Cash+Points awards launched

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pbd456
given that the refund is points only. i would expect that point + cash is a way to buy points using cash to make an all points redemption
And those stays indeed end up being ineligible ("non-qualifying rate") stays for earning points/miles.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Has anyone been able to shift a C+P reservation online since the new website debuted?

Two weeks ago on the old site, I was able to move a 3-night res forward by one day, but now cannot move it to the following week on either old or new site. TIA.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Can't you cancel and rebook?

If the points are expired, that would be a reason you cannot modify the reservation.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not seeing the C+P rate on any hotels, either on the new website or the old. And it seems to know who I am and what my status is.

I can't believe they've terminated the program already - what am I doing wrong?
Old May 13, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
I'm not seeing the C+P rate on any hotels, either on the new website or the old. And it seems to know who I am and what my status is.

I can't believe they've terminated the program already - what am I doing wrong?
Same issue here. Not sure what is going on.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Same issue here. Not sure what is going on.
Have you already hit your 250k point limit? I'm still seeing c+p rates on the old site...
Old May 16, 2015, 7:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
Have you already hit your 250k point limit? I'm still seeing c+p rates on the old site...
I'm still seeing them too. I do have elite status with Choice but am not sure if that is a distinguishing feature in this regard.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Nope. Will try calling them though.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Has anyone been able to shift a C+P reservation online since the new website debuted?

Two weeks ago on the old site, I was able to move a 3-night res forward by one day, but now cannot move it to the following week on either old or new site. TIA.
I was finally able to change dates yesterday via the old site. I hope they're working on righting the ship(s).
Old May 27, 2015, 5:30 pm

I'm not seeing C+P. Has anything changed for you folks that reported on this earlier?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boxo
I'm not seeing C+P. Has anything changed for you folks that reported on this earlier?
I saw cash and points and did the book and cancel game just two days ago.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I saw cash and points and did the book and cancel game just two days ago.
Thank you.

I tried something a little different tonight - instead of initially searching for Rewards, I chose city + Best Available Rates, clicked on the hotel I wanted, changed the search to Reward, and finally got the C+P option.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
As we hit the one-year anniversary of this change, a booking I'm making in Ireland serves as a reminder that the new system makes it worthwhile to check purely cash rates rather than just going straight to redemptions. For some spring dates in Cork, Ireland, I can book the Clarion Hotel Cork for 8000 points or the nearby Clarion Collection Montenotte for 20000 points or $90 plus 8000 points.

Or I could just book the Montenotte for 67 euro (roughly $73 at today's exchange rate), save money, and earn points. By the way, the Clarion Hotel costs 124 euro (roughly $136) for the same nights. In the previous system, we would have looked at the cash price simply to get some idea of the redemption value compared between two nearby hotels but would not have necessarily thought to check if we might actually pay more for a redemption than for a straight cash booking.

I'm generally not obsessive about the value of a point/mile in any program (sometimes I'm eager enough to extend my travels without impacting my wallet that I might book an airline/hotel award others would think is a poor value), but this confirms that friends don't let friends book Choice awards without checking cash prices!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:37 pm

At some point recently (like within the past few days) Choice has switched their P+C rates to require 6,000 points per night instead of 8,000 points per night - pricing is still the same, though, at $7.50 per 1000 points.

Doesn't really change anything, just thought it worth mentioning.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Why am I not seeing the cash and points options when searching for reward nights.

I have 9000 points.

Search for Kingman, AZ - click on the 10k Quality Inn - you do not have enough points for this reservation, click on the 8k Econolodge - also no option

Same for Prague and their 10k properties

Is there a trick to cash and points while searching?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.