Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Blind and Green
  • 64,000 total points, apply by November 30, 2018
  • 32,000 points for $1,000 spend within 90 days
  • Additional 32,000 points for $2k additional spend ($3k total) within 180 days
    • no annual fee
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2513&cellNumber=5

Print Wikipost

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Points post a day or so after your statement date.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: delta skymiles
Not applicable to current cardholders, applied it for my mom.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:02 pm

Do you actually have to pay for a night at a Choice hotel, or will any purchase at a Choice hotel qualify for the 16,000 bonus points? I'd much rather purchase a meal at a nearby hotel than spend the money for a night I won't even use.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Do you actually have to pay for a night at a Choice hotel, or will any purchase at a Choice hotel qualify for the 16,000 bonus points? I'd much rather purchase a meal at a nearby hotel than spend the money for a night I won't even use.
From the terms and conditions:

Cardmembers will also earn an additional 16,000 Points after the first paid stay with their new Account at a Comfort Inn®, Comfort Suites®, Quality®, Sleep Inn®, Clarion®, Ascend Collection®, Cambria Suites®, MainStay Suites®, Suburban Extended Stay®, Econo Lodge® or Rodeway Inn® hotel in the U.S.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
From the terms and conditions:

Cardmembers will also earn an additional 16,000 Points after the first paid stay with their new Account at a Comfort Inn®, Comfort Suites®, Quality®, Sleep Inn®, Clarion®, Ascend Collection®, Cambria Suites®, MainStay Suites®, Suburban Extended Stay®, Econo Lodge® or Rodeway Inn® hotel in the U.S.
Thank you. I am able to read the T&Cs, and did so before posting my question, although I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I am actually wondering is if Barclays is able to distinguish between charges that are for a paid stay or, for example, a meal at a hotel's restaurant. If they are able to distinguish between these two different types of charges, which presumably would be processed by the property as generic hotel charges without any specifics as to the nature of those charges, then clearly a paid stay is indeed required. However, I'm not sure how this could be accomplished by a computer (although it would be clear a $5 charge, for example, wouldn't realistically be for a room, so maybe there is a minimum dollar threshold), so perhaps Barclays can't tell what you actually paid for (room, or meal?). If they can't tell the difference, then perhaps there is a possibility that ANY purchase at a Choice hotel could qualify, and thus buying a meal could trigger the final 16k points for a "paid stay." So basically I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten the additional paid stay points with a Choice hotel charge that wasn't for a stay. I ask because the Choice hotels in my area are on the pricier side (for Choice, that is), and I'd prefer to spend as little as possible to get the additional 16k points.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Thank you. I am able to read the T&Cs, and did so before posting my question, although I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I am actually wondering is if Barclays is able to distinguish between charges that are for a paid stay or, for example, a meal at a hotel's restaurant. If they are able to distinguish between these two different types of charges, which presumably would be processed by the property as generic hotel charges without any specifics as to the nature of those charges, then clearly a paid stay is indeed required. However, I'm not sure how this could be accomplished by a computer (although it would be clear a $5 charge, for example, wouldn't realistically be for a room, so maybe there is a minimum dollar threshold), so perhaps Barclays can't tell what you actually paid for (room, or meal?). If they can't tell the difference, then perhaps there is a possibility that ANY purchase at a Choice hotel could qualify, and thus buying a meal could trigger the final 16k points for a "paid stay." So basically I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten the additional paid stay points with a Choice hotel charge that wasn't for a stay. I ask because the Choice hotels in my area are on the pricier side (for Choice, that is), and I'd prefer to spend as little as possible to get the additional 16k points.
The terms and conditions require a stay, but you are trying to get the points without making a stay. Seems clear to me. You can try to interpret things your way, but I doubt that you will get the 16,000 points.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I have updated post # 1 so that the links are to the best offer - 24,000 points after first use of card and 16,000 points after first stay.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have updated post # 1 so that the links are to the best offer - 24,000 points after first use of card and 16,000 points after first stay.
The link seems dead?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
The link seems dead?
Maybe after 1 1/2 years Barclay's and Choice have withdrawn this offer?

If so, they are offering 8,000 points after first purchase and 24,000 points after first stay paid for with this card - almost as good as the 2011 offer:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...rid=CHHOMEPAGE
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

This link still offers 24,000 points after first use of card and 16,000 points after first paid stay at a Choice property:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...13&legacy=true

Terms and conditions:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...req=CCVVS40444

I will now edit post # 1 again.

Last edited by onthego15; Jan 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

Choice is offering:
16,000 extra points when you pay for a stay at a Choice hotel with the card
Does anyone know to get the 16000 extra points for the first stay, do I have to personally stay at a choice hotel or simply using the CC to pay for a choice hotel stay is enough? The reason I am asking is I have another person as an authorized user on my Choice Visa, if he stays at a choice hotel and pay with his authorized user choice visa card for this stay, will I get the 16000 bonus points credited to my account? or alternatively if the reservation is under my friend's name and I offer to pay for the stay with my Choice Visa, will I get the bonus points? I read the T&C but it is very ambiguous regarding the particular question that I have.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windcloud5
Does anyone know to get the 16000 extra points for the first stay, do I have to personally stay at a choice hotel or simply using the CC to pay for a choice hotel stay is enough? The reason I am asking is I have another person as an authorized user on my Choice Visa, if he stays at a choice hotel and pay with his authorized user choice visa card for this stay, will I get the 16000 bonus points credited to my account? or alternatively if the reservation is under my friend's name and I offer to pay for the stay with my Choice Visa, will I get the bonus points? I read the T&C but it is very ambiguous regarding the particular question that I have.
Since he is an authorized user on your card, my guess would be yes. But if I were you, I would call Choice to be sure.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 16/24 link is still alive, and I'm tempted to apply for my wife (I already have the card). AFAIK, there is no way to transfer points between accounts, so any redemptions we do would have to be some points from my account, some from hers.

I could do it, but I wish we could somehow join accounts.

Oh well.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
The 16/24 link is still alive, and I'm tempted to apply for my wife (I already have the card). AFAIK, there is no way to transfer points between accounts, so any redemptions we do would have to be some points from my account, some from hers.

I could do it, but I wish we could somehow join accounts.

Oh well.
Not much doubt on Choice's policy:

2. You may not transfer your points to anyone or by any means, including through a will or divorce decree.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:14 am

I applied and was approved for this Visa (the link in the 1/12 post), and now I see that the geniuses at Barclay's have created a new CP account for me, even though I gave them my account number in the original application. What's the procedure for account consolidation here? Call Choice CS or Barclay's? I want to make sure all the points and the Gold status (FWIIW) are all in the same account...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.