Wiki Posts
Search

Sleep Inn: The Debut

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:55 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Sleep Inn: The Debut

I heard Sleep Inn started in 1989 (30 years ago, happy 2019 y'all), but the Choice Hotels website says 1986...who is right? And also, was Sleep Inn ever exterior-corridor when they began? I know the bathroom design in their rooms is what made them innovative, as did a staircase in the lobby.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you please provide a link for the place where Choice Hotels website says 1986? Thanks.

That sounds more correct than the WIkipedia claim of 1989. Here's what WIkipedia says:

In 1989, the company introduced McSleep, an economy brand utilizing a consistent, interior-corridor design prototype designed by Rob Spurr that was all new construction. The name was soon changed to Sleep Inn following litigation from McDonald's.[8] [13]

But if you cilck on the 13 (on Wikipedia itself) , you see an article from 1988 about the McDonald's suit being decided by a judge, so how could McDonald's have sued about the McSleep name and then gotten to a judgement in 1988 if McSleep started in 1989? That makes no sense.

So 1989 can't be correct.

Meanwhile, I didn't stay at a Sleep Inn until 2000 (in fact, I know that because it was at my first stay at a Sleep Inn that I joined the Choice program, and it tells me I've been a member since 2000). So I can't comment on how very early ones (especially ones that for a while had the original McSleep name) might have been built.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

This has the evidence.

https://www.choicehotels.com/about/corporate-history
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

And unless one knows how to cite info on Wikipedia, I wouldn't use them one bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.