Old Sep 4, 17, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
This thread has been running for multiple years and is used for every promotion. Do not assume early posts are current; please check the date of the post, or start from end of the thread and work backwards.

Early posts are about former promotions, and the links in former posts may not work for current promotions.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming Promotion

Old Jul 13, 20, 6:54 pm

I wonder if they'll do a manual process to post these points - it might've been difficult to code into the automatic system, but they'll pull all the relevant visits at some point (either periodically throughout, or at the end of the promotion) and post the points then, instead of automatically after every second qualifying stay. I'm not sure how often Choice runs promos like that, but I know it's fairly frequent in other hotel systems.
Old Jul 14, 20, 3:25 pm

Programs: Choice, Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Delta, American, Jet Blue, SWA
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
Promotion back ... 10 June - 7 September. Of course, I didn't get the email until this morning and didn't see the promo on the site last night, so my opening night stay didn't qualify. Still, glad to see it back.
I'd call Choice or send a message via this forum to ChoiceHotels. Ask for your bonus points.

If I get this right, you're "in" a Choice Hotel for a valid date of the promotion and are notified of the promotion after you've checked-in. So you couldn't register for the promo. (The fact that you hadn't checked your email BEFORE you checked-in is secondary to the spirit of the promotion, IMO. It's just not reasonable for them to expect you to do so.)

i believe this would constitute a "tie" in sports.

As a normal human being (well not really "normal" if you're a Choice points collection freak) you would (of course) sign-up for any new promo the minute you learn of any new deal to gain you more points. Reasonable!

The goal of these promotions is to incentivize us patrons to 1) book and stay at Choice properties and 2) maximize our patronage of more nights at more hotels. It's not to piss off Choice Hotels "best" patrons and de-incentivize them so they stay elsewhere.

Tell them that you stayed at X property on Y night. That "if you had known" a bonus promo was "on" you'd done things differently (like checking-in later, or going to a non-Choice property - exactly what the don't want happening!) Tell them you EXPECT the night in question to be COUNTED as a bonus night - now you must make sure you have (or will have) an even-numbered stay to actually accrue the 2X Bonus.

Choice seems to want to out think us CP members as to when a new promo comes on board. We know that there is a pattern and have it largely figured out. I just don't GET IT why their management delays notifications of such promos to the extreme 11th hour. Here, and it happened tome back in 2015, they commenced the bonus on the same day as they notify their "best customers." Maybe give us 3/5/7 day notice CP managers?
synergistic likes this.

Last edited by DCABarry; Aug 22, 20 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 14, 20, 6:16 pm

Someone from Choice reached out on here, requesting my account info, and sure enough - after my second stay a few days later, I got the bonus points. I was pretty impressed!
DCABarry likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by jebr View Post
I wonder if they'll do a manual process to post these points - it might've been difficult to code into the automatic system, but they'll pull all the relevant visits at some point (either periodically throughout, or at the end of the promotion) and post the points then, instead of automatically after every second qualifying stay. I'm not sure how often Choice runs promos like that, but I know it's fairly frequent in other hotel systems.
It would be nice to have their assurance prior to making a mattress run just to find out you wasted a ton of money for nothing.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by iggyray View Post
It would be nice to have their assurance prior to making a mattress run just to find out you wasted a ton of money for nothing.
Aren't the terms and conditions their assurance?
Old Jul 16, 20, 1:54 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by AZ26 View Post
This latest promotion sounds great in theory. The problem is that the Choice IT systems seem to be totally broken. For instance, I've done multiple Cambria stays since the beginning of the promotion, but while the system recognizes that I'm staying at Cambria hotels, it is only giving me the points I'd be entitled to if I were staying at non-Cambria hotels. So I'm not getting the full 20K points I'm entitled to every two stays, but 8K points instead. Weird. The annoying thing is that I can already tell this is going to be a massive mess to untangle. When I call Choice, the reps don't even seem to know about the promotion and don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

I'm coming from Marriott and have been considering switching my business to some of the higher-end Choice hotels, but the customer service so far is not great.
We appreciate you choosing us for your lodging options. Thank you for sharing your experience with the promotion and apologize that the points you expect are not populating. Please allow us an opportunity to research this if you haven't come to a resolution yet. Send a private message with your member number, full name, email, telephone, and complete mailing address on your account. Those details also help us verify your stays. I hope we can chat more soon! *Julio
Old Jul 24, 20, 1:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I want to transfer points from amtrak to choice hotel but can the process be expedited? i plan on staying next week and waiting 4 weeks for point transfer seems long
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 20, 5:24 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

We know timing is crucial considering your intended stay is around the corner. The conversion of Amtrak Guest Rewards points for Choice Privileges points is hosted through Amtrak and would be subject to their terms and conditions. These adjustments could potentially post sooner. I regret not being able to provide an immediate solution to this dilemma. Thank you for being one of our loyal members. *Julio
Old Jul 27, 20, 1:06 pm

This latest promotion sounds great in theory. The problem is that the Choice IT systems seem to be totally broken. For instance, I've done multiple Cambria stays since the beginning of the promotion, but while the system recognizes that I'm staying at Cambria hotels, it is only giving me the points I'd be entitled to if I were staying at non-Cambria hotels. So I'm not getting the full 20K points I'm entitled to every two stays, but 8K points instead. Weird. The annoying thing is that I can already tell this is going to be a massive mess to untangle. When I call Choice, the reps don't even seem to know about the promotion and don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

I'm coming from Marriott and have been considering switching my business to some of the higher-end Choice hotels, but the customer service so far is not great.
Just checking in to see how this has gone for you. I have my second Cambria stay coming up this week, nestled between several other brands - just wondering what to expect. Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 20, 6:35 pm

Update

Just checking in to see how this has gone for you. I have my second Cambria stay coming up this week, nestled between several other brands - just wondering what to expect. Thanks!
I talked to the Choice representative on Flyertalk who says it takes two weeks to post the Cambria points after each set of two stays. So far I have received the points for one set of two stays but am waiting on several others.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 7:11 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Gold, HyatGlobalist Lite, Honors Diamond (Amex spend), Marriott Life Gold
Happyvoid, only certain Amtrak members can transfer AGR to Choice. IIRC, you must be either a Select member or hold the Amtrak credit card (MC/ Visa.)
Old Jul 29, 20, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up new promo rate: MEMBERS STAY 1 NIGHT, GET 20% OFF*

"*Rate restrictions: Subject to availability, the rate is 20% off Best Available Rate. Must be a Choice Privileges member. This is a prepaid rate that may be canceled for a refund up to three days (72 hours) before arrival. Rooms at this discount are limited. Offer is not applicable to groups and cannot be combined with any other discounts, special offers or promotions except for the "Stay Twice. Earn a Free Night" offer. Offer may be changed or discontinued at any time. All Choice Hotels properties are independently owned and operated."

Yesterday or the day before, Choice instituted the above promo rate on on their website. It's theoretically an advance purchase rate, but at many hotels it's available the day of arrival, though at some hotels by midday they tend to sell out of this rate (in some cases, hotels which usually don't sell out have sold out of all rooms presumably because of this great rate!). You don't have to select this rate, it selects itself automatically.

And if you parse the double negative in the T&Cs above correctly, you'll that it does stack with the "stay twice, earn 8000+ points" promo.

Also, when hotels sell out of this rate, but have other rates, unfortunately the goofy Choice Hotels website does not realize this, and in the list of hotels it still gives this rate for every hotel (that's not sold out completely), then you click through to the hotel to find that there no rooms at this rate, only at higher rates now. As the day goes on, this happens with more and more hotels.

And now if I try it in the evening for tonight (west coast time), every hotel click through says "sorry, an unexpected error occurred". (Doesn't say SOLD OUT, but doesn't show any rooms either. )

So on the one hand, this rate is nice when you can snag it, on the other hand, it seems to be causing some problems for the Choice Hotels website which might make legitimate last-minute booking attempts (not necessarily trying to get this rate even) fail possibly.
Old Aug 3, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
I talked to the Choice representative on Flyertalk who says it takes two weeks to post the Cambria points after each set of two stays. So far I have received the points for one set of two stays but am waiting on several others.
You're a little ahead of me on this as I just completed a second Cambria stay this past weekend. I'll be interested to see if you (and I) get an additional 20,000 points--or just 12,000 (with the 8K already posted counting against the 20K).
synergistic likes this.
Old Aug 3, 20, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
You're a little ahead of me on this as I just completed a second Cambria stay this past weekend. I'll be interested to see if you (and I) get an additional 20,000 points--or just 12,000 (with the 8K already posted counting against the 20K).
​​​​​​In my second Cambria tonight and wondering the same. Well worth staying with Choice either way, but I'll definitely change up my stay patterns depending on the result ;-)
Old Aug 5, 20, 5:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
​​​​​​In my second Cambria tonight and wondering the same. Well worth staying with Choice either way, but I'll definitely change up my stay patterns depending on the result ;-)
I like Cambria, but some of these chains are so interchangeable now. The one I stayed in this past weekend, the RDU Airport Cambria, is in a little stretch with a Hyatt Place, Country Suites & Inn, and a Tru by Hilton. Looking at the buildings, it was clear that if you shuffled the outside branding amongst the four, you wouldn't know it since the buildings, all four and five stories with narrow hallways and windows that can't open, look all the same. I know that's a design decision since rebranding happens all the time, and the similar looks of the buildings makes changing brands so much easier.

Search this Thread