Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

lifetime Choice Elite Gold status for 1 million lifetime points earned!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lifetime Choice Elite Gold status for 1 million lifetime points earned!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up lifetime Choice Elite Gold status for 1 million lifetime points earned!

I just got this in the (physical) mail:
Dear sdsearch:

Congratulations! You've been awarded Choice Privileges Lifetime Elite Gold status! This special benefit is only available to loyal Choice Privileges members who have earned over one million lifetime Choice Privileges points.
It came with a card that shows my lifetime status, but not my current status. (Unlike, say, AA, which has the number of MM on the regular status card.) So my regular higher status card still trumps that (the letter explains that, in case I were to wonder), and there's no point carrying this card around as far as I can see.

(I'm still Diamond this year, and will be at least Platinum next year.)

Still, it's nice to know that once I stop being in a situation where I need so many hotel rooms a year, I'll still have Choice status of some sort.

Is this documented anywhere? Is it new? I don't remember ever hearing of it before.

Btw, all I know about this is what the letter said (quoted above). For example, I do not know if there is further lifetime status to be had for even more lifetime points, nor do I know if there are any other requirements (like having been a CP member for x years or having had some sort of annual elite status for y years).
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
I got the same piece of mail last week. I know I'm well over 1 million points earned so it got to be a new incentive they are just unveiling. It has an odd member number on the card as well. Doesn't follow typical letters of first and last name and birthday numbers.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as I keep my (no annual fee) Barclay card, I have effective lifetime Gold, too.

I keep getting Gold with Marriott, even though I haven't stayed at a Marriott in about 3 years, but Gold with them means something. It would be nice if it were lifetime platinum with Choice, because that gives you an advantage (longer redemption window) that I would really use,

Other than that, there aren't many Choice perks, even for Diamonds,
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
For example, I do not know if there is further lifetime status to be had for even more lifetime points, nor do I know if there are any other requirements (like having been a CP member for x years or having had some sort of annual elite status for y years).
I can confirm that there is no requirement to have annual elite status for X years. I received the Lifetime Gold card in the mail as well and I have NEVER had elite status with Choice. I used to stay with Choice maybe 5x per year back before I evolved to the better chain hotel programs a few years ago. But I got 99% of my Choice pts thru Discover America (back when the getting was good a few years ago and you could buy unlimited pts). I obviously bought over 1M Choice pts from Discover America over teh years (for the sole reason of transferring to SWA to get Companion Passes). So even bought pts must count towards this Lifetime status. I'm certainly quite happy about this as now it seems like I have a 20 day lead over everybody else in redeeming Choice awards for the rest of my life. Not bad!!!

I too am curious if 2M Lifetime pts gets you Choice Plat, or 3M Lifetime pts gets you Choice Diamond. If so, I'd aim to buy up even more pts every year in Discover America.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Good to know about this. interesting nobody comes back with lifetime platinum yet!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by n dakota
It has an odd member number on the card as well. Doesn't follow typical letters of first and last name and birthday numbers.
That's common, but I don't know how "typical". Mine is part of my phone number (at the time my Guest Privileges number was issued*), instead of birthday numbers. I've heard of other variations (address)? Basically, they appear to have a list of things they can do, in some order, and there are only a limited number of first and late name first letters, so they have to use more than one number scheme. And then I guess for some names that have really common initials, they may have to use something else for the letters too.

(*Yes, my membership dates back to when it was called Guest Pirivileges, instead of Choice Privileges.)
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My lifetime Gold card came today, too. Almost all my points have been acquired through Discover America. Not sure whether I'll ever have use for this card -- I'm currently Platinum though a status match, and the only benefit I use is the longer booking window. Still, it's better than nothing and, perhaps, some day the program will offer benefit elite benefits.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Lifetime status?

Choice lifetime status is apparently a thing.

Today I got a letter awarding me lifetime gold status for earning one million plus points from stays. Nice reward, unfortunately I am no where close to one million even counting purchased points. The cost to Choice is pretty minimal given my less than frequent stays and the limited benefits so I am hoping they don't rescind the offer and call it a marketing effort.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Choice lifetime status is apparently a thing.

Today I got a letter awarding me lifetime gold status for earning one million plus points from stays. Nice reward, unfortunately I am no where close to one million even counting purchased points. The cost to Choice is pretty minimal given my less than frequent stays and the limited benefits so I am hoping they don't rescind the offer and call it a marketing effort.
How do you know you are nowhere near one million lifetime points? (Lifetime points is all points earned over the lifetime of your account, even if you no longer have them today.) Did you go back and count all the points you ever earned (whether you redeemed them or let them expire) since you joined Choice? Do you even have records of that? (Did you start in Choice Privileges or its predecessor Guest Privileges?)

A bunch of people got that letter in a short time period in 2012, when the lifetime program was apparently started:

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 15, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am pretty sure that I've bought over a million Choice points, but I've never received anything about being a lifetime elite member with them. Not that it matters much since I generally redeem those purchased points enough to qualify for at least Platinum status.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:03 pm

I recently received a letter stating that the previous letter which told me I had earned lifetime gold status was a mistake. Considering the majority of my choice stays are on points I am not surprised.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
I hit 1 million points three years ago. Ironically I haven't stayed at a Choice property since as I changed companies and am now a Hilton/Marriott convert. My current CP status shows as gold!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:36 am

I got the same letter regarding the mistake. I had status matched into Gold last year, but looks like that is gone as it was only good for the calendar year.

Originally Posted by kenban
I recently received a letter stating that the previous letter which told me I had earned lifetime gold status was a mistake. Considering the majority of my choice stays are on points I am not surprised.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is Choice still giving lifetime Gold status for those who have earned/purchased a million points?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is Choice still giving lifetime Gold status for those who have earned/purchased a million points?
Beats me. I forgot I even had this lifetime status! Is it documented anywhere in my online profile? I'm not even sure where my card from 5 years ago is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.