Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

If you value your family's safety and pets please read

If you value your family's safety and pets please read

Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Oh boy.
Yes. Rather scary, isn't it?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:12 pm

sure let's make a new account on FT open a new thread complaining how bad the hotel was and think we will have compassion for you....Altough I don't know if I will ever be in that hotel your post is just pathetic I think the hotel acted more than appropriated.I think you should be thankful to the manager on duty instead blaming her.
sorry buddy no compassion here
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by mitelsp
Altough I don't know if I will ever be in that hotel your post is just pathetic
Funny enough, I looked the hotel up, and while I don't really travel in that part of NJ/NY, the other reviews are very good and I will keep it in mind if I'm ever in the area and need a place to stay. To be precise: I went from zero hotel recognition to putting it on my list of places to stay.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Oh boy - three sides to every story - one persons, the other persons and the truth which is usually somewhere in the middle.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:04 am

As a dog lover from a family of dog lovers, and also as a landlord, my take is that it is irresponsible for a hotel to take breeds with known agressive tendencies. People who own the agressive breeds usually choose them not just as pets to love but also to protect, or at least deter, crime against themselves. There is kind of a thrill to owning a scary dog. Yes, many or most pit bulls (American Staffordshire Terriers), Rottweilers, etc. are sweet and trustworthy, at least as long as their owners are present. But the danger has not been entirely bred out of the pet dogs, and of course there are the fighting dogs where agression is purposefully bred in. And let's be honest, how many dogs have been completely and reliably trained? Not these pitts, and not the six month old pitt puppy who jumped his own front fence to maul my son's Australian Shepherd walking on a leash. The pitt's owners could not believe it. It would be unwise for me to put my other tenants at risk of a situation occurring when the dog was unsupervised and wound up mauling some child trying to play with the doggie. That particular news story pops up where I live every year. Yes, it is possible that a Toy Poodle could go postal just like a pit bull, but a Toy Poodle cannot do nearly the harm.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:35 am

As a dog lover from a family of dog lovers, and also as a landlord, my take is that it is irresponsible for a hotel to take breeds with known agressive tendencies. People who own the agressive breeds usually choose them not just as pets to love but also to protect, or at least deter, crime against themselves. There is kind of a thrill to owning a scary dog. Yes, many or most pit bulls (American Staffordshire Terriers), Rottweilers, etc. are sweet and trustworthy, at least as long as their owners are present. But the danger has not been entirely bred out of the pet dogs, and of course there are the fighting dogs where agression is purposefully bred in. And let's be honest, how many dogs have been completely and reliably trained? Not these pitts, and not the six month old pitt puppy who jumped his own front fence to maul my son's Australian Shepherd walking on a leash. The pitt's owners could not believe it. It would be unwise for me to put my other tenants at risk of a situation occurring when the dog was unsupervised and wound up mauling some child trying to play with the doggie. That particular news story pops up where I live every year. Yes, it is possible that a Toy Poodle could go postal just like a pit bull, but a Toy Poodle cannot do nearly the harm.
Wow, stereotype much?

Any dog can decide to defend their property, and a bigger dog will do more damage, just due to anatomical differences in size/muscle strength.

Sounds like you have a personal history that biases you against pit bulls, considering one jumped a fence to hurt your son's dog.

Define an unsupervised dog? One where the owner allows it to be outside without keeping an eye on it? To me, that's not the dog's fault that it was placed into that situation, that's the owner's fault, and that tells me that the owner isn't responsible. Or, did you mean unsupervised where the dogs are kept in a locked hotel room or house, when the owners aren't home, so that only someone who shouldn't be inside the home could be in contact with the dogs?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:18 am

Kipper, a lot of what you say I actually agree with. Many pet dogs of the agressive breeds are stable and trustworthy. I have known some fine ones, brave but kind natured, protective of children and dignified. Awesome. But those who are not are able to do terribly vicious damage because of their strength and powerful jaws. Many times it is not even the dogs' fault they wind up in a situation when the instinct to attack comes out. Maybe the owners are unaware or naive about this potential in their dog and do not take sufficient precautions. If you are managing a hotel, condos, or apartments, I believe it is unwise to take it upon yourself to be the judge of whether a particular individual dog of a known agressive breed is safe to allow on your premises. You can't control every circumstance where things might go bad, as this particular incident shows. I believe all the other tenants or hotel guests deserve for management to err on the side of their safety instead of taking a chance on an agressive breed of dog. It is not just my opinion, it affects insurance rates on rental properties.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Hotels have weight restrictions.. not breed. But it usually "weeds out" what are considered agressive breeds.

If I were to rent, I would make sure every dog had a CGC cert. and temperment evaluation from their vet - and current proof of vacs. CGC ensures the dog and owner have had training. Not every dog is meant to live in an apartment complex with tons of kids and other dogs, not every owner knows better or will accept that truth. Breed..not the issue for me. I think a golden could do some serious damage in a bad situation as much as a doberman or pit could.

I was doing an event this past weekend and a guy walks in with huge pit with a muzzle...that his dog keeps pulling off. He announces to all of the frightened people around him that his dog loves people but hates other dogs...yet he brought his dog to a pet store with other dogs. Total fail. He isn't smart enough to figure out his dog hates it there, but I'm supposed to take his word for it that his dogs "loves" me? I'm standing there attached to the biggest dog in the store...who is now staring at his dog because he's a sighthound and thats what they do...which his dog is now taking as a sign of aggression... so he's the proof that people are the problem and the dogs are the problem. Both problems easily solved - leave the dog that does not travel well/like other dogs/like kids/feel secure and is able to remain stress free in a foreign environment at home. And people need to accept that their dog may not be suitable for the dog park, the hotel, the pet store, or even a stroll around the block. Create a safe environnmment for the animal, and leave it there....don't drag the poor thing out to be confronted by what it feels threatened by. The dog that jumped the fence? I completely blame the owners. Fences come high enough to prevent that and can be solid so they have no idea a dog is on the other side. The dogs territory is what it can see, not where the fence ends. I have a high-prey drive greyhound, he does not go to hotels, pet stores, dog parks, or even walks.... he has a house and a backyard and thats it. My fence is 5' and has slats and landscape blocking. My neighbor 2 doors down has a tiny semi-agressive terrier/chihuahua mix that has no collar and runs loose. I already warned his owner that if his dogs comes into my yard it will be killed faster than I can get the "stop" command out of my mouth. So who would be to blame? Me..my dog... or him?

And Kipper and Tizette...you ready for the kicker? The guy with the pit was at the store because he needed some supplies for his new pit puppie...which they bought because they thought the full grown un-neutered dog-aggressive male pit with the muzzle that keeps pulling off would love and guess where the puppy is? Being carried around inside his 5 year old daughters jacket. I was trying....desperately...to get close enough to talk to him ..... what a freakin' horror.

In the OPS post, I declare all dogs unfit for a hotel stay! Beagle is a nuisance to other guests by vocalizing his displeasure for being left alone in an unfamiliar hotel room (who can blame the poor guy!) and the pits who bit him were loose in a room with an open or unlocked door? Owner fail! A maid could have walked in ...then what, she/he would be fair game?

(sorry - OT!)
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:48 am

Kipper, a lot of what you say I actually agree with. Many pet dogs of the agressive breeds are stable and trustworthy. I have known some fine ones, brave but kind natured, protective of children and dignified. Awesome. But those who are not are able to do terribly vicious damage because of their strength and powerful jaws. Many times it is not even the dogs' fault they wind up in a situation when the instinct to attack comes out. Maybe the owners are unaware or naive about this potential in their dog and do not take sufficient precautions. If you are managing a hotel, condos, or apartments, I believe it is unwise to take it upon yourself to be the judge of whether a particular individual dog of a known agressive breed is safe to allow on your premises. You can't control every circumstance where things might go bad, as this particular incident shows. I believe all the other tenants or hotel guests deserve for management to err on the side of their safety instead of taking a chance on an agressive breed of dog. It is not just my opinion, it affects insurance rates on rental properties.
Any breed of dog can be aggressive though. That's the biggest issue I have with breed specific bans.
Originally Posted by redreeper
Hotels have weight restrictions.. not breed. But it usually "weeds out" what are considered agressive breeds.

If I were to rent, I would make sure every dog had a CGC cert. and temperment evaluation from their vet - and current proof of vacs. CGC ensures the dog and owner have had training. Not every dog is meant to live in an apartment complex with tons of kids and other dogs, not every owner knows better or will accept that truth. Breed..not the issue for me. I think a golden could do some serious damage in a bad situation as much as a doberman or pit could.

I was doing an event this past weekend and a guy walks in with huge pit with a muzzle...that his dog keeps pulling off. He announces to all of the frightened people around him that his dog loves people but hates other dogs...yet he brought his dog to a pet store with other dogs. Total fail. He isn't smart enough to figure out his dog hates it there, but I'm supposed to take his word for it that his dogs "loves" me? I'm standing there attached to the biggest dog in the store...who is now staring at his dog because he's a sighthound and thats what they do...which his dog is now taking as a sign of aggression... so he's the proof that people are the problem and the dogs are the problem. Both problems easily solved - leave the dog that does not travel well/like other dogs/like kids/feel secure and is able to remain stress free in a foreign environment at home. And people need to accept that their dog may not be suitable for the dog park, the hotel, the pet store, or even a stroll around the block. Create a safe environnmment for the animal, and leave it there....don't drag the poor thing out to be confronted by what it feels threatened by. The dog that jumped the fence? I completely blame the owners. Fences come high enough to prevent that and can be solid so they have no idea a dog is on the other side. The dogs territory is what it can see, not where the fence ends. I have a high-prey drive greyhound, he does not go to hotels, pet stores, dog parks, or even walks.... he has a house and a backyard and thats it. My fence is 5' and has slats and landscape blocking. My neighbor 2 doors down has a tiny semi-agressive terrier/chihuahua mix that has no collar and runs loose. I already warned his owner that if his dogs comes into my yard it will be killed faster than I can get the "stop" command out of my mouth. So who would be to blame? Me..my dog... or him?

And Kipper and Tizette...you ready for the kicker? The guy with the pit was at the store because he needed some supplies for his new pit puppie...which they bought because they thought the full grown un-neutered dog-aggressive male pit with the muzzle that keeps pulling off would love and guess where the puppy is? Being carried around inside his 5 year old daughters jacket. I was trying....desperately...to get close enough to talk to him ..... what a freakin' horror.

In the OPS post, I declare all dogs unfit for a hotel stay! Beagle is a nuisance to other guests by vocalizing his displeasure for being left alone in an unfamiliar hotel room (who can blame the poor guy!) and the pits who bit him were loose in a room with an open or unlocked door? Owner fail! A maid could have walked in ...then what, she/he would be fair game?

(sorry - OT!)
Ugh--the pit owner at the store sounds like he just needs to not own dogs.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
1) This is a worthy topic and it's been an interesting discussion to watch, but the OP was gone in a...

2) Unless the OP and oliver2002 are the same member?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:13 pm

On the topic of "mean, evil pitbulls," I'm transporting one on Saturday. He's on his way from a shelter to a rescue, and is headed from NC to NY.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by kipper
Ugh--the pit owner at the store sounds like he just needs to not own dogs.
I swear, there ought to be laws against allowing certain people to procreate.

Originally Posted by kipper
On the topic of "mean, evil pitbulls," I'm transporting one on Saturday. He's on his way from a shelter to a rescue, and is headed from NC to NY.
^

Assuming that it was indeed the GM that someone quoted above, this sounds like a very service-oriented hotel. I'd stay there.

Mike
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I swear, there ought to be laws against allowing certain people to procreate.

^

Assuming that it was indeed the GM that someone quoted above, this sounds like a very service-oriented hotel. I'd stay there.

Mike
I'd be all in favor of laws like that in some situations.

So would I. They sound like they did everything they could for the OP in that situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.