Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Trying Out New Website Design?

Old Apr 5, 15, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold

Logged in tonight to see if I could make a reservation for Memorial Day weekend and up popped a new, sleeker Choice website. There was a link that allowed a return to the old website, which I chose because of an issue I encountered that might (might) confirm the devaluation fears. Sorry, I didn't take a screen shot and haven't been able to get the website I saw earlier to pop up again, even using a private browsing session.

I was trying to book a hotel in NYC that has previously shown a 10K rate and which did on the results page on the new website; however, when I clicked through to attempt to complete the reservation, the 10K per night jumped to 50K! A couple of back and forths replicated the pattern--10K on the results page, 50K when attempting to reserve the room.

That's when I clicked on the old website link, which showed a consistent 10K both on the results page and on the reservations page and which allowed me to complete the reservation as intended.

I did not explore any other properties on the new website to see if I could discover other hotels that might show similar jumps, but when initially perusing the results page, none of the hotels showed a reward rate of more than 30K, which we know is relatively standard now for Manhattan.

Since Choice is apparently trying out a new website, this could simply have been a bug that needs to be worked out. Or, it could be the harbinger of a Wyndham-style devaluation.

The new website is very slick, but the bug (I hope!) I encountered would be very bad news for this program--and we know that several chains have done devaluations shortly after participating in the Daily Getaways promotion.

Check to see if you can pull up the new website. I'll try another computer at work tomorrow.
Old Apr 6, 15, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Just tried accessing the Choice site again this morning on another computer but did not get the revised site mentioned above. Points have been deducted from my account at the anticipated 10K per night for the booking I made yesterday.

I'm wondering if I somehow stumbled upon a "not ready for primetime" version of a revised website. Keep in mind that I found this site through an independent search, not by clicking on a link in an email, so I'm not concerned at this point that I instead hit a "spoofed" site.
Old Apr 6, 15, 2:53 pm

10,000 point properties in NYC

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Just tried accessing the Choice site again this morning on another computer but did not get the revised site mentioned above. Points have been deducted from my account at the anticipated 10K per night for the booking I made yesterday.

Hi lwildernorva,

I'm interested in Choice hotels in New York City, and it would be awesome to book a nice place for 10,000 points. The Choice Hotels website is acting wonky right now and not allowing me to search properties based on reward point rates. Do you mind sharing the name of the property you booked?

Thanks,
Itinerant14life
Old Apr 6, 15, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Itinerant14life View Post
Hi lwildernorva,

I'm interested in Choice hotels in New York City, and it would be awesome to book a nice place for 10,000 points. The Choice Hotels website is acting wonky right now and not allowing me to search properties based on reward point rates. Do you mind sharing the name of the property you booked?

Thanks,
Itinerant14life
Instead of looking for New York City properties, try Flushing, NY instead. That's reliably returned results for all of NYC. I think this is an introductory, not a mistake rate that will soon go to 30K (hope against hope not the 50K mentioned above, but this is a new hotel in an area of Manhattan that seems to have become hotter recently), but have received some PMs asking that we keep publicity low on this in case it is indeed a mistake rate. Not my style normally, but I guess there's no harm in the approach.
Old Apr 7, 15, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Another couple of tries on different computers, and I still haven't been able to get the "new" website to come up. I know what I saw (and also know I was totally sober when I saw it!), but by now, I would have expected to access the site again with private browsing sessions on other computers if Choice was getting ready to roll this out.

Oh, well. . .
Old Apr 7, 15, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Instead of looking for New York City properties, try Flushing, NY instead. That's reliably returned results for all of NYC. I think this is an introductory, not a mistake rate that will soon go to 30K (hope against hope not the 50K mentioned above, but this is a new hotel in an area of Manhattan that seems to have become hotter recently), but have received some PMs asking that we keep publicity low on this in case it is indeed a mistake rate. Not my style normally, but I guess there's no harm in the approach.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Itinerant14life
Old Apr 7, 15, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Itinerant14life View Post
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Itinerant14life
Should be no issue finding it through Flushing. I don't know why there's an issue using New York City as the search point, although clearly this issue has now been going on for weeks, but it's how I've made my last two bookings there!
Old Apr 8, 15, 9:28 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

New Website!

Glad that you like the new website! Just as an FYI, you can rest assured that we that we are not devaluing the program. This is a bug we also discovered that will be imminently fixed. - Dana, Choice Hotels Customer Care.
Old Apr 8, 15, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels View Post
Glad that you like the new website! Just as an FYI, you can rest assured that we that we are not devaluing the program. This is a bug we also discovered that will be imminently fixed. - Dana, Choice Hotels Customer Care.
Thanks for confirming that I'm not delusional. And it is a very slick looking website. I didn't play long on it to get much of a feel for functionality, but I think it will be a definite upgrade.

Also thanks for confirming that it was a bug and not a devaluation. The increase at the top level from 25K to 30K a couple of years ago was the kind of change that I think can make sense--businesses need to adjust their charges every so often to match expenses--but what you've now confirmed as a bug could have been a worrisome sign.

And lastly, welcome to FT! I hope that we'll see you every so often to help address issues that might arise. The group here may not be very big, but I think it gets what Choice is trying to do and is generally happy both with the product when paid with cash and with the CP program.
Old Apr 8, 15, 6:56 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels View Post
Thank you for joining the site. I hope you register with FT as a company representative as company reps do on other boards on FT.

Would you allow us to PM you with questions specific to ourselves, that have no importance to others in the FT community?

We all look forward to any insight you can pass on to us about Choice hotels the the Choice programs.
Old Apr 10, 15, 7:17 am

Looks like the new site is live. I've been booking some rooms this morning.

I few negatives I see:

The side-by-side listing / map feature is removed. Now it's either listing or map. Map zoom in / out requires using the +/- buttons in the upper right hand corner of the map. No more mouse scroll wheel zoom.

Other than the above items, it's a good look that will take some time to getting used to.
Old Apr 10, 15, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by EVA777 View Post
Looks like the new site is live. I've been booking some rooms this morning.

I few negatives I see:

The side-by-side listing / map feature is removed. Now it's either listing or map. Map zoom in / out requires using the +/- buttons in the upper right hand corner of the map. No more mouse scroll wheel zoom.

Other than the above items, it's a good look that will take some time to getting used to.
Must have been another test run. I just logged in and still see the old site.
Old Apr 10, 15, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by crzn View Post
Must have been another test run. I just logged in and still see the old site.
Yep. I jumped the gun, same here. Back to the old site. I was on the new one for 30 mins or so this morning.
Old Apr 10, 15, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Just had my second encounter with the new website. No repeat of the 50K issue for a reward booking mentioned in my first post. Don't have a whole lot of time to play with this tonight, but it a more "modern" graphical look.
Old Apr 13, 15, 9:01 pm

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA

Booked three nights on the new site this evening. Something that was a pain was having to enter my credit card info for each booking. It wouldn't save it like the old site did. Hope there is a fix.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: