Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Fun Speculation Thread: Does Choice Participate in Daily Getaways & If So, Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fun Speculation Thread: Does Choice Participate in Daily Getaways & If So, Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Originally Posted by restonva
I would never purchase points...but I would like to mention that there is a new brand in the Choice portfolio called Ascend -- which includes some independent and more upscale properties. I am not familiar with any of the hotels included but they may be of interest to some people. Ascend also includes a few hotels in Scandinavia.
The Ascend name was first used by Choice in 2008. Before then, Choice used the name Clarion Collection for those hotels. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...n-program.html

The name change from Clarion Collection to Ascend hasn't happened everywhere. For example:

Welcome to the Clarion Collection Hotel Tapto, a Stockholm hotel near the Museum of National Antiquities
http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-st...m-sweden-SE018
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are there really any Sleep Inns outside the U.S.?

There are a few outside the USA:

http://www.sleepinn.com/sitemap
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by scruffy
The Ascend name was first used by Choice in 2008. Before then, Choice used the name Clarion Collection for those hotels. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...n-program.html

The name change from Clarion Collection to Ascend hasn't happened everywhere. For example:

Welcome to the Clarion Collection Hotel Tapto, a Stockholm hotel near the Museum of National Antiquities
http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-st...m-sweden-SE018
Nordic Choice is rather distinct from Choice in the main.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:40 pm

If I were to buy the Comfort Inn package, would that be 24000 Choice Privilege points?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Do the points have to be used on a hotel stay? Could we use them for the gift card promo?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by dorif
If I were to buy the Comfort Inn package, would that be 24000 Choice Privilege points?
Yes

Originally Posted by Minneapolis
Do the points have to be used on a hotel stay? Could we use them for the gift card promo?
You can use them for any Choice Privileges purposes. If you are asking about using them in the current promotion of stay twice and get a $50 card for 8,000 points, the answer is no. The card will be 16,000 points - the normal amount. You can only get the card for 8,000 points if you stay twice. However, you can buy any of the normal items with those points.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Sooo... How did our little coven do? I notice a couple of us over in the thread on the Hotel Deals board. I picked up one, but otherwise was too late... How did you do?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Firewind
Sooo... How did our little coven do? I notice a couple of us over in the thread on the Hotel Deals board. I picked up one, but otherwise was too late... How did you do?
For three accounts, we picked up 6 of the 8 max. packages for two accounts and 7 of the 8 max. packages for a third account. Ended up with purchasing 176k points for one account, 176k for a second account, and 216k for a third account.

It was relatively easy compared to last year, but more difficult than it used to be. The increased quantities for sale helped with our results.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
As noted upthread, I expected to get nothing because I was scheduled on a flight from LHR to IAD at the exact time of the auction. It turns out my sister could not be near a computer at 1 p.m. yesterday, and I knew that several days ago. So I got nothing.

Except, my flight was delayed. Now, there were plenty of things still happening right around 6 p.m. that might have kept me from participating, but I think right at 6 p.m. London time, I was on my computer in the BA lounge--and simply forgot about it until around 7:30 p.m. when I made an attempt and saw everything was sold out.

So, as John Housman said in the old Smith Barney commercials, I'll have to get my Choice points this year the old-fashioned way--I'll have to earn them.

For those too young to have seen the commercials (or know who John housman is) or for those who'd like a refresher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMRXqQXemU.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
A credit card glitch screwed me on this one.

There were a lot more packages for sale this year. Plus, the Daily Getaways deals have been less attractive, so I think fewer people were sitting by their computer.

I purchased two sets of points times two for 136,000. I was successful in getting another but my credit card failed. Apparently, the attempt to make three purchases on one website in three minutes set off a fraud alert.

I switched to another card and again got two packages. BUT, I forgot that I had changed my address to our new home from our post office box. So this sale got kicked out, too.

So I should have gotten around 250,000 points, but instead I got only 136,000. I'm still happy. Last year I only got 100,000 points, and that was with no glitches and getting about a third of those 15 minutes after the sale by repeatedly pressing the "buy" key (somebody was in my shape and couldn't pay).
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Paging BigLar. ...He's probably got the clan over there spending the last batch as we speak.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I only bought enough to cover next year's trip to Italy as I didn't want to get stuck with more points than I could use. 2 x 32k - 64k should be worth 6-8 nights hopefully they don't devalue them. We're doing an Eastern Med cruise, then taking trains around Italy.

For several minutes afterwards, I experimented with adding other packages in my cart, I could have easily bought more if I had wanted to. At least the people who are less fast-fingered benefited from me releasing the packages!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Got a couple of 32k for me, then tried to get the same for my spouse, but even after entering a different loyalty number, at the final screen the page complained that I have already used this credit card to buy maximum of 2 packages and kicked me out… Didn't get anything after that.

Quite disappointed, nowhere did they say the limit is per credit card.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by elva
Quite disappointed, nowhere did they say the limit is per credit card.
I guess you might say it is in the fine print

The purchase of offers is limited to 1 purchase per offer (quantity restrictions differ by product), per day, per card (e.g., you may not purchase the same exact offer more than once with the same credit card on the same day.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:11 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Have you guys received the points yet? I saw the charge on my AMEX but haven't seen the points yet. I haven't even gotten an acknowledgement email from Daily Getaways.

Last edited by swy; Jul 1, 2013 at 7:19 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.