two into play. Yes, you end up with 28K, but I would have earned about 2K without the promotion.

Just the way I do the math. If I'm going to stay anyway, I want to know how much more I'll earn with a promotion than without. That allows me to compare with other hotel promotions. No matter how you do the math, though, this is a worthwhile promotion.

And yeah, I don't run to the blogs with this stuff, but the folks who write those can read FT or even the emails that Choice sends regarding these promotions. I'd be stunned if anyone who is serious about travel blogging hasn't joined every program out there and doesn't get every email the programs might send out, even if for the most part they're unremarkable. I view this current stack of promotions simply a recognition by the hotel operators how bad business is right now. I stayed at the Raleigh Cambria this past Friday evening, and as I noted upthread, there are several other hotels in the vicinity. None of them had more than 25% of their parking lots full.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Aug 27, 20, 12:12 pm
  #337  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 329
Just to verify my inkling - if I check out on September 7, 2020, from a hotel, I'd still get the bonus points, correct? Looking at doing a Sunday - Monday stay at a Cambria over Labor Day (already have one stay under my belt) to get the bonus points. If not, may need to rethink my plans.
jebr is online now  
Old Aug 29, 20, 10:38 pm
  #338  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,644
Originally Posted by jebr View Post
Just to verify my inkling - if I check out on September 7, 2020, from a hotel, I'd still get the bonus points, correct? Looking at doing a Sunday - Monday stay at a Cambria over Labor Day (already have one stay under my belt) to get the bonus points. If not, may need to rethink my plans.
Just read the full T&Cs of the promotion carefully. It should spell all that out.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 3, 20, 11:11 am
  #339  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1
For Stays August 12 and August 15 at Cambria hotels, still no points. What's the general time frame for the 20,000 to post?
Dane Russell is offline  
Old Sep 3, 20, 1:12 pm
  #340  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,774
Originally Posted by Dane Russell View Post
For Stays August 12 and August 15 at Cambria hotels, still no points. What's the general time frame for the 20,000 to post?
For my second Cambria stay on 3 Aug, bonus posted 13 Aug. Fourth Cambria stay was 27 Aug, bonus hasn't posted yet.
synergistic is offline  
Old Sep 7, 20, 2:07 pm
  #341  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 93
I completed 2 stays at Cambria hotels (8/15 and 8/22). I did receive the "2020 Summer Promotion Stay Twice Earn a Free Night" 8000pts.
Have not received the 20,000pts for the 2 stays at Cambria Hotels yet.
JustDandy is offline  
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:46 pm
  #342  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,774
Ugh! Ended on an odd number of stays when I didn't make it to the hotel to check in one night last week. I called hoping the hotel would check me in over the phone, but the night audit clerk just told me to call Choice. Don't figure that'll help, so I'm not gonna tie up their lines over it.

Still, glad to still be earning for future burning - looking forward to the next round!
synergistic is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 1:56 pm
  #343  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,774
Kudos to Choice for sending an advance email about the upcoming promo - and I'm shocked they'll be offering the gift cards again! 22 Sep to 15 Nov - much appreciated!!
jebr likes this.
synergistic is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 2:56 pm
  #344  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 329
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
Kudos to Choice for sending an advance email about the upcoming promo - and I'm shocked they'll be offering the gift cards again! 22 Sep to 15 Nov - much appreciated!!
Hopefully they'll have the 20K Cambria bonuses posted by then. Not sure if I'll use them for the gift card or not, but would be nice to have them at the ready if I want to.
jebr is online now  
Old Sep 14, 20, 7:49 pm
  #345  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,643
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
Kudos to Choice for sending an advance email about the upcoming promo - and I'm shocked they'll be offering the gift cards again! 22 Sep to 15 Nov - much appreciated!!
With travel patterns the way they are, I suspect there will be few dead spots between promos--either for Choice or other hotels chains or the airlines. They are desperate for business, especially since the end of the normally busy summer season that wasn't so busy. I'm sure many of the franchisees, who may usually gripe about the generosity of Choice promos, are breathing down Choice's neck right now about keeping the promos coming.

I could even see a similar promo to the Cambria promo this fall, even if it involves another part of the chain and at a reduced earnings level but still stacking with the essence of most Choice promos--8K after two stays.
lwildernorva is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread